The Real Problem

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, this was a terribly officiated game (just like the NE game in my opinion), but the real issue is the running game.

We came into this game with every intention of running the football. It appeared that the plan was to run Pollard early, then bring in Zeke to finish them off. Unfortunately, either we again refused to stay with the run, or the worst running defense in the league wouldn’t allow it. Either way, this is, and remains, the real issue with this team. Until we get this fixed, we are not going to do well in the playoffs (if we even make it).

For my money, (as I posted over a month ago) I still think we need Lael at LG and McGovern at C. I am not sure that McGovern can even snap, but Tyler isn’t getting it done. I think this lineup would allow us to run right at teams and wear them down. Whatever they decide to do, we have to get this fixed.

Zeke is clearly hurt and needs to rest, along with teams stacking the line and daring them to beat tight press coverage, which Dak has really struggled with. Once he starts hitting some plays like the 2 to Gallup, teams will start to play more coverage and will open up for the ground attack. I am now worried about the OL if Tyron is playing, think they are just fine.

losersgetcute

Reaction score
Need to have a lead blocker for Zeke, instead empty back field over and over, Moore lacks a feel for a power running game.
Literally the first thing I do in Madden franchise mode is get a fullback and add good running formations to the playbook. It's not rocket science...get cute in the end zone, not on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down...

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Literally the first thing I do in Madden franchise mode is get a fullback and add good running formations to the playbook. It's not rocket science...get cute in the end zone, not on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down...
Right, you don’t have to disguise a running play every time!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke is clearly hurt and needs to rest, along with teams stacking the line and daring them to beat tight press coverage, which Dak has really struggled with. Once he starts hitting some plays like the 2 to Gallup, teams will start to play more coverage and will open up for the ground attack. I am now worried about the OL if Tyron is playing, think they are just fine.

i wouldn’t say he’s injured.

he needs more rushes.

All the RBs need more rushes.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don’t care if I’m hijacking the thread.

We’ve lost 4 games this season. Two of those losses were a DIRECT RESULT of getting royally SCREWED by the officials.

They did their best when we were in New England too, but we survived that one. It only cost us a calf strain to our QB in overtime.

We’d all be feeling great today if we were 9-2 and coming off a win. The piece of **** refs have been jobbing us all ****ing year.

Remember those 2 clear-as-day QB sneak TDs by Dak this year? And how we somehow didn’t get credit for either of them???

It’s ridiculous. I watch an unhealthy amount of NFL football, not just the Cowboys, and I’m telling you guys: we get screwed more often than any other team.

Oh, we’re also 1st in the NFL in penalty yards against us this year.

At some point, you have to just laugh at the bull****.
:laugh:
Jerry should not have tried to block Goodell's extension, he apparently took that chit personally.;)

So yeah, the jobbing aint gonna stop anytime soon bro.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yeah, this was a terribly officiated game (just like the NE game in my opinion), but the real issue is the running game.

We came into this game with every intention of running the football. It appeared that the plan was to run Pollard early, then bring in Zeke to finish them off. Unfortunately, either we again refused to stay with the run, or the worst running defense in the league wouldn’t allow it. Either way, this is, and remains, the real issue with this team. Until we get this fixed, we are not going to do well in the playoffs (if we even make it).

For my money, (as I posted over a month ago) I still think we need Lael at LG and McGovern at C. I am not sure that McGovern can even snap, but Tyler isn’t getting it done. I think this lineup would allow us to run right at teams and wear them down. Whatever they decide to do, we have to get this fixed.
We came into this game with every intention of running the football..... no they didnt kellen thinks passing is what will win games.
I agree they need to fix the run, but first how about just running 35 times, and see what happens.
if you only run 15 times, you wont have a run game not matter what changes in OL you make.

The failure of the run game is all on kellen and their blocking schemes, not the players.

Shadowfax

Reaction score
We came into this game with every intention of running the football..... no they didnt kellen thinks passing is what will win games.
I agree they need to fix the run, but first how about just running 35 times, and see what happens.
if you only run 15 times, you wont have a run game not matter what changes in OL you make.

The failure of the run game is all on kellen and their blocking schemes, not the players.
I am fine with this approach. Absolutely agree we need to run it more. It helps if you have your best 5 out there. If Lael no longer is, we need out of that contract. I have to believe he still is.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i wouldn’t say he’s injured.

he needs more rushes.

All the RBs need more rushes.
They do need to run the ball more, but Zeke is clearly hurt. Think it's more about the pass opening the run game.

GMO415

Reaction score
Most of our offensive funds are tied to the running game, yet we don't run the ball enough.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Offhand, I'd say we're telegraphing the run. The other team is just too ready for it. Never any space.
This. Romo said it best. It’s the time of year where teams know basically what you are doing and you need to change up your approach. Kellen has some freedom for creativity but my hunch is he also has some lingering Coryell tendencies to regress into what Linehan and Bratkowski were known to do: run the same 4 plays.
Kellen really hasn’t even called plays for a winning season yet. He has a lot of growing to do and I think this is the part of the year where seasoned OCs like Philbin, McAdoo and even McCarthy need to step up input.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They do need to run the ball more, but Zeke is clearly hurt. Think it's more about the pass opening the run game.

how is he clearly hurt?

like Parcells would say… there’s hurt, and there’s injured.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Agree, but we need to be able to run in these situations. I think the Raiders were the worst run defense in the league. At least till they faced us.

I am hopeful with Tyron back, and more time together, they will work together better and we will see improvement.

A real problem continues to be Dalton Shultz’ blocking as well. He cannot sustain a block to save his life.

Shultz seemed like our best TE. Now all he does is miss key blocks and drop passes. He needs to sit.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
He is far from mediocre
He’s really good but he’s not a great blocker like many of the better receiving TE around the league aren’t

So which part makes him “really good” ? Missing key blocks or dropping passes ?

conner01

Reaction score
So which part makes him “really good” ? Missing key blocks or dropping passes ?
Do you have a clue how many drops he even has?
I’m guessing not
He has a higher catch pct than any WR on the team

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Do you have a clue how many drops he even has?
I’m guessing not
He has a higher catch pct than any WR on the team

Another stat boy, huh. He misses key tackles consistently and now has drops consistently. TEs are supposed to block and catch. A tight end that blocks poorly and doesn’t catch everything thrown his way to make up for the bad blocking, is not a good TE. He is not reliable in the running and passing game now. But you think he is good. I’d hate to see what you think a good doctor is...lol. Oh, he doesn’t leave any instruments in the patients after surgery MOST of the time. And he just not any good at all at diagnosis. But I like him, he’s a good doctor. You are a fine piece of homerism.

conner01

Reaction score
Another stat boy, huh. He misses key tackles consistently and now has drops consistently. TEs are supposed to block and catch. A tight end that blocks poorly and doesn’t catch everything thrown his way to make up for the bad blocking, is not a good TE. He is not reliable in the running and passing game now. But you think he is good. I’d hate to see what you think a good doctor is...lol. Oh, he doesn’t leave any instruments in the patients after surgery MOST of the time. And he just not any good at all at diagnosis. But I like him, he’s a good doctor. You are a fine piece of homerism.
Misses key tackles?
He’s a TE
He has 2 drops for the season
You really have no clue what you are talking about