News: The Real Reason We Didn't Sign Dak?

khiladi

Reaction score
You misread my post. What I said was when the other coaches did the spying on Dak, that was defensive coaching, which Dallas should have been able to counter. Yes two years running, you'd think Dallas could have figured out how to take away the spying, but not with Garrett running the show...

They just started the spying. Dak had 6 TDs last year rushing, meeting his two previous years. The reality is Dak normally needs WRs open, but the red zone is smaller and windows tighter. He’s not getting the 1 safety, man outside looks he’s been afforded his whole career with the RG and since Amari Cooper came along. Cooper has basically made Dak’s paycheck. In the second link, read Cooper’s stats in man coverage.

Though he has an 80 percent completion percentage versus zones, it’s almost entirely short-pass based. He has no touchdowns and two interceptions on 91 attempts.

The Colts completely shut out the Cowboys by doubling Cooper.

https://sportdfw.com/2018/10/24/dallas-cowboys-zone-coverage-is-daks-kryptonite/
https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com...-amari-cooper-face-challenge-with-colts-zone/

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They just started the spying. Dak had 6 TDs last year rushing, meeting his two previous years. The reality is Dak normally needs WRs open, but the red zone is smaller and windows tighter. He’s not getting the 1 safety, man outside looks he’s been afforded his whole career with the RG and since Amari Cooper came along. Cooper has basically made Dak’s paycheck. In the second link, read Cooper’s stats in man coverage.

The Colts completely shut out the Cowboys by doubling Cooper.

https://sportdfw.com/2018/10/24/dallas-cowboys-zone-coverage-is-daks-kryptonite/
https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com...-amari-cooper-face-challenge-with-colts-zone/

And so if a defense doubles a team's no. 1 receiver, then there's no way for the offense to counter that?
Sure there is, but Garrett's offense had no answer for it.

I get it, Dak's a horrible quarterback, if he can't throw tons of tds in the red zone it's all his fault.

:facepalm:

khiladi

Reaction score
The reality is:

Dak needs a lot of time to throw. While the league average is less than 3. If Smith goes out, this guy suffers tremendously over the long haul. Look at the second link down below.

Dak is limited in RPOs. He’s in year 4. This was 2018.

A month earlier, during Super Bowl weekend, Prescott detailed, “If you watch a little bit of maybe what the Panthers are doing or what the Chiefs did, just the RPO’s, the run-pass options, just allowing me to use my feet…Allow me to go out there and be more comfortable in everything I’m doing.”

This was last season.

This season..

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...iagrams-run-pass-options-jet-sweeps-bootlegs/

This last season:

“According to Pro Football Focus’ data, one of the main culprits is Prescott’s recent struggles in play-action passing. The fourth-year quarterback flourished off play-action during the 3-0 start to the season (SEE: 81.1 percent completions, 11.1 yards per attempt, 4:1 TD-to-INT ratio, 137.5 passer rating), but his numbers have plummeted over the past two weeks (66.7, 8.2, 0:2, 52.2).”

. Ezekiel Elliott’s rushing average has dropped from 5.3 over the first three weeks to 3.5 over the last three weeks. Why? Because the Cowboys use of two-tight ends has increased out of necessity, drawing more defenders into the box.

The first obvious answer is the Cowboys are playing better teams. The Giants, Commanders and Dolphins all rank in the bottom-third of the league in defensive DVOA, per Football Outsiders. The Saints, Packers and Jets all rank in the top-half. It turns out playing better defenses makes it more difficult to play offense. Crazy, I know.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/cowboys-offense-kellen-moore-jason-garrett-play-action

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
And so if a defense doubles a team's no. 1 receiver, then there's no way for the offense to counter that?

I get it, Dak's a horrible quarterback, if he can't throw tons of tds in the red zone it's all his fault.

So Dak’s struggles against zone are the coaches fault?

khiladi

Reaction score
And BTW, when Garrett was calling plays, Dallas was traditionally bottom of the league in play action. The running game was 31st when all was said and done after the 2012-2013 season.

With Dak, in 2016, Linehan upper play action usage to top three in the league and half-way through the season, Dak already had more play action attempts. While last in passing attempts among starting QBs, Dak was second in terms of percentage of passed pff play-action. Dallas was sixth this season and third in play action passing yards.

So this idea it was Garrett doesn’t slide. Garrett hasn’t touched the play-calling since 2014, when Linehan came.

Nine of Dak’s TDs came off play action Last season. which was third in the NFC.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

:laugh:

Its like living in blizzard world right? Where people think everything is black and white......there are some people on this site who don't hold Garrett accountable for nothing. I use to be one of those guys that gave him the benefit of the doubt until last season. He deserves nothing after the showing. He completely lost the team. I can't accurately judge any player on this team base don 2019....with McCarthy I think things will become more clearer.

erod

Reaction score
Lol not a single person liked any of your tweets. The same rejects liking all your posts here have given you a false confidence that doesnt exist outside of this little bubble where the mods protect you and the rest of the rejects. Ill see you on twitter bum
You live off likes? Sheesh, this is sadder than I thought. Did you not notice the complete lack of intellect and mental acuity among that exchange of Twitter losers?

You literally add nothing here. Zilch. Not a single cogent, well-thought-out point to aid a discussion of any kind. Over something as mindlessly simple as football.

I suggest some self-inventory.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You live off likes? Sheesh, this is sadder than I thought. Did you not notice the complete lack of intellect and mental acuity among that exchange of Twitter losers?

You literally add nothing here. Zilch. Not a single cogent, well-thought-out point to aid a discussion of any kind. Over something as mindlessly simple as football.

I suggest some self-inventory.
I don't live off likes. But I assume if i get them that the people agree with me and what I write. You have Pap Smear liking all your posts. That should tell you something. There actually a number of posters here that comment that I'm a good poster. Because I stay more toward facts and numbers.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't live off likes. But I assume if i get them that the people agree with me and what I write. You have Pap Smear liking all your posts. That should tell you something. There actually a number of posters here that comment that I'm a good poster. Because I stay more toward facts and numbers.
You're a Dak-Smear poster who sells crazy daily here about Dak.
So far all your prediction has gotten shot down and your pain is plenty.
Now hang tight as you have the final nail in the coffin will occur during the season when your Dak hits the bench for doing what he does best.....STINK IT UP!

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You're a Dak-Smear poster who sells crazy daily here about Dak.
So far all your prediction has gotten shot down and your pain is plenty.
Now hang tight as you have the final nail in the coffin will occur during the season when your Dak hits the bench for doing what he does best.....STINK IT UP!
Ive already set the sights on a new qb. I think its foolish by the gm but we shall see lets hope its not drew henson or paxton lynch

erod

Reaction score
Well, congratulations.

And thanks, Pappy, for liking my posts 45,000 times.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
:laugh:

Its like living in blizzard world right? Where people think everything is black and white......there are some people on this site who don't hold Garrett accountable for nothing. I use to be one of those guys that gave him the benefit of the doubt until last season. He deserves nothing after the showing. He completely lost the team. I can't accurately judge any player on this team base don 2019....with McCarthy I think things will become more clearer.

Yes, hopefully for the better. I understand, the quarterback is the most important player on the team, but he can't do it all, especially if the coaching is bad. At least we'll see how much of the problem Garrett was...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So Dak’s struggles against zone are the coaches fault?

Partly, it's impossible to separate coaching and quarterback play completely. Dak has made some bad decisions, but some of the play calling was horrid as well. Nobody, at least not me, is saying Dak doesn't share some of the blame.

But just look at the Seahawk's loss to the Patriots, it's been well established Carroll called for, or approved his OC's call, to throw the ball in the middle of the defense, rather than pounding Beastmode. Coaching cost the Seahawks a second SB win.

But does anybody blame Wilson? He was a SB winning, veteran, by many an "elite" quarterback, why didn't he change the play? But Dak gets the blame too much by many here...

khiladi

Reaction score
Partly, it's impossible to separate coaching and quarterback play completely. Dak has made some bad decisions, but some of the play calling was horrid as well. Nobody, at least not me, is saying Dak doesn't share some of the blame.

But just look at the Seahawk's loss to the Patriots, it's been well established Carroll called for, or approved his OC's call, to throw the ball in the middle of the defense, rather than pounding Beastmode. Coaching cost the Seahawks a second SB win.

But does anybody blame Wilson? He was a SB winning, veteran, by many an "elite" quarterback, why didn't he change the play? But Dak gets the blame too much by many here...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...reatest-play-super-bowl-history-beat-seahawks

One should also understand that OCs are limited by the QB. Dak is simply not a seven-step drop, pocket passer. The coaches have tailored the play-calling for Dak as well.

As an aside, here is what BB said to Butler, before the SB:

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...tt-kellen-moore-play-calling-third-and-short/

SCENE III Don't give ground. If you see that formation, you have to be on it.

These are the words Belichick tells Butler during practice in the week leading up to this year's Super Bowl. If the Seahawks line up near the goal line with two wide receivers bunched together -- and according to Ernie Adams' research, they very well might -- it will be Brandon Browner's job to jam the holy hell out of the first receiver and the other corner's job to jump the second receiver's slant route. Who would the other corner be? Not even the Patriots are sure. Kyle Arrington, Patrick Chung and Butler split reps in practice, but when Butler tries to undercut the slant and is beaten for a touchdown in practice, Belichick gives him a short talk, planting the seed in his brain.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/john-stephen-jones/

Now hear me out. With Dak most likely playing on the franchise tag this year and next year. The grandson will be draft eligible after the 2021 season the same time it will be financially unfeasible to tag Dak a 3rd time. The timing lines up perfectly and Jerry and Stephen are idiots who have a history of letting Nepotism run wild in the organization.

From what little I saw of him I wasn’t impressed.