The Reality of Jerry Jones GM and Owner

Doomsay

Reaction score
That guy is a joke. Read this sentence:

When I first walked into the Cowboy's facility as a free agent signing after leaving Jacksonville, I was filled with excitement, yet that would soon turn to annoyance, as I was constantly reminded of the privilege it was to play for the Dallas Cowboys.

In reality he was cut by the Jags, came to training camp with the Cowboys and got cut a few weeks into training camp. Then he pontificates on "the Dallas locker room". You might as well talk to the hot dog vendor.
When reality doesn't suit your narrative.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Sure, he is clearly a smart guy. But he is also clearly out of his lane writing about the Cowboys when he never played a regular season snap for the team. It reads like he is auditioning for an ESPN job.
He is more qualified than anyone here to judge the atmosphere of a club.
What's your opinion of the Cowboys locker room and business from your extensive experience both as a player having been there?

This guy has absolutely no reason to make anything up. He didn't go to the media and try to get famous, he posted on Reddit. Yes, it's his personal opinion so there is no reason to hold it as standard, he does however confirm many things former and current players have said. To take exception to with sentence, judge the man, and throw out the rest says a lot more of your character and opinions than it does of his.

He's eloquent, well spoken and the entire piece is well written. He also hung around and answered questions from many fans. You really have to be a self righteous turd to just toss it out.
Thanks for sharing, most players have a lifelong interest in maintaining public loyalty to a team regardless of their feelings - it's just this type of temporary player that will shine the light.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3l69g4.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m not really sure why some fans define the Garrett era as a failure. Unless it’s a Super Bowl or Bust mentality?

Jerry has lowered the Bar this era. Revenue , celebrity status and his control over football operations are the driving force now. Not winning championships.

The Cowboys are no longer a championship caliber football franchise. Jerry’s intent on being the face of the franchise has changed the course of our history.

Your last two paragraphs, cancel your first paragraph. Ten years of ineptitude, because organizational dysfunction. Garrett, allowed himself to be used as a front, with bad results.

Kaiser

Reaction score
When reality doesn't suit your narrative.

The reality is that Martellus Bennett is a malcontent who actually played for the Cowboys and he recommended the team to his brother when he was traded.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He is more qualified than anyone here to judge the atmosphere of a club.

And why are guys on their couch qualified either? This guy may know slightly more than the posters here about knee surgery but that doesn't make him a surgeon.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, most players have a lifelong interest in maintaining public loyalty to a team regardless of their feelings - it's just this type of temporary player that will shine the light.

I see.

Hundreds of players who actually played here are positive. That makes them bootlick yes men.

A guy who failed a camp tryout says its a mediocre franchise and that makes him the Second Coming.

Bias much?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your last two paragraphs, cancel your first paragraph. Ten years of ineptitude, because organizational dysfunction. Garrett, allowed himself to be used as a front, with bad results.
I’d argue average to slightly above average results, not bad. At least not bad with the Bar Jerry has set this generation.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’d argue average to slightly above average results, not bad. At least not bad with the Bar Jerry has set this generation.

I say bad, because the Cowboys have been thoroughly embarrassed, during his run; in spite of record and stats. Everyone knows, you can't win them all, but when you lose looking like the "keystone cops", it's embarrassing.

Brax

Reaction score
That guy is a joke. Read this sentence:

When I first walked into the Cowboy's facility as a free agent signing after leaving Jacksonville, I was filled with excitement, yet that would soon turn to annoyance, as I was constantly reminded of the privilege it was to play for the Dallas Cowboys.

In reality he was cut by the Jags, came to training camp with the Cowboys and got cut a few weeks into training camp. Then he pontificates on "the Dallas locker room". You might as well talk to the hot dog vendor.
You have the typical Homer view of the Cowboys, 23 years of mediocrity is what the real joke is and the biggest joke is Jerry.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I see.

Hundreds of players who actually played here are positive. That makes them bootlick yes men.

A guy who failed a camp tryout says its a mediocre franchise and that makes him the Second Coming.

Bias much?
That wouldn't have been my take, he doesn't seem to be bitter, just not beholden. Not sure where the other mischaracterization is coming from.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I say bad, because the Cowboys have been thoroughly embarrassed, during his run; in spite of record and stats. Everyone knows, you can't win them all, but when you lose looking like the "keystone cops", it's embarrassing.
That’s not how I see it. I see this tenure under Garrett as the best stretch since our 90’s team.

As far as embarrassing. Nothing more embarrassing than Jerry and this generation . Remember Garrett and the rest of the puppets this generation are on him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
That wouldn't have been my take, he doesn't seem to be bitter, just not beholden. Not sure where the other mischaracterization is coming from.

He isn't bitter and is clearly articulate. But his two points are that 1) Dallas is a mediocre franchise and 2) that is all because of Jerry's ego.

Jerry's problems are well documented but there are literally hundreds of players who actually played for the team who say its still the premier franchise. This guy spending a few weeks in training camp in Oxnard doesn't give him any real insight, especially compared to players who actually were in the locker room.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
You are using logic to reason with. Jerry does not follow logical thinking, esp when it comes to winning at all cost.

Jerry's top priority is to be a rock star, constantly doing interviews, constantly speaking like he's the hc (jerry IS our phantom hc btw), constantly remaining in the spotlight. Jerry, not Zeke or Dak is the face of this franchise. To relinquish control to a hc or gm is not an option on the table (i.e., even after 25 straight seasons w/o a deep playoff run) and it will never happen. To give up control is to give up his rock star status and take a back seat. His billions bought him a platform to launch his pseudo rock star act and post Jimmy he has played that role to the hilt.

You see, Jerry playing rock star, playing gm, playing hc, and micromanaging every facet of this org is his top priority, winning be damned. Well, a quarter of a century of playoff futility is not enough incentive for our Johnny Walker Blue soaked owner to try something different. If you think he will relinquish his rock star platform then you havent been watching as close as hardcore fans. Jerry may hire a strong hc who like Parcells can hire his own staff, but you can take it to the bank that the next hc will NOT have in his contract that they have final say in football matters. Only Jimmy had that in his contract, but then again he knew Jerry before getting hired and now we know why he insisted on having it explicitly written in his contract.

I'm afraid that Jerry has a "Til death do us part" pact with the fans, signed in blood with hubris as its foundation. We will never get a top notch coaching staff, will never get a hc with control. We will see the illusion of control relinquished, but the past quarter of a century says it's fool's gold. Now who wants to buy season tickets, jersey, and Cowboy's swag?
Excellent post.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I think we all need to pitch in and buy the Cowboys from our idiot owner

The reality is, it’s unlikely the Dallas Cowboys will ever be bought from the Jones family, the value of the franchise is too high and it means there’s very few who could afford it.
And I’m totally ruling out any groups from Asia or Arabia, the state of Texas would explode if it was sold to them lol
I’m afraid we’re going to be stuck with the Jones family.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, drunk mad Jerry called reporters after the snub by Jimmy and people he had fired to announce he would find 500 coaches that could get this team to the Super Bowl then said he would hire Switzer. He eventually did just that. So, it was a dumb, drunk, quick, and followed up decision. He just does not want that enema.

I wonder now if Garrett is off that list of 500, or does he think there are 500 teams that would hire him. :lmao2:

Dre11

Reaction score
Name the books. Anyone who claims Jimmy was ready to move on after the '93 super bowl is dealing in pure speculation and basing their assumption on Jimmy's track record. Of course, they ignore the fact that every Johnson move was a step up the coaching ladder.

Most credible sources agree that the cause of Johnson's resignation was Jerry trying to pull player personnel away from him in a contract extension offered after the '93 super bowl.

https://oklahoman.com/article/24613...elationship-lasted-longer-than-it-should-have

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go collect unemployment. If you’re fired you’ll get your check. That word fired better be in there. Words matter my cowboy brother

In the state of Texas if you are fired, you can't get unemployment. But after 6 months if you are are still not working, you may apply again, and will probably get it.
Use to be 6 months years ago. Not sure if it is still the same. I went through that with several employees I had fired. But they never did collect it or apply. Many people don't know that, or if they apply and get turned down, as in a few cases I had. They never went back to apply again, or they found jobs.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Hey, remember that time Jimmy stormed into Jerry's office and quit and then Jerry gave him $2 million to leave?

Yeah, I don't either.

Jimmy was fired!

Idiots abound.

Go Cowboys!

nnoL7d3.png