The reason Moore was kept

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can put the talk about Prescott going elsewhere to rest, he's staying with the Cowboys. Big Mike would not have hired Moore if they were even thinking of letting him walk.

Moore is Big Mike's conduit to the QB in this offense transition. He will be keeping some of the terminology to make it smoother but he saw the QB improve under Moore and sees the connection between the two.

And hiring Moore was Big Mike's call, he wasn't coerced into anything. Moore was already talking to the Huskies about the OC job as all of the coaching staff had been allowed to interview.

He chose Moore and he also chose Prescott, which also helped Moore choose the Cowboys over college.

Kellen Moore is Big Mike's Zimmer. Parcells saw something in Zimmer, even though he was transitioning the defense. Big Mike was a Moore fan before he was offered the job and might have even hired him if he'd taken a different job.

I think we all need to think when is the last time we saw a first year OC do that? They stumble and fall and while it wasn't perfect, look at the difference from a veteran OC in his first year.

I do believe Big Mike will be in the cockpit as the instructor and Moore will not be flying solo and he probably doesn't want to out of the gate. I also think Moore is going to add some pizazz to Big Mike's version of the WCO. Two good offensive minds can create synergy.

I really like the idea of keeping him but make no mistake about it, this was the bolt locking on the door that Prescott was being kept. And he will be signed, even if he's tagged initially to buy more time. They're not going to give a new HC and his OC a QB on a one year with a new offense. Hiring Big Mike wasn't the clue to that, hiring Kellen Moore was.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Moore was hired and retained by Jerry.

Moore was part of the package if you wanted this HC job. It’s Jerry’s last piece of puppetry and who I’d look to for taking over if Fat Mikey disappoints.

I would agree however that it’s an indication Dak is staying for now with Franchise Tag. Not sure why that’s even been in doubt?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think if McCarthy wants to give play calling to Moore then do it. I do think it will free McCarthy up to be the HC of the entire team not just offense. In my view HC is not just an offense or defensive coach, he has to be the man all players look to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course we’re All In with Dak. Franchise Tag is just a delay in eventually making him the highest paid QB in the league. Don’t believe me just watch. Unless of course KC decides to extend Mahomes early.

And we’ll finally be able to look for one of the highest if not highest paid QB to carry this franchise to a SB now that we of course have a HC we know is capable.

Im so excited the Bar has been raised again. What could possibly stop us now. Lol

quickccc

Reaction score
worth repeatin' :

I think the innovative Moore can offer some new formations and attack fronts that will help MM in this sense.
Its up to MM to help better manage Kellen -such as a tendency to abandon the run.

Also not just keeping Moore, but MM also kept assistant Doug Nussemeir who moves from TEs to the QB coaching role as well, besides the obvious promising signs of improvement with Dak, MM may have wanted to have some current status left over to continue working with Dak, and some instances he won't have to re-start and re-learn from different assistants all over again.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Im so excited the Bar has been raised again. What could possibly stop us now. Lol

tenor.gif

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Moore was part of the package if you wanted this HC job. It’s Jerry’s last piece of puppetry and who I’d look to for taking over if Fat Mikey disappoints.

I would agree however that it’s an indication Dak is staying for now with Franchise Tag. Not sure why that’s even been in doubt?

100%...

There was rumors from Jay Glazer that the team wanted to keep the entire offensive staff.. They actually still believed in those guys.

So they hired McCarthy...

Well McCarthy did not sound like a guy who was going to give up playcalling before he was hired or during his Press conference while being hired.

Then all of a sudden Kellen Moore was named the playcaller for this upcoming season.

IMO, he was most likely force on MM and they sold him on the idea of being a walk around guy.

I hate it. Absolutely hate it. You don't hire Mike McCarthy and not let him call plays.

I want no part of anything Linehan or Garrett approved of offensively around this team.

morat1959

Reaction score
You can put the talk about Prescott going elsewhere to rest, he's staying with the Cowboys. Big Mike would not have hired Moore if they were even thinking of letting him walk.

Moore is Big Mike's conduit to the QB in this offense transition. He will be keeping some of the terminology to make it smoother but he saw the QB improve under Moore and sees the connection between the two.

And hiring Moore was Big Mike's call, he wasn't coerced into anything. Moore was already talking to the Huskies about the OC job as all of the coaching staff had been allowed to interview.

He chose Moore and he also chose Prescott, which also helped Moore choose the Cowboys over college.

Kellen Moore is Big Mike's Zimmer. Parcells saw something in Zimmer, even though he was transitioning the defense. Big Mike was a Moore fan before he was offered the job and might have even hired him if he'd taken a different job.

I think we all need to think when is the last time we saw a first year OC do that? They stumble and fall and while it wasn't perfect, look at the difference from a veteran OC in his first year.

I do believe Big Mike will be in the cockpit as the instructor and Moore will not be flying solo and he probably doesn't want to out of the gate. I also think Moore is going to add some pizazz to Big Mike's version of the WCO. Two good offensive minds can create synergy.

I really like the idea of keeping him but make no mistake about it, this was the bolt locking on the door that Prescott was being kept. And he will be signed, even if he's tagged initially to buy more time. They're not going to give a new HC and his OC a QB on a one year with a new offense. Hiring Big Mike wasn't the clue to that, hiring Kellen Moore was.
And exactly where did you get this info or is this just your opinion?

kskboys

Reaction score
Moore was kept b/c he has a great mind for both play design and offensive approach that is correct for today's NFL. There would be no better candidate for that.

Anything else is mostly fodder.
To expound, Mo was kept due to immense potential. Good job, Jerry/Stephen.

kskboys

Reaction score
100%...

There was rumors from Jay Glazer that the team wanted to keep the entire offensive staff.. They actually still believed in those guys.

So they hired McCarthy...

Well McCarthy did not sound like a guy who was going to give up playcalling before he was hired or during his Press conference while being hired.

Then all of a sudden Kellen Moore was named the playcaller for this upcoming season.

IMO, he was most likely force on MM and they sold him on the idea of being a walk around guy.

I hate it. Absolutely hate it. You don't hire Mike McCarthy and not let him call plays.

I want no part of anything Linehan or Garrett approved of offensively around this team.
Disagree

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
All McCarthy said was that the playcaller and the guy doing the installs should be the same voice. He never said he was going to call plays.

He didn't even call plays in GB the last couple of years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Pure speculation on your part to fit your long running narrative. Moore was released and allowed to interview and he talked to Washington and Big Mike talked him into coming back. But have your fun, Greg. If you can't weave everything into a Booger bash, you're just not happy in your sandbox.

It would only be in doubt if Booger considered bringing Brady in for the center ring.

He could have hired Big Mike with a plan in mind to develop another QB. The fact that he brought back Moore tells me he's keeping Prescott.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
MM ceding playcalling after he had been so insistent on handling it was definitely strange, and definitely smelled like a Jerry force-job. McCarthy pry wasn't having his phone ring off the hook this offseason (was he connected to any other openings besides Dallas?), and realized that he wasn't going to get any better offer than here to jump back into the coaching game, so he might as well toe the line.

Know this about McCarthy: he talks a big game, but in GB, he was very much a yes men.

I don't like the process of meddling owner and rollover coach, but at least in this instance, I like the end result. KM's movement-heavy, more vertical offense looked like a genuine step forward for Dallas last year, while MM's offense had stagnated for years in Green Bay before he was fired. There's no question who I'd rather have calling plays.

The question is how much is McCarthy going to be involved - because he will be, to an extent. You saw that while JG took a back seat last year, he was never entirely out of the picture. When we loaded up under center with 2 or 3 TEs and ran straight over LG on seemingly every first down, that had the Carrot's fingerprints all over it. McCarthy may cede some ground to Moore, but he's not going to be entirely out of the picture either.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Pure speculation on your part to fit your long running narrative. Moore was released and allowed to interview and he talked to Washington and Big Mike talked him into coming back. But have your fun, Greg. If you can't weave everything into a Booger bash, you're just not happy in your sandbox.

It would only be in doubt if Booger considered bringing Brady in for the center ring.

He could have hired Big Mike with a plan in mind to develop another QB. The fact that he brought back Moore tells me he's keeping Prescott.
I wasn’t aware Moore was released by Jerry only to be resigned by McCarthy. Do you have a link on that? If this speculation on your part?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All McCarthy said was that the playcaller and the guy doing the installs should be the same voice. He never said he was going to call plays.

He didn't even call plays in GB the last couple of years.

He also was asked about it during his press conference and it sounded like he was going to do it.