The reason Moore was kept

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CC--- i bet "Otis" is a bit ticked off Dak has not signed contract yet?
Otis doesn't get into the money side of it. I'm glad he doesn't, I've convinced him that Bud LIght is the upscale beer. He gets on imports, I've got to get a job.

Brax

Reaction score
Not what's meant by that definition. That definition means, for example: If you saw an ant on the sharp part of a knife you might find humor in saying, "He's living on the edge." The pun being that the "edge" doesn't normally mean the edge of a knife in that context.

What you're doing is using a synonym, but the more vicious end of the spectrum.

My best friend (Rest in peace, brother.) was fine if you called him a big guy, at 425 pounds, but if you called him fat, you might not wake up for a few days.
He's safe behind the key board, no worries.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Otis doesn't get into the money side of it. I'm glad he doesn't, I've convinced him that Bud LIght is the upscale beer. He gets on imports, I've got to get a job.

CC---oh man Otis wants the "imports".....once he tastes them there aint no going back

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can put the talk about Prescott going elsewhere to rest, he's staying with the Cowboys. Big Mike would not have hired Moore if they were even thinking of letting him walk.

Moore is Big Mike's conduit to the QB in this offense transition. He will be keeping some of the terminology to make it smoother but he saw the QB improve under Moore and sees the connection between the two.

And hiring Moore was Big Mike's call, he wasn't coerced into anything. Moore was already talking to the Huskies about the OC job as all of the coaching staff had been allowed to interview.

He chose Moore and he also chose Prescott, which also helped Moore choose the Cowboys over college.

Kellen Moore is Big Mike's Zimmer. Parcells saw something in Zimmer, even though he was transitioning the defense. Big Mike was a Moore fan before he was offered the job and might have even hired him if he'd taken a different job.

I think we all need to think when is the last time we saw a first year OC do that? They stumble and fall and while it wasn't perfect, look at the difference from a veteran OC in his first year.

I do believe Big Mike will be in the cockpit as the instructor and Moore will not be flying solo and he probably doesn't want to out of the gate. I also think Moore is going to add some pizazz to Big Mike's version of the WCO. Two good offensive minds can create synergy.

I really like the idea of keeping him but make no mistake about it, this was the bolt locking on the door that Prescott was being kept. And he will be signed, even if he's tagged initially to buy more time. They're not going to give a new HC and his OC a QB on a one year with a new offense. Hiring Big Mike wasn't the clue to that, hiring Kellen Moore was.

Because Moore is a football genius but fans struggle to see past wins/losses.

He is the all time wins leader in D1 college ball while having less arm strength than some 8th graders That does not happen without great scheme and the QBs knowledge of the scheme.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Consider this. The Cowboys QB could possibly be tagged and also be a no show until right before it gets real. If you are the HC walking into that, what do you do? Wouldn't you want a fall back plan? One that kept the basics of the old offense and wait to change over until the QB has the camp and time to learn it.

Does getting tagged and not signing mean the QB can't see the new playbook or meet with his OC to go over it? I seem to remember Bryant showing up at practice when he was tagged and hadn't signed and was threatening to hold out. He wasn't dressed out but he was there.

Tagging isn't the best solution for the team but McC might have planned for a work around should that happen followed by a hold out. Moore could be his insurance policy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Consider this. The Cowboys QB could possibly be tagged and also be a no show until right before it gets real. If you are the HC walking into that, what do you do? Wouldn't you want a fall back plan? One that kept the basics of the old offense and wait to change over until the QB has the camp and time to learn it.

Does getting tagged and not signing mean the QB can't see the new playbook or meet with his OC to go over it? I seem to remember Bryant showing up at practice when he was tagged and hadn't signed and was threatening to hold out. He wasn't dressed out but he was there.

Tagging isn't the best solution for the team but McC might have planned for a work around should that happen followed by a hold out. Moore could be his insurance policy.
Does that mean you think Moore could play?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because Moore is a football genius but fans struggle to see past wins/losses.

He is the all time wins leader in D1 college ball while having less arm strength than some 8th graders That does not happen without great scheme and the QBs knowledge of the scheme.
It certainly helped Boise St plays a very weak schedule compared to Big 5 conferences.

A football genius might be a little over the top after 1 season. But I do give him props for appearing to elevate Daks game despite not having as much success.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does that mean you think Moore could play?
No, it means Prescott could hold out and show up just in time to get paid. Could Moore fill in as one of the QB's in camp and practice? I dunno, that would be interesting.

Some were questioning why Moore was kept by McC and why he would be calling plays and why they even kept some, if not all, of the terminology and this could be one possible reason. Having a QB1 go through the last year of his contract and be a FA in waiting is new ground for this HC.

I think part of that interview involved some "what if" discussion about the QB and different situations the HC might find himself in. While I do not think he will hold out all the way through camp, anything is possible and McC might have been forward thinking enough to give himself a safety net.

If you were the new HC with a new offense and faced with what he might be looking at, what would you do?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, it means Prescott could hold out and show up just in time to get paid. Could Moore fill in as one of the QB's in camp and practice? I dunno, that would be interesting.

Some were questioning why Moore was kept by McC and why he would be calling plays and why they even kept some, if not all, of the terminology and this could be one possible reason. Having a QB1 go through the last year of his contract and be a FA in waiting is new ground for this HC.

I think part of that interview involved some "what if" discussion about the QB and different situations the HC might find himself in. While I do not think he will hold out all the way through camp, anything is possible and McC might have been forward thinking enough to give himself a safety net.

If you were the new HC with a new offense and faced with what he might be looking at, what would you do?
I wouldn’t have retained the former OC from old offense and play calling. Especially if that was my strength as HC being OC, play caller of my own offense.

And why retaining the Pizza Boy has Jethro the Football Idiot written all over it regardless if Fat Mikey publicly went with it.

But I would agree it provides a scapegoat for our new HC if it doesn’t work out. And if Dakster holds out then retaining our former OC makes even less sense.

How ridiculous is it that Dakster can’t learn new plays or an offense. Lol

garyo1954

Reaction score

Big Mc has no choice. Without Rush (contract expired), whether Dak holds out or not he has to get a backup QB, might as well get someone with experience and prepare for the worst.

Let Mike pick a guy he wants.