The return of DeMarcus Lawrence

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Two years ago, it looked like trading up to draft Lawrence was going to turn out to be a great move. After moving and adjusting to playing left end, Lawrence was becoming a terror against both the run and the pass in 2015, consistently in the backfield, after missing a lot of his rookie year and flashing during the playoffs in 2014.

Then came the suspension and back problems, and we only saw a brief flash of the Lawrence of 2015 last year. With him coming off back surgery, we may never see that player again, but we at least were shown what Lawrence can be when he's healthy.

I consider him a lot like Tyrone Crawford, another player who gets flak for his play dropping off. Crawford played like he was on his way to being a star at 3-tech in 2014, virtually keeping free agent acquisition Henry Melton in a rotation role. He only ended up with three sacks, but Crawford's disruption was easy to see. The next year, he actually recorded five sacks and started all 16 games, but it also was easy to see that he wasn't as disruptive and it turned out that he played through barely being able to lift one of his arms above his head.

Injuries continued to limit his effectiveness last year, despite the fact he had 4.5 sacks mostly playing out of position at left end, and may keep us from ever seeing the Crawford of 2014 again.

If healthy and the injuries haven't taken a toll, though, I have no doubt that both of these players could contribute to this defense being able to apply more pressure. It'll be interesting to see if those injuries lead to younger, healthier replacements taking their reps or if they end up leading the charge instead.

Proof

Reaction score
I'd love for them to live up to their potential, but I'm starting to believe it may not be necessary. We've got a pretty solid rotation which should maximize the efforts of everyone. Hopefully those two regain form, but I think we're in good shape regardless. GOOD shape, not great. But yeah I'm rambling

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two years ago, it looked like trading up to draft Lawrence was going to turn out to be a great move. After moving and adjusting to playing left end, Lawrence was becoming a terror against both the run and the pass in 2015, consistently in the backfield, after missing a lot of his rookie year and flashing during the playoffs in 2014.

Then came the suspension and back problems, and we only saw a brief flash of the Lawrence of 2015 last year. With him coming off back surgery, we may never see that player again, but we at least were shown what Lawrence can be when he's healthy.

I consider him a lot like Tyrone Crawford, another player who gets flak for his play dropping off. Crawford played like he was on his way to being a star at 3-tech in 2014, virtually keeping free agent acquisition Henry Melton in a rotation role. He only ended up with three sacks, but Crawford's disruption was easy to see. The next year, he actually recorded five sacks and started all 16 games, but it also was easy to see that he wasn't as disruptive and it turned out that he played through barely being able to lift one of his arms above his head.

Injuries continued to limit his effectiveness last year, despite the fact he had 4.5 sacks mostly playing out of position at left end, and may keep us from ever seeing the Crawford of 2014 again.

If healthy and the injuries haven't taken a toll, though, I have no doubt that both of these players could contribute to this defense being able to apply more pressure. It'll be interesting to see if those injuries lead to younger, healthier replacements taking their reps or if they end up leading the charge instead.

The Patriots way and the Jimmy Johnson way is/was to just keeping adding talent and see who can contribute. Don't get bent out of shape about any one player other than the QB. Maybe Lawrence can step up or maybe it one or multiple of the other options like Taco, Tapper, etc..

superonyx

Reaction score
The only production I have seen out of Demarcus Lawrence was when Greg Hardy was getting all the attention on the other side.
Other than that he has been just another guy unfortunately.

Hopefully he can stop being a guy who seems like it doesn't matter when he is in the game.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'd love for them to live up to their potential, but I'm starting to believe it may not be necessary. We've got a pretty solid rotation which should maximize the efforts of everyone. Hopefully those two regain form, but I think we're in good shape regardless. GOOD shape, not great. But yeah I'm rambling

I think we've got the makings of a good rotation, but we need someone to step up and be disruptive consistently. Irving did it in spurts last year, so did Mayowa (and maybe they can up their game), while Collins was probably our most consistent. The last consistently disruptive linemen we had were Lawrence and Crawford. I don't necessarily care if it is those two who provide that consistency, just as long as someone does.

I was pleased that our pass rush picked it up some in the latter half of last season. If some of these players can step it up, we might can get the defense on a level where it supports the offense well enough for us to make some noise in the playoffs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The Patriots way and the Jimmy Johnson way is/was to just keeping adding talent and see who can contribute. Don't get bent out of shape about any one player other than the QB. Maybe Lawrence can step up or maybe it one or multiple of the other options like Taco, Tapper, etc..

I agree. As I just posted, I don't care where it comes from. I just know that Lawrence and Crawford have shown they can do it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Im almost to the point where Lawrence should be labelled a bust if we arent there already.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The only production I have seen out of Demarcus Lawrence was when Greg Hardy was getting all the attention on the other side.
Other than that he has been just another guy unfortunately.

Hopefully he can stop being a guy who seems like it doesn't matter when he is in the game.

That is part of it, and I almost mentioned that. For one player to be disruptive, it usually takes having another player drawing doubles that would otherwise be focused on him. It is very difficult to consistently beat double teams, so consistent pressure will come only if offenses have more than one defensive lineman to worry about.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Im almost to the point where Lawrence should be labelled a bust if we arent there already.

I think it's going to be a matter of whether he can stay healthy. If health limits him again this year, then really we only got that one good half-season out of him, so yeah, he would be a bust.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lawrence showed flashes in 2014. There were times where he was able to manhandle guys and be a major force.

I really hope he can get back to that form, but I don't have much faith in it. I see him as just another cog in the rotation of DL bodies we are collecting.. But it sure would be nice if he could step up and be the player some hoped he would be.

Proof

Reaction score
I think we've got the makings of a good rotation, but we need someone to step up and be disruptive consistently. Irving did it in spurts last year, so did Mayowa (and maybe they can up their game), while Collins was probably our most consistent. The last consistently disruptive linemen we had were Lawrence and Crawford. I don't necessarily care if it is those two who provide that consistency, just as long as someone does.

I was pleased that our pass rush picked it up some in the latter half of last season. If some of these players can step it up, we might can get the defense on a level where it supports the offense well enough for us to make some noise in the playoffs.

yup. what goods a bull without horns?

I mean yeah it can trample you and all, but I'm trying to see impalement from time to time

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on the point of labeling someone a bust.

If you want to review the decision to draft him, it was still a reasonable decision at the time. If he is a bust it's primarily due to injury but he was not an injury prone player when drafted.

Claiborne on the other hand was a bust partially due to injuries, but much more so due to a poor mental makeup. The team did not interview him prior to that draft because they didn't expect to have the opportunity to draft him. A detailed review of his mental makeup likely would have shown that he had issues. I would blame the decision makers for Claiborne being a bust.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Lawrence showed flashes in 2014. There were times where he was able to manhandle guys and be a major force.

I really hope he can get back to that form, but I don't have much faith in it. I see him as just another cog in the rotation of DL bodies we are collecting.. But it sure would be nice if he could step up and be the player some hoped he would be.

Injuries have reduced a lot of players to shells of what they could have been. I'm hopeful Lawrence will be able to shake his, but it's tough once that bug starts biting.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It depends on the point of labeling someone a bust.

If you want to review the decision to draft him, it was still a reasonable decision at the time. If he is a bust it's primarily due to injury but he was not an injury prone player when drafted.

Claiborne on the other hand was a bust partially due to injuries, but much more so due to a poor mental makeup. The team did not interview him prior to that draft because they didn't expect to have the opportunity to draft him. A detailed review of his mental makeup likely would have shown that he had issues. I would blame the decision makers for Claiborne being a bust.

The real problem wasn't talent...that just took time and on field reactions, to develop. The accumulation of positive results, due to the high number of injuries, wasn't enough to reward with high cap impact. Somebody got a good player, now...and without an added burden of wasted salary to get there. A tough decision, but the team still needed to evolve with a cap enhancing element towards a present/to future window.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked both players at the time, and I think we essentially 'hit' on them with the draft selection part of the equation. Both have been slowed by injuries, though. Especially Lawrence.

Crawford does generate a lot of pressure, still, even if the sacks don't follow. And he deserves more credit than he gets for staying in the lineup and playing through both injury and pain.

Both guys have under-delivered, though. Especially Lawrence who also has the suspension on his record. With the nature of his injuries, I'd be reluctant to give him a long-term deal, but he's a good enough player that he's going to get one somewhere.

More than anything, both of these guys have ended up being 'contributors' instead of 'difference makers.' I think we let Lawrence walk (or sign him to an extension after we let him test FA first) and try to renegotiate Crawford's deal down after next season. It's a shame for both guys, because we had the right idea for both of them. It just didn't work out big in the club's favor.