The roster building messages the SB teams made clear to Cowboys last night

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While watching that great SB game last night played by two excellent teams, there were some clear messages sent about how to build a Super Bowl roster. If only the Cowboys front office could ever de-code them we would have a better chance to play in a SB again.

Here are some of those roster building messages:
  • Just having a great QB without some dominating players in the defensive trenches is not enough. This is a fundamental truth the Jones boys never seem to understand. Yes having a Pat Mahomes is HUGE. But without that great DL the chiefs don’t win that SB. Below are some great, even dominating QBs that underperformed in the playoffs because they did not have a great D.
    • Aaron Rodgers- won only one SB because he didn’t have enough help on defense. That simple.
    • Peyton Manning- an all time great that won 2 SBs, but lost a bunch of AFC championships and a SB because until he was with the broncos, he didn't have a great D.
    • Dan Marino- arguably the greatest passer in NFL history but never won a SB because he never had a great D.
    • Joe Burrow- he’s great. But if the bengals don’t get a better D around him, he’s another Marino.
    • Putting this point another way, if the Cowboys had Mahomes vs the pack in January, we only lose 48-45, lol.

• Toughness matters a ton. Both the niners and chiefs are physically tough as nails. The niners are the most physical team in the NFL. Their defense punishes opponents. The chiefs are also physically tough. Their defense was vastly underrated this year. The mental toughness of the chiefs to stay in the game despite their offense being sluggish is testament to their mental toughness.

• Having a defense capable of keeping you in the game until the offense comes alive. The chiefs D kept them in the game when their offense was terrible the first half. How many times did we see Dallas‘ defense crumble while the offense was struggling.
So what are the implications for the Cowboys?
  1. Get better in the front 7 on defense. We need some major help at DL, LB. Secondary is ok. (Everyone screams for a new QB but unfortunately that ain‘t happening now and even if it was, we don’t have enough defensive support for any QB)
  2. Get better at OL and RB. We desperately need a running game.
  3. Stop wasting second round picks on medical or mental rehabs because the GM wants to look smart. Draft guys that can play NOW.
As I watched that SB last night, it was crystal clear that the Cowboys aren’t nearly as close as we fans want to believe. The most important upgrade these team needs right now is some dominating beasts at DT and LB and an improved running game. There will be no cavalry rescue of this team at QB next year. So better get a better D and running game or even if we had Mahomes he couldn’t save this team.

FoxF

Reaction score
Good assessment, that is pretty much the game I witnessed last night as well. Mahomes came through when it mattered and it’s been how they have won this year, with defense with the offense needing more talent.

I will add I thought there was some great coaching chess matches going on, which made a difference.

rambo2

Reaction score
While watching that great SB game last night played by two excellent teams, there were some clear messages sent about how to build a Super Bowl roster. If only the Cowboys front office could ever de-code them we would have a better chance to play in a SB again.

• Just having a great QB without some dominating players in the defensive trenches is not enough. This is a fundamental truth the Jones boys never seem to understand. Yes having a Pat Mahomes is HUGE. But without that great DL the chiefs don’t win that SB. Below are some great, even dominating QBs that underperformed in the playoffs because they did not have a great D.
    • Aaron Rodgers- won only one SB because he didn’t have enough help on defense. That simple.
    • Peyton Manning- an all time great that won 2 SBs, but lost a bunch of AFC championships and a SB because until he was with the broncos, he didn't have a great D.
    • Dan Marino- arguably the greatest passer in NFL history but never won a SB because he never had a great D.
    • Joe Burrow- he’s great. But if the bengals don’t get a better D around him, he’s another Marino.
    • Putting this point another way, if the Cowboys had Mahomes vs the pack in January, we only lose 48-45, lol.

• Toughness matters a ton. Both the niners and chiefs are physically tough as nails. The niners are the most physical team in the NFL. Their defense punishes opponents. The chiefs are also physically tough. Their defense was vastly underrated this year. The mental toughness of the chiefs to stay in the game despite their offense being sluggish is testament to their mental toughness.

• Having a defense capable of keeping you in the game until the offense comes alive. The chiefs D kept them in the game when their offense was terrible the first half. How many times did we see Dallas‘ defense crumble while the offense was struggling.
  1. Get better in the front 7 on defense. We need some major help at DL, LB. Secondary is ok. (Everyone screams for a new QB but unfortunately that ain‘t happening now and even if it was, we don’t have enough defensive support for any QB)
  3. Stop wasting second round picks on medical or mental rehabs because the GM wants to look smart. Draft guys that can play NOW.
As I watched that SB last night, it was crystal clear that the Cowboys aren’t nearly as close as we fans want to believe. The most important upgrade these team needs right now is some dominating beasts at DT and LB and an improved running game. There will be no cavalry rescue of this team at QB next year. So better get a better D and running game or even if we had Mahomes he couldn’t save this team.
My recent mock draft could build that defense that you are talking about.

Brax

Reaction score

Where does all the cap space come from for defense when the QB is so needy for players around him, what’s the numbers now it’s like 181 million vs 81 million just not happening and what top Defense players are coming at discount rates who want a SB ring when they listen to Jerry’s drivel.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where does all the cap space come from for defense when the QB is so needy for players around him, what’s the numbers now it’s like 181 million vs 81 million just not happening and what top Defense players are coming at discount rates who want a SB ring when they listen to Jerry’s drivel.
Mahomes eats a ton of cap space. They are somehow getting it done. Obviously Mahomes is way better but the chiefs have figured a way to have a great supporting cast with the most expensive player in the league.

The chiefs also have one of the best GMs in the league - Brett Veach. When you look at their roster construction vs ours, it’s embarrassing.

Aven8

Reaction score
KC has arguably the best secondary in football. They are fantastic at staying with their guys. As you said we need to fortify the middle of this D and we could be really good as well. And without a running game this thing isn’t going anywhere ever. We’ve always had stud RB’s. Tony, Emmitt, Barber, Demarco, and Zeke. It’s time to get another bell cow. And it doesn’t have to be a high pick. Just find one.

RD21

Reaction score

Great post Bob. I think you hit the nail on the head. Toughness. It seems to be overrated by some when reality is, it matters. The Niners seem to be physically imposing their will on both sides of the ball. There were multiple stops early in the game that were super impressive. Rarely did anyone get a free pass without paying for it. The Chiefs too. They were constantly putting hats on folks. CMC is a bad man.... however, they brought the pain to him as well. I'm betting he's a giant bruise this morning...

That "edge", or mental toughness to go along with the physical toughness, in my humble opinion, is what we lack the most. Remember in the movie the Replacements when coach (Gene Hackman) was asked what they needed to get back in the game, he gave a simple answer. Heart. I think that's what these Cowboys lack the most.

Add to that some Lineman (both sides of the ball), linebackers, & a threatening RB. Have we ever won a super bowl, or even really been close without a dominant running attack..? Not that I recall.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Didn’t think i’d see you with the “If Dak can’t do it nobody can “ mindset, Bob.

As if Mahomes is gonna give the Packers 13 points and not get going until the 3rd string starts playing prevent defense with 6 mins left to play.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post Bob. I think you hit the nail on the head. Toughness. It seems to be overrated by some when reality is, it matters. The Niners seem to be physically imposing their will on both sides of the ball. There were multiple stops early in the game that were super impressive. Rarely did anyone get a free pass without paying for it. The Chiefs too. They were constantly putting hats on folks. CMC is a bad man.... however, they brought the pain to him as well. I'm betting he's a giant bruise this morning...

That "edge", or mental toughness to go along with the physical toughness, in my humble opinion, is what we lack the most. Remember in the movie the Replacements when coach (Gene Hackman) was asked what they needed to get back in the game, he gave a simple answer. Heart. I think that's what these Cowboys lack the most.

Add to that some Lineman (both sides of the ball), linebackers, & a threatening RB. Have we ever won a super bowl, or even really been close without a dominant running attack..? Not that I recall.
That chiefs D has been underrated all year. Without their gritty performance all through the playoffs, the chiefs don’t win with even their generational QB.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t think i’d see you with the “If Dak can’t do it nobody can “ mindset, Bob.

As if Mahomes is gonna give the Packers 13 points and not get going until the 3rd string starts playing prevent defense with 6 mins left to play.
I don’t have that mindset. I would be glad to part ways with Dak. I’m tired of watching him. But if we don’t fix the trenches here it won’t matter who’s playing QB.

RD21

Reaction score
That chiefs D has been underrated all year. Without their gritty performance all through the playoffs, the chiefs don’t win with even their generational QB.
I agree. Their db's were very impressive last night. They were all over the Niners. Late in the game they stuffed CMC a few times as well.

Brax

Reaction score
Mahomes eats a ton of cap space. They are somehow getting it done. Obviously Mahomes is way better but the chiefs have figured a way to have a great supporting cast with the most expensive player in the league.

The chiefs also have one of the best GMs in the league - Brett Veach. When you look at their roster construction vs ours, it’s embarrassing.
Not wrong but elite covers warts and in Jerry’s case you can’t beat stupidity. If you believe Dak is going to carry this team like Mahomes dollar for dollar then failure is in the cards. There’s only 4 or 5 QBs that can carry a team and Dak at max cap dollars isn’t one of them not remotely.