The roster building messages the SB teams made clear to Cowboys last night

75boyz

Reaction score
In today’s NFL, it takes both. Only a fantasy football mindset says “all you need is a great QB”.
I have never played any form of fantasy football but what I will say, and feel very confident in projecting this is...
You give me a different and more highly qualified HC and QB on this same Dallas team and we at least are in the NFCCG if not the SB.

That's my mindset.

Insert a few better HCs and better QBs onto our existing roster and you don't feel the same?

If not, no worries bro, I understand how opinions vary.

1942willys

Reaction score
Look how close SF came to winning it

against any other QB in the NFL and maybe this generation (as great as Brady was I do not see him being able to do what Mahomes did) they win.

So a complete team and a real good QB can win it all and that is a lot easier to do then finding another Brady or Mahomes though you should always try

blueblood70

Reaction score
While watching that great SB game last night played by two excellent teams, there were some clear messages sent about how to build a Super Bowl roster. If only the Cowboys front office could ever de-code them we would have a better chance to play in a SB again.

Here are some of those roster building messages:
  • Just having a great QB without some dominating players in the defensive trenches is not enough. This is a fundamental truth the Jones boys never seem to understand. Yes having a Pat Mahomes is HUGE. But without that great DL the chiefs don’t win that SB. Below are some great, even dominating QBs that underperformed in the playoffs because they did not have a great D.
    • Aaron Rodgers- won only one SB because he didn’t have enough help on defense. That simple.
    • Peyton Manning- an all time great that won 2 SBs, but lost a bunch of AFC championships and a SB because until he was with the broncos, he didn't have a great D.
    • Dan Marino- arguably the greatest passer in NFL history but never won a SB because he never had a great D.
    • Joe Burrow- he’s great. But if the bengals don’t get a better D around him, he’s another Marino.
    • Putting this point another way, if the Cowboys had Mahomes vs the pack in January, we only lose 48-45, lol.

• Toughness matters a ton. Both the niners and chiefs are physically tough as nails. The niners are the most physical team in the NFL. Their defense punishes opponents. The chiefs are also physically tough. Their defense was vastly underrated this year. The mental toughness of the chiefs to stay in the game despite their offense being sluggish is testament to their mental toughness.

• Having a defense capable of keeping you in the game until the offense comes alive. The chiefs D kept them in the game when their offense was terrible the first half. How many times did we see Dallas‘ defense crumble while the offense was struggling.
So what are the implications for the Cowboys?
  1. Get better in the front 7 on defense. We need some major help at DL, LB. Secondary is ok. (Everyone screams for a new QB but unfortunately that ain‘t happening now and even if it was, we don’t have enough defensive support for any QB)
  2. Get better at OL and RB. We desperately need a running game.
  3. Stop wasting second round picks on medical or mental rehabs because the GM wants to look smart. Draft guys that can play NOW.
As I watched that SB last night, it was crystal clear that the Cowboys aren’t nearly as close as we fans want to believe. The most important upgrade these team needs right now is some dominating beasts at DT and LB and an improved running game. There will be no cavalry rescue of this team at QB next year. So better get a better D and running game or even if we had Mahomes he couldn’t save this team.
It's hard to disagree with anything you said above but there are about 30 teams that are clearly getting sent the same message lol but how is it that the Ravens didn't make the Super bowl they're built like that somehow their offense couldn't score no matter what when they really really needed to their defense look great to me I would trade their defense for hours every day of the week all year long twice on Sunday, pun intended..

Somehow the league MVP could not flourish even when his defense and his team was built that way to be tough to be in a low scoring battle and then he doesn't get it done but he gets a trophy for it...LJ first game of the 24 playoff d gives up 3...second game gave up 17 early shut out all 2nd half , LJ crumpled under pressure.

So it's very very difficult for the lead to have a blueprint to do everything that you mentioned and then have it all come together in crunch time literally the entire league was just put on notice... And yet what can they do about it??

1942willys

Reaction score
I have never played any form of fantasy football but what I will say, and feel very confident in projecting this is...
You give me a different and more highly qualified HC and QB on this same Dallas team and we at least are in the NFCCG if not the SB.

That's my mindset.

Insert a few better HCs and better QBs onto our existing roster and you don't feel the same?

because we are soft and that is directly due to Jerry

Tell me when you saw a Dallas team fight and scratch and claw in a really big game like both of those teams did yesterday

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Disagree with the OP. We don't lose 48-45 if we have Mahomes. Mahomes doesn't throw braindead pick sixes and throw up on himself under pressure, which brings down the entire team.

I understand the agenda is to made Jerry to blame for everything, and believe me, I blame Jerry for plenty. But Mahomes is an all time great QB and Dak is a good regular season QB who chokes under pressure. That's the biggest difference.

1942willys

Reaction score
Disagree with the OP. We don't lose 48-45 if we have Mahomes. Mahomes doesn't throw braindead pick sixes and throw up on himself under pressure, which brings down the entire team.

I understand the agenda is to made Jerry to blame for everything, and believe me, I blame Jerry for plenty. But Mahomes is an all time great QB and Dak is a good regular season QB who chokes under pressure. That's the biggest difference.
I would have to say of all the factors that have kept the Boys down for so long you have to make Jerry the number one
But as regards players Dak of course is it

kskboys

Reaction score
It's hard to disagree with anything you said above but there are about 30 teams that are clearly getting sent the same message lol but how is it that the Ravens didn't make the Super bowl they're built like that somehow their offense couldn't score no matter what when they really really needed to their defense look great to me I would trade their defense for hours every day of the week all year long twice on Sunday, pun intended..

Somehow the league MVP could not flourish even when his defense and his team was built that way to be tough to be in a low scoring battle and then he doesn't get it done but he gets a trophy for it...LJ first game of the 24 playoff d gives up 3...second game gave up 17 early shut out all 2nd half , LJ crumpled under pressure.

So it's very very difficult for the lead to have a blueprint to do everything that you mentioned and then have it all come together in crunch time literally the entire league was just put on notice... And yet what can they do about it??
One dimensional QB. That's why running QB's don't win super bowls.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While watching that great SB game last night played by two excellent teams, there were some clear messages sent about how to build a Super Bowl roster. If only the Cowboys front office could ever de-code them we would have a better chance to play in a SB again.

Here are some of those roster building messages:
  • Just having a great QB without some dominating players in the defensive trenches is not enough. This is a fundamental truth the Jones boys never seem to understand. Yes having a Pat Mahomes is HUGE. But without that great DL the chiefs don’t win that SB. Below are some great, even dominating QBs that underperformed in the playoffs because they did not have a great D.
    • Aaron Rodgers- won only one SB because he didn’t have enough help on defense. That simple.
    • Peyton Manning- an all time great that won 2 SBs, but lost a bunch of AFC championships and a SB because until he was with the broncos, he didn't have a great D.
    • Dan Marino- arguably the greatest passer in NFL history but never won a SB because he never had a great D.
    • Joe Burrow- he’s great. But if the bengals don’t get a better D around him, he’s another Marino.
    • Putting this point another way, if the Cowboys had Mahomes vs the pack in January, we only lose 48-45, lol.

• Toughness matters a ton. Both the niners and chiefs are physically tough as nails. The niners are the most physical team in the NFL. Their defense punishes opponents. The chiefs are also physically tough. Their defense was vastly underrated this year. The mental toughness of the chiefs to stay in the game despite their offense being sluggish is testament to their mental toughness.

• Having a defense capable of keeping you in the game until the offense comes alive. The chiefs D kept them in the game when their offense was terrible the first half. How many times did we see Dallas‘ defense crumble while the offense was struggling.
So what are the implications for the Cowboys?
  1. Get better in the front 7 on defense. We need some major help at DL, LB. Secondary is ok. (Everyone screams for a new QB but unfortunately that ain‘t happening now and even if it was, we don’t have enough defensive support for any QB)
  2. Get better at OL and RB. We desperately need a running game.
  3. Stop wasting second round picks on medical or mental rehabs because the GM wants to look smart. Draft guys that can play NOW.
As I watched that SB last night, it was crystal clear that the Cowboys aren’t nearly as close as we fans want to believe. The most important upgrade these team needs right now is some dominating beasts at DT and LB and an improved running game. There will be no cavalry rescue of this team at QB next year. So better get a better D and running game or even if we had Mahomes he couldn’t save this team.
Well said, except i think most fans are well aware of how close we are...its team execs and management that might be having trouble with it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Man you were so close to a like until you threw in that good regular season QB nonsense.

How did that good regular season QB look against the 49ers this year? How about the Bills? Did he look good against the Dolphins?

What Prescott is actually good at is being part of the load the team carries over an opponent they are better than. Nothing more than that. If you ask more from him he fails every time.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As I watched that SB last night, it was crystal clear that the Cowboys aren’t nearly as close as we fans want to believe. The most important upgrade these team needs right now is some dominating beasts at DT and LB and an improved running game. There will be no cavalry rescue of this team at QB next year. So better get a better D and running game or even if we had Mahomes he couldn’t save this team
Not just this but strong consistent leadership by example, not just a bunch of mouthing off one week and disappearing the next. True leadership find ways to help their team every week. Maybe you have 2/3 sacks or 10 catches or 100 yards but you find other ways to impact.

kskboys

Reaction score

That's my mindset.

Only if that HC is allowed to pick the players. Our D is way too weak to be a super bowl contender.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Good post but having really good coaches help. Situational football is the key. The Chiefs new exactly what they were doing in OT. The players rehearsed in training camp and for 2 weeks leading up to the game. The Niners players admitted they did not know the rules of OT in the playoffs as they thought it was reg season rules. Also I saw a lot of Niners players getting injured. Losing Greenlaw was unfortunate

75boyz

Reaction score
Good post but having really good coaches help. Situational football is the key. The Chiefs new exactly what they were doing in OT. The players rehearsed in training camp and for 2 weeks leading up to the game. The Niners players admitted they did not know the rules of OT in the playoffs as they thought it was reg season rules. Also I saw a lot of Niners players getting injured. Losing Greenlaw was unfortunate
Exactly.
As I posted earlier, you replace our head coach and quarterback with a few other higher qualified names and that coach/QB duo has this same roster in the NFCCG minimum if not the SB.

Some want to make it harder than it is.
With better coaching and quarterbacking THIS year we could have been in the SB.

Again my broken record...
Opinions vary I guess.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm quite sure many, if not most of the members of this site are strongly convinced that there's much work to be done before this franchise is ready to reach true contention. However, the trick yet to be completed if for the Cowboys front office to admit to that fact themselves. Better coaching and better talent must be high on the list of things to consider. It's time for some bold changes to be made whenever the Cowboys' front office sees fit to take on that challenge. There are at least a half dozen positions to be filled before a true contender is about to take charge.

It's certainly appears very true that this team and its FO isn't nearly as well prepared to assume such high hopes before that's actually possible. Here's hoping that realization becomes crystal clear to them in the near future, if not immediately. The days of weak adjustments and changes must come to an end as soon as humanly possible, if Super Bowl contention is ever to materialize.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm quite sure many, if not most of the members of this site are strongly convinced that there's much work to be done before this franchise is ready to reach true contention. However, the trick yet to be completed if for the Cowboys front office to admit to that fact themselves. Better coaching and better talent must be high on the list of things to consider. It's time for some bold changes to be made whenever the Cowboys' front office sees fit to take on that challenge. There are at least a half dozen positions to be filled before a true contender is about to take charge.

It's certainly appears very true that this team and its FO isn't nearly as well prepared to assume such high hopes before that's actually possible. Here's hoping that realization becomes crystal clear to them in the near future, if not immediately.
It's been time. For a long long time. And we refuse.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's been time. For a long long time. And we refuse.
True. Hopefully, the past Super Bowls and the talent that's involved in those meetings might convince Jerry & Son that dramatic change must occur.
This FO isn't coming nearly close enough to entertain their past ideas that this franchise is doing enough to deserve such blind confidence.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
True. Hopefully, the past Super Bowls and the talent that's involved in those meetings might convince Jerry & Son that dramatic change must occur.
This team isn't coming nearly close enough to entertain their past ideas that this franchise is doing enough to deserve such blind confidence.
I think it's like the triplets where Jerry thought they were why we won, even though those super bowl teams were D teams w/ great DLines and ballhawking S's. It's like, he doesn't even see it.

If you asked him about the super bowl yesterday, would he even mention the great DLine play?