The "Roughing the passer" rule will remain intact

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Pretty soon this will become flag football.

Before it was you can't hit the QB high or low. Now you can't hit him at all. Why bother pass protecting anymore? Just let the other team get your QB at any time you want a free 15 yards and a first down!

The calls last week were laughable, especially the Tyrone Crawford and Clay Matthews "hits". These NFL QB's are marketable and the league wants to protect that, I get it.

But at what point does it stop becoming football?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s time for football purist to come to terms with the owners and leagues priorities.

The NFL hasn’t been just about football for decades now.

GenoT

Reaction score
“The bad calls will continue until TV ratings improve.”

Praxit

Reaction score
so did the 8 members voted for it..?? Confused here...

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
I'm sure the last question they ask is "What would our Commissioner do?" Because we all know he has the pulse of the fans :mad:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If someone is that scared, they shouldn't be playing... I agree to an extent but (for example) the Clay Matthews tackles over the weekend is not roughing the passer...
They aren't playing, they are all owner or FO. even the QBs don't like the rule.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It would be fine if every other QB was like Eli Manning and you could just sack him with a threatening gesture.

giphy.gif

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL is Entertainment Sports at the highest level.

The league representing the owners are protecting their greatest multi million dollar investment .. the QB.

This is true, and I understand it to a point, but unlike most controversial rules, this particular rule doesn't seem to have supporters on both sides. I haven't read any comments from fans or media saying this rule makes sense. It amounts to calling a penalty for clean football and solid, form tackling.

If anyone has watched it, the video included in the article about the competition committee's recent meeting is nonsense. The examples shown of ways to tackle the QB to avoid a penalty were either with the tackler chasing the QB outside the pocket, or having to work around or through blockers where they couldn't get a straight shot at the tackle. That's not always how it works. There at times a tackler does get a clean shot, and he should be able to make the tackle straight on without having to find a way to contort his body to change the direction his body falls, or adjust his positioning at the last second to avoid a direct tackle.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is true, and I understand it to a point, but unlike most controversial rules, this particular rule doesn't even seem to have supporters on both sides. I haven't read any comments from fans or media saying this rule makes sense. It amounts to calling a penalty for clean football and solid, form tackling.

If anyone has watched it, the video included in the article about the competition committee's recent meeting is nonsense. The examples shown of ways to tackle the QB to avoid a penalty were either with the tackler chasing the QB outside the pocket, or having to work around or through blockers where they couldn't get a straight shot at the tackle. That's not always how it works. There at times a tackler does get a clean shot, and he should be able to make the tackle straight on without having to find a way to contort his body to change the direction his body falls, or adjust his positioning at the last second to avoid a direct tackle.
This rule isn’t about the fans.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This rule isn’t about the fans.

I understand they can't always bow to the fan desires, but they better be aware if there is across the board agreement that the NFL is doing unforgivable harm the product. The NFL has flirted with that before, but generally people can see 2 sides of the issue, even if they a strongly on one side. In this case it seems the fans are pretty united.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand they can't always bow to the fan desires, but they better be aware if there is across the board agreement that the NFL is doing unforgivable harm the product. The NFL has flirted with that before, but generally people can see 2 sides of the issue, even if they a strongly on one side. In this case it seems the fans are pretty united.
The fans have never united against any issue that had any effects I’m aware of.

What action do you have plans for?

Sure, we’ll complain all the way to the bank like the football junkies we are.