CFZ The Rubber Meets The Road - Dak with McCarthy as OC

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Never saw moore abandon the run once when we were gashing them. That was garrett.

Only time moore got pass happy is when we got behind because he was running zeke.

Zeke was his biggest blunder. And pollard.
Not strictly correct.

49er's loss in 2023. Zeke's last two touches were 3yrds, 4yrds that created a 1st Down......for the rest of the three possessions we threw every time (and only the last drive needed hurry up passing offense).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not strictly correct.

49er's loss in 2023. Zeke's last two touches were 3yrds, 4yrds that created a 1st Down......for the rest of the three possessions we threw every time (and only the last drive needed hurry up passing offense).
Thought I add onto the end of this point .....FOR THOSE WHO DONT BELIEVE WE NEED TO DO BETTER STOPPING THE RUN, the 9ers took off over 9 minutes off the clock in the 4thQ by running the ball.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This will be the first year in Daks career that he will have a real Head coach AND OC at the same time. Not a head coach and/or OC in training. I expect a great year from him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I knew somebody would bring that up. 2016 when Dak was a rookie defenses were adjusting to Dak and that year they were playing back giving WRs the underneath routes and Beasley was open all the time. Zeke was running wild and Dak was looking like the answer. That year though we saw the Giants and Vikings adjust and we saw Dak stumble just a little.
2017 when defenses adjusted we saw Dak struggle. But surely you will make up some excuse like Dak doesn't have good enough WRs, oline, RBs, TEs. Dak always is given a million excuse by his following.
It’s not an excuse it’s reality. But keep making up excuses as to why Dak can’t execute a run first offense when he’s already proven he can

Gaede

Reaction score
I do believe Mike will be putting Dak and the receivers in a better position to succeed by simplifying the offense. Dak and the WR were off many times last year, resulting in many turnovers. That's my biggest hope.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not strictly correct.

So every once in a while?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Let's face it, other than Lamb and Pollard we didn't have the offensive weapons.
Kinda true, kinda not. I mean go compare our top two RB's versus KC's top two. Our total team rushing vs KC.

Were our weapons as good as you would like last year? No, we could have used better wide receiver play from rest of roster for sure. But our TE's combined to take up some of the slack.

For most of the year, KC had no weapons other than Kelce and Mahomes. Therein lies the real difference IMO. Mahomes made his other receivers weapons by being able to get them the ball regardless of their skill level. Their coaching made them all better and unlike our teams they got better as the year went along. So that by the playoff run, Pacheco, Sky Moore & K Toney were also contributing.

Just saying it isn't all a lack of weapons, it's the ability to make full use of what you have. Certainly Mahomes being the best QB in the league is an unfair advantage but it still doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to do more with what we have.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It’s not an excuse it’s reality. But keep making up excuses as to why Dak can’t execute a run first offense when he’s already proven he can
We're not talking about a run first offense. We're talking about a west coast offense where they throw accurate short passes to the RBs as a running game. And quick slants and post routes to the TE and WRs
That requires ball placement so you don't get guys killed going over the middle.

leeblair

Reaction score
We talk about lots of different things on this board regarding what will make or break our 2023 season, but in my opinion the biggest single factor (besides possibly injuries—which are beyond anyone’s control) is how will Dak play with MM as OC. In my opinion that is THE single biggest factor on whether we will reach the SB or not.

KM had moments of brilliance, but he also had what many would call moments of greedy stupidity. I have no doubt that there will be elements of the game plan which may lack the imagination or KM but overall, I think slow and steady could possibly win this race.

Dak may or may not put up gaudy numbers this year but the only statistic I am concerned with is WINS. How many times did we see a KM led team give up on the run when we were gashing a team with the run? How many times did we see us have a bomb on 3rd and 1 killing a productive drive? How many times did we see unimaginative running plays? How many times did we see KM run a slow footed Zeke into the teeth of the defense instead of Pollard off tackle for 10? How many times did the offense have a short 3 and out and get a tired defense back on the field?

There may be areas that the Cowboys regress a little bit under MM, but I think overall you will see the team play more for wins and less for stats. We might not score 40 as many times, and yet win more games.

In my opinion I think MM will sit Dak down early and attempt to dial back the gunslinging and rely more on the defense and the running game. I think the draft hints at that too. There is an emphasis on winning at the line of scrimmage and stopping the run on defense.

The results may be less flashy, and less sexy but in the end result in more wins.

If so, I applaud getting back to hard nosed football and winning games. Less flash more substance. That’s what I think you are going to see under MM as OC.
I agree that it will be good for Dak to play directly under McCarthy's tutelage. This way there will be no doubt as to who takes the blame if they fail.
And it is possible that McCarthy can make Dak better; he's a solid coach.
But I think the result will be a permanent fracture between Dak and McCarthy- and a change will be imminent.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never saw moore abandon the run once when we were gashing them. That was garrett.

Only time moore got pass happy is when we got behind because he was running zeke.

Zeke was his biggest blunder. And pollard.
What games were you watching. KM abandoned the run quite often. And when Zeke was running well.
You blame it all on Zeke...it was not him at least the first half of the season, until his knee injury.

When Pollard had his chances he did not take over like he should have. With the exception of breaking some long plays. That was great, but did not happen enough.

Zeke, Zeke, Zeke...that is all you can post the blame on...How about Dak and his high INT ratio. Those cost much more than Zeke. Especially against SF when it counted the most.
Zeke was not running well, and Dak could not carry the team.

offlimits

Reaction score
I opined this a couple of months ago but I do believe a McCarthy, west coast style offense, will benefit Dak immensely. I am optimistic that it will cut down on his INTs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What games were you watching. KM abandoned the run quite often. And when Zeke was running well.
You blame it all on Zeke...it was not him at least the first half of the season, until his knee injury.

When Pollard had his chances he did not take over like he should have. With the exception of breaking some long plays. That was great, but did not happen enough.

Zeke, Zeke, Zeke...that is all you can post the blame on...How about Dak and his high INT ratio. Those cost much more than Zeke. Especially against SF when it counted the most.
Zeke was not running well, and Dak could not carry the team.
I mean, your really not qualified to talk about the RB's, Zeke or Pollard to be honest. Pollard was like 3rd in the NFL in ypc. He was a stud when he was in there. #1 or top 3 in yards after contact or something like that. Its why he made the pro bowl.

As far as abandoning the run that was overblown. It was proven. I think most fans dont understand situational play calling.

I rarely saw us go away from the run when we were killing it in the run game.

With Garrett you saw it weekly.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean, your really not qualified to talk about the RB's, Zeke or Pollard to be honest. Pollard was like 3rd in the NFL in ypc. He was a stud when he was in there. #1 or top 3 in yards after contact or something like that. Its why he made the pro bowl.

As far as abandoning the run that was overblown. It was proven. I think most fans dont understand situational play calling.

I rarely saw us go away from the run when we were killing it in the run game.

With Garrett you saw it weekly.
Neither are you.

morasp

Reaction score
Kinda true, kinda not. I mean go compare our top two RB's versus KC's top two. Our total team rushing vs KC.

Were our weapons as good as you would like last year? No, we could have used better wide receiver play from rest of roster for sure. But our TE's combined to take up some of the slack.

For most of the year, KC had no weapons other than Kelce and Mahomes. Therein lies the real difference IMO. Mahomes made his other receivers weapons by being able to get them the ball regardless of their skill level. Their coaching made them all better and unlike our teams they got better as the year went along. So that by the playoff run, Pacheco, Sky Moore & K Toney were also contributing.

Just saying it isn't all a lack of weapons, it's the ability to make full use of what you have. Certainly Mahomes being the best QB in the league is an unfair advantage but it still doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to do more with what we have.
No argument there. In the past when I talk about the teams that made it to the conference championship I always mention that it doesn't seem to matter with Mahomes. But if you compare our pass catchers to the others we come up second with each of them.

McCaffrey
Kittle
Aiyuk
Samuel

Chase
Boyd
Higgins

AJ Brown
Devonta Smith
Dallas Goedert

Lamb
One legged Gallup
Dalton Schultz
Noah Brown

Juts my opinion but I think that we improved the talent this year but we'll have to see how it plays out.

Lamb
Cooks
Healthier Gallup
Schoonmaker (depends on how quickly he comes along).

Last edited:

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Weren't Packers fans tired or MM as OC, saying he was terrible predictable and abandoned the run? Sounds just like Garrett.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Oh there was two? And were they stacking against the run or you didnt notice? Just assumed?
Run the damn ball as MM says.

And I find it funny, some accused Dak of calling pass plays instead of running the ball as it was called.

Now you say, passing was the right call because they stacked the line.

Lastly, did you watch and tell us y, yes it was stacked? Or just assumed?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This owner and team are all about flash over substance and Booger wants to prove that Prescott was worth the deal he gave him and is a top echelon QB.

Last season, the Cowboys ranked 6th in rush attempts and 19th in pass attempts. I do not see McC getting beyond that, if at that level. He seldom approached 50% rush attempts when calling plays in GB.

He has a QB coming off a criticized performance because of turnovers and he will be out to redeem himself and to show everyone he belongs and I can't blame him for that, ego is a strong force and can be beneficial.

I think any HC of the DC would have to deal with PT Booger's idea of what football is because convincing him that it's not all about marketing, promotion and entertainment is a tall order because look at where this team is and what it has accomplished in these miserable 27 years.

The fact that Booger openly stated that he gets the game plan every week says it all to me. I do not think that is the norm in the NFL, I do not think other GM's approve the HC's game plans. Then again, no other owner, even the ones with NFL experience, has ever said they were in it jocks to socks.
That is how I see it, Jones boys have influenced game plans and player utilization for a long time.
They dont do anything directly, but will say to coach, I want to see this or that, and what can the coach then do?
That is part of their meddling.

As for mike as playcaller, could work out good, could be bad, have to wait and see.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Weren't Packers fans tired or MM as OC, saying he was terrible predictable and abandoned the run? Sounds just like Garrett.
it was very much like here with cowboys, they got to playoffs being in a weak div, and then lost to better teams and coaches in playoffs.
Fans got tired of losing in playoffs after looking great all season lol. sound familiar?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
when Moore is working with chicken crap they are not much you can do. how many times did super dak change out of the run because the defense scared him? I think this year we can blame fat Mike since dak has never been bad.