The Running QB

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Ravens allowed a RB to put up 195 yards rushing and a QB that had 72 yards passing account for 3 TD (2 by air 1 by ground).

That is the reason the Ravens lost.

As for as QBs. Give me a QB that can run and I will show you the greatest QB in Dallas Cowboys History...Roger Staubach. Emphasis QB that can Run. The political correct for Staubach, Young, Tarkenton, and Elway was they were QBs that can scramble. Warren Moon, Doug Williams, Cam Newton, Reggie Collier, Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, Russell Wilson, and Kyler Murray were described as running QBs. The word scramble was never used for these QBs.

Troy Aikman originally enrolled at run happy Oklahoma with Barry Switzer. His 40 yd. time was 4.70 out of college (after he put on 10 pounds at UCLA). However, Aikman said the following " I ran the wishbone at Oklahoma and I ran a 4.6 [40-yard dash] at one point when I was in college."

Don't believe the stereotype hype. A running QB is a QB that can run. A QB that can run has always been the optimal in the NFL (and at every other level of football). NFL ownership, management and coaching has finally embraced all QBs that can run and not just QBs that can scramble. The running QB is a stereotype myth.

I don't think anyone ever considered Doug Williams to be a running QB. He didn't run much in college and really didn't run the ball much in the NFL, either. Same with Moon.

Lamar Jackson is a very young QB. He is learning the NFL game. He improved from year 1 to year 2. Also, his coaches had him do more this year than last. Maybe he will continue that growth. He is a month younger than the QB who won the national championship last night. He has room and the opportunity to continue to improve. Will he? Who knows. All young QBs have to continue to learn and improve their game in order to have long term success. Teams normally tailor offenses towards a young QBs strengths and then each year add more to their workload. There have been plenty of QBs who could not improve and disappeared eventually from the NFL. The ones that succeed do so by mastering the many facets of the position.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"Dodge" means "avoid", not "run". He was very rarely ever used within the offense as a runner, and in fact, Landry specifically decreed to Staubach that his purpose was to be a passer and not a runner. Staubach's yards came as a scrambler who could get out of trouble and gain yards with his legs when pass protection broke down.

You are correct, that there were no designed plays for him, Tarkenton, Elway, Young, and a few others to run, but they all still ran and defensive players had to be aware of that attribute.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He was not a running QB. A running QB was Bobby Douglas, who only had two seasons with a high amount of runs (141 times in 1972 and 94 times in 1973). The most Rogers ran was 55 times in 1975, the same with Fran Tarkenton.

Ok

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Roger was a scrambling QB, not a running QB.

Scrambling is done behind the line of scrimmage. Roger used his legs to also gain yards. I'm not comparing him to Vick or Jackson, but I watched him, Tarkenton, Young, Elway, and a few others; use their legs well, to move the chains.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Dak is more Watson/Mahommes/Wilson in terms of the "running qb" type model. Dak is essentially a mobile pocket passer who's athletic enough to run feature (read option) from time to time. He's not a Jackson or a run based-feature type QB.

Disagree. This is a common misconception on Dak. He is nowhere near as fast as the QB’s you listed. They didn’t run him as much this year because he simply isn’t that fast. Wilson is a crazy East/West runner who can make the defense miss. Mahomes can beat you with his arm most of the time, but I’ve seen him scramble pretty fast. Watson is a skinny, lean QB who often has to run anyways because of his O-line. He has quick feet. Dak? Runs with 30 lb cement shoes. That’s why they’ve attempted to turn him into a pure pocket passer this year. He cannot be a running QB or mobile QB.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Scrambling is done behind the line of scrimmage. Roger used his legs to also gain yards. I'm not comparing him to Vick or Jackson, but I watched him, Tarkenton, Young, Elway, and a few others; use their legs well, to move the chains.

Spent my whole young life watching Roger . He could do it all, scramble to throw or use his moves and speed to run and move the chains . Watched that man sacrifice his body more in practice than these pampered snowflakes do in games today .
That little bump Carson Kitty Kat Wentz took in that game last week would have never kept Roger out of a playoff game . He knew how and when to run in what was a far more violent game to play QB in back then