The "Russell Wilson" window

Reaction score
We have four years of Dak on a rookie 4th round contract, much like Seattle did with Russell Wilson on a 3rd round contract. In this salary cap era, there is no bigger gift than a franchise QB that doesn't cost like one. This offseason, the FO needs to go "all in." Meaning, trade or release Romo and other players with big contracts. Then, with that cap room, sign big name players at DE, CB, S to front-loaded, essentially three year contracts. And remake the defense, much like the Giants did. And maybe get a new RT. After those three years, things will change. We will have to pay Dak. And the next year, Zeke. We have an amazing opportunity to make multiple Super Bowl runs in the short term if the FO handles this offseason like Seattle did.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We have four years of Dak on a rookie 4th round contract, much like Seattle did with Russell Wilson on a 3rd round contract. In this salary cap era, there is no bigger gift than a franchise QB that doesn't cost like one. This offseason, the FO needs to go "all in." Meaning, trade or release Romo and other players with big contracts. Then, with that cap room, sign big name players at DE, CB, S to front-loaded, essentially three year contracts. And remake the defense, much like the Giants did. And maybe get a new RT. After those three years, things will change. We will have to pay Dak. And the next year, Zeke. We have an amazing opportunity to make multiple Super Bowl runs in the short term if the FO handles this offseason like Seattle did.

My question is how much cap space do we actually get for trading Romo?

Is it the same if we cut him or if he retires?

If we only get 5 million of extra cap space I would rather keep Romo.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Pretty sure Jerry would not keep Romo against his wishes.

I'm very interested to see how the team handles the offseason. I'm hoping they don't take the "Mayowa route" again to address the DL. The time is now to pounce. All legit pass rushers on the market need to be pursued. A late 1st/2nd rounder is not going to immediately make the difference.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'll take more drafts like this past one over signing free agents :)

We need a single splash, big, signing. We need to do what NE did with Revis, DEN with Ware. A rookie DE, even a hit, will take a year or two to develop. We need a stud right away to get us over the hump (assuming we don't make it to the SB, which, as it stands, I think we have as good a shot as any).

But still, we better be players this offseason for one splash signing, and I'm praying the player-personnel department is already doing their due-diligence on the upcoming FA's

Reaction score

you're pretty close.....Romo would cost us $24.7M if we kept him next year. If we trade him, dead cap space would be a whopping $19.6M meaning we'd save $5.1M. After paying another backup, we'd have a few mil left

Galian Beast

Reaction score
From the perspective of this being Dak's team now, the best thing you could hope for is to trade Romo for a 1st round draft pick if not two.

You get the picks and you also get an addition 5 million against the cap in 2017.

You then get another 25 and 24 million in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

That's a large window to rebuild your defense through the draft and free agency.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What not there, Darth? Not many good DE's or MLB's? Or both? I've been lazy, I need to check out the 2016-2017 free agency list for DE's and MLB's
A few, but we dont go after big name players in FA.

The most you could expect is maybe Demarcus Ware

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
A few, but we dont go after big name players in FA.

The most you could expect is maybe Demarcus Ware

Which would be awesome. Not Demarcus Ware, but a DEN Demarcus Ware-type signing. If we sign DWare, that's a fail. He's aging and won't give us the 10-12 sack edge rusher we need. Windows are only open for so long before rooks get paid, players leave, and new teams emerge. We are on the verge. Attack FA with a single splash. A big, fat boy belly flop splash

And we didn't in the past because it was futile. Sans 2014, we were a jag 8-8 team. What would a single splash signing do for us?

It's a whole lot different now. We need to be players this offseason.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
you're pretty close.....Romo would cost us $24.7M if we kept him next year. If we trade him, dead cap space would be a whopping $19.6M meaning we'd save $5.1M. After paying another backup, we'd have a few mil left

Yep..

So I think we should keep Romo unless we get trade compensation.

The extra 5 mill is not worth it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Which would be awesome.

And we didn't in the past because it was futile. Sans 2014, we were a jag 8-8 team. What would a single splash signing do for us?

It's a whole lot different now. We better be players this offseason.
Its not about being a jag 8-8 team, they just too FA's are poor value. Stephan Jones even said so himself

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Its not about being a jag 8-8 team, they just too FA's are poor value. Stephan Jones even said so himself

No. it's about being an 8-8 team. It's exactly about being an 8-8 team.

I also edited my post to break it down more for ya :)

Reaction score
Yep..

based on his price tag, age and injury prone history, I don't think we'd get much in return. If Romo really wants to start again, compete for a Super Bowl, on a team only a QB away, he may need to renegotiate (not restructure) his salary/contract.

EDIT: if we're subject to $19.6M in dead cap, I'd suspect then the cost for him on a new team would be that $5.1M, which isn't a lot at all.

I'm no NFL cap/contract expert, can anyone confirm that he'd cost $5.1M to a new suitor if traded? If so, we possibly could get a reasonably good draft pick in return.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. it's about being an 8-8 team. It's exactly about being an 8-8 team.

I also edited my post to break it down more for ya :)
They dont see it that way. They see top FA's as poor value. Good players getting paid like great players as Stephan put it.

It would be nice if they made a splash. I seriously doubt they do much of anything

noletime95

Reaction score
Yep..

It's not just the 5 million in 2017. In a vacuum I'd agree with you. But clearing Romo off the books in 18 and 19 is very meaningful. Don't have the exact numbers on hand but I believe 15 Million plus each year. The flexibility provided by that room benefits 2017 allowing the front office to move other salaries to future years and freeing up immediate cap space.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
They're likely to use all their money on their own free agents. Pass rushers aren't there outside of Jones and maybe Collins but Dallas isn't inclined to pay sticker price.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They're likely to use all their money on their own free agents. Pass rushers aren't there outside of Jones and maybe Collins but Dallas isn't inclined to pay sticker price.
Melvin Ingram is going to be a FA, but he could get tagged. Wouldnt shock me if Jones is tagged as well

Zman5

Reaction score

I agree with you but I doubt Jerry will stop Romo from leaving. Romo's going to want to start somewhere else next year.