The "Russell Wilson" window

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
A lot of you are looking at this the wrong way, imo. But so it goes. I pray I'm on the right end of this debate. To each their own, tho.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here are names to remember as Dallas chases Free Agents. Dre Kirkpatrick, Barkavious Mingo amd Cordorelle Patterson

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
From the perspective of this being Dak's team now, the best thing you could hope for is to trade Romo for a 1st round draft pick if not two.

You get the picks and you also get an addition 5 million against the cap in 2017.

You then get another 25 and 24 million in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

That's a large window to rebuild your defense through the draft and free agency.
Not getting a 1st or multiple 1sts but everything else I agree with.

I say go all in through the draft more than through FA. This draft seems heavy in the positions we are in need.

Bluefin

Reaction score
We have four years of Dak on a rookie 4th round contract, much like Seattle did with Russell Wilson on a 3rd round contract. In this salary cap era, there is no bigger gift than a franchise QB that doesn't cost like one.

The way Dallas typically does second contracts for franchise players, Dak Prescott probably won't have a big salary cap hit until his seventh season in 2022.

My question is how much cap space do we actually get for trading Romo?

Is it the same if we cut him or if he retires?

If we only get 5 million of extra cap space I would rather keep Romo.

It's all the same.

The salary cap doesn't care how a player leaves, only whether he's on the roster or off it.

I'd prefer to keep Tony Romo, too, but he isn't going to want to end his career sitting on the bench behind Dak Prescott.

Romo wants to play.

He should get a chance elsewhere in 2017.

If Romo leaves, it will clear $25.2M in 2018 and $23.7M in 2019 off the salary cap.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We need a single splash, big, signing. We need to do what NE did with Revis, DEN with Ware. A rookie DE, even a hit, will take a year or two to develop. We need a stud right away to get us over the hump (assuming we don't make it to the SB, which, as it stands, I think we have as good a shot as any).

But still, we better be players this offseason for one splash signing, and I'm praying the player-personnel department is already doing their due-diligence on the upcoming FA's

Agree.

I would like to see us get a DB and D linemen in Free agency.

Drew Kirkpatrick, Stephon Gilmore, Dontari Poe are a few free agents I wouldn't mind.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
The way Dallas typically does second contracts for franchise players, Dak Prescott probably won't have a big salary cap hit until his seventh season in 2022.

It's all the same.

The salary cap doesn't care how a player leaves, only whether he's on the roster or off it.

I'd prefer to keep Tony Romo, too, but he isn't going to want to end his career sitting on the bench behind Dak Prescott.

Romo wants to play.

He should get a chance elsewhere in 2017.

If Romo leaves, it will clear $25.2M in 2018 and $23.7M in 2019 off the salary cap.
2018-19 cap relief is huge. I suspect the thought was to move on after next season regardless though.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Agree.

Drew Kirkpatrick, Stephon Gilmore, Dontari Poe are a few free agents I wouldn't mind.

I view it as an epic, epic failure if we don't (make a signing, a legit signing), Catch.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agree.

I love Poe and I know they did in 2012, but I dont know how much value they have for that type of player

btcutter

Reaction score
Much of the FA off season moves will be highly dependent on how we fare throughout the playoffs.

IF we lose in the playoffs in the same way we lost to Green Bay...super close game but lost due to lack of pass rush then I think the FO will go all out and signs a FA pass rusher even if it meant over paying. FO will see that this window is here and present so it better take advantage of it.

IF we win the SB then I expect the FO to handle FA the same as it has.....value signing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree with you but I doubt Jerry will stop Romo from leaving. Romo's going to want to start somewhere else next year.

Jerry will not let Tony go to a NFC team unless they offer something ridiculous. I'm confident about that.

So it doesn't leave him many options. The Jets would want him but there is no guarantee the Broncos would go after him.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
We would all like to see it. Its just not how the Cowboys FO operates

My whole point is that this is the beginning of a new era, and thus, hopefully, new philosophies. I'm well aware of how our team has operated in the recent past, when it was worthless to go after that one guy to put us over the hump. When we were a jag 8-8 team and one key signing would be futile.

Both of us keep saying the same thing, no? You have your belief, I have mine. Neither of us know how this upcoming off season will fare. Let's sit back and (hopefully) enjoy the ride.

I also, to a large extent, agree with @btcutter above. Lots of variables.

Enjoy, bro

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My whole point is that this is the beginning of a new era, and thus, hopefully, new philosophies. I'm well aware of how our team has operated in the recent past, when it was worthless to go after that one guy to put us over the hump. When we were a jag 8-8 team and one key signing would be futile.
That whole philosophy has gotten us to where we are now

JBS

Reaction score
Yep..

So I think we should keep Romo unless we get trade compensation.

The extra 5 mill is not worth it.

It's not about the extra 5 Million for next year..it's getting him off the books..that way he doesn't keep counting against you for future years

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yep..

If you look at it over a 2 year or 3 year savings, it's much more than $5 million.

These aren't the exact numbers but it could be, for example, a savings of $5 million in 2017 and $15 million in 2018 if he were cut in the 2017 offseason vs. the 2018 offseason. You could use that space to sign even the most elite FA pass rusher.

I'm one of the biggest Romo fans -- but there's no way it makes sense to keep him on the roster after this season unless he took a massive pay cut.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love to have a Romo-quality back up QB, but I like the extra $5 mil in cap space more (and it could be more money than that IF Romo renegotiates his contract as per @bkight13 ).

I think Sanchez is a decent backup... Give him a similar contract to what he received this season.

Alweezy

Reaction score
All splash signings do is accelerate windows. We are in a unique situation where 3 areas of the team that would usually bleed you dry are set. We could literally put the credit card on auto pay and start working on our defense and still have time for an extended run.

We got here by the draft why not see what the draft can provide now that we have an offseason to fully dedicate to that side of the ball. I like your point of the Seattle model, but let's go further than Russell Wilson, let's build a Defense too..

The Denver model is what you do when the QB was Romo and the future for tomorrow is uncertain. We are the opposite of this. We are completely set on offense and have a 5-10 year window opening not closing. By the time Dak gets paid, we could be at a point of replacing individual pieces like New England and Pittsburgh rather than needing to replace an entire unit because we overspent for 1 Super Bowl appearance.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I view it as an epic, epic failure if we don't (make a signing, a legit signing), Catch.

Totally agree.

We need a quick fix on defense and I think it's possible.

There is a lot of DBs in this free agency that would fit nicely into our defense.

Then you get Jaylon Smith hopefully. He's an impact player if healthy.

Charles Tapper... Who knows what we get from that guy.. I almost wonder if he retires...

It's going to be hard to get a legit edge guy.. Even in the draft.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Yep..

That's what I have been saying makes no sense to get rid of the guy for only 5M cap space. I know Romo wants to play and is very close to Jerry, so he might accommodate him. However we just can't simply cut him or trade him for nothing that makes no sense whatsoever.