The "Russell Wilson" window

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Totally on board with OP's thought process, as long as the big contracts you give out expire by the time it's time to pay Dak/Zeke (and Anthony Brown, Maliek Collins, Jaylon, etc....assuming they all warrant 2nd contracts)

WeaponX

Reaction score
What not there, Darth? Not many good DE's or MLB's? Or both? I've been lazy, I need to check out the 2016-2017 free agency list for DE's and MLB's
I think Jabaal Sheard is someone who we should go after. He's not going to break the bank, but is a very underrated pash rusher (pretty consistent 8 sack guy) who could flourish here. Outside of him, JPP and Chandler Jones I know will be on the market, and D Ware will be a free agent. It looks like it may be a pretty light pass rusher market.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I think Jabaal Sheard is someone who we should go after. He's not going to break the bank, but is a very underrated pash rusher (pretty consistent 8 sack guy) who could flourish here. Outside of him, JPP and Chandler Jones I know will be on the market, and D Ware will be a free agent. It looks like it may be a pretty light pass rusher market.

JPP is very, very intriguing and not the 15mil/yr player, anymore. And hell, our division poaches our guys, let's return the favor if we can get him around 7-8 or so AAV

He is still very disruptive and is learning to play, still, with his chewed up hand. He may have upside still, once he gains more confidence and technique with his impediment. Very interesting player this offseason.

WeaponX

Reaction score
JPP is very, very intriguing and not the 15mil/yr player, anymore. And hell, our division poaches our guys, let's return the favor if we can get him around 7-8 or so AAV

He is still very disruptive and is learning to play, still, with his chewed up hand. He may have upside still, once he gains more confidence and technique with his impediment. Very interesting player this offseason.
If we were able to pick him up at a relative discount and pair him with a capable complimentary rusher anywhere between Rd 2-4 in the draft (I'm a Justin Evans end of Rd 1 guy), I think we'd be in business.

slomoxn

Reaction score
This is a long thread and I haven't read the whole thing, my question is are there any available free agent defensive ends worth big money, the OP has a point that previous teams weren't worth it as we did not have the horses to go far anyways. Now a stud DE is the corner piece of the puzzle, were good but not good enough.

RomoFor6

Reaction score
All I know is I want Zeke to never play a down for another franchise.

Dak will be a Cowboy for life. But will be interested to see what they do when Zekes rookie contract is up.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score

Doubt you'd be able to get JPP for that price even before today's monster game. But he'd be a Haley type pick-up for sure.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Agree with this 100%. When they have to pay zeke 10 mil a year and dak 25 mil a year. It'll be hard to put a good team around them.

Wood

Reaction score
They're likely to use all their money on their own free agents. Pass rushers aren't there outside of Jones and maybe Collins but Dallas isn't inclined to pay sticker price.

agreed I don't see Dallas spending like NYG did on defense last year. But I do expect a heavy heavy draft on defense in early rounds. Still need to sign 1-2 mid level FA defensive players.

Craig

Reaction score
Even if they trade romo dont they eat a lot of that money next year?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
My question is how much cap space do we actually get for trading Romo?

Is it the same if we cut him or if he retires?

If we only get 5 million of extra cap space I would rather keep Romo.
Will no be hard at all to get a good amount of cap, never is for this team. Thats why they structure their deals the way they do

Over the cap predicts the cap will be about 166mil
They have dallas to be 10.7mil over the cap

Trade Romo 5.6 mil over
Restructure Tyron 1.7 mil under
Restructure Frederick 12.5 mil under
Restructure Lee 16.5 mil under

WeaponX

Reaction score
Guys I'd shoot for

DT- Kawaan Short
DT- Brandon Williams
DE- Courtney Upshaw
DE- Dion Jordan (I know)

Resign Mo and Church
I've actually gone back and forth on Dion Jordan myself - his issues were more PED related, no? I could see him as a Michael Johnson type player under the right circumstances

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
From the perspective of this being Dak's team now, the best thing you could hope for is to trade Romo for a 1st round draft pick if not two.

You get the picks and you also get an addition 5 million against the cap in 2017.

You then get another 25 and 24 million in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

That's a large window to rebuild your defense through the draft and free agency.

I really think Clowny can be had it trade.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Will no be hard at all to get a good amount of cap, never is for this team. Thats why they structure their deals the way they do

Over the cap predicts the cap will be about 166mil
They have dallas to be 10.7mil over the cap

Trade Romo 5.6 mil over
Restructure Tyron 1.7 mil under
Restructure Frederick 12.5 mil under
Restructure Lee 16.5 mil under
Plus we will roll over close to 8m