The Safety position

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I don't know that's he is better than church but he has improved as most players do over time
Some fans are just a bit to quick to judge a young player before giving him time to develope
I agree and I was one of those fans. I'm not going to give the "I'm glad I was wrong" cop outs. I wish I wouldn't have rushed to judgement and stuck with this guy and I hope the coaches give him a real chance this year based on his clear growth as a player.

At some point leading us in int's or being very close has to be rewarded and recognized as more than being lucky.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
I'm hoping 42 returns and they slide Frazier into JJ's role to continue his grooming. I think Church's presence as a RKG and leader will be missed in the huddle and the locker room, especially if they don't upgrade the talent in the secondary at the CB spot...

If I remember correctly, Frazier is essientally the same player as church, not in terms of "leadership" but talent wise. It would make less sense to move Frazier to FS if that's the case. I think the coaching staff likes what they have in b. Jones playing FS.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Rodney Harrison was a damn good safety, I'd say top 10 all-time at SS and I had to look up where he went to school... obscure Western Illinois. I see what you're saying but you never know
No. No more Okwasi Owusah Ansahs. Please.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm hoping 42 returns and they slide Frazier into JJ's role to continue his grooming. I think Church's presence as a RKG and leader will be missed in the huddle and the locker room, especially if they don't upgrade the talent in the secondary at the CB spot...

They won't miss Church's lack of range.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I think Heath might be better than both already. He is a very steady football player and good athleticism.

He might be, he has certainly improved since he first came to Dallas. The thing that bothers me is the eeyore mentality of some people when free agency hasn't even really started yet and they are already lamenting their assumed starters. I am not new here so you would think I'd be used to it by now.

Verdict

Reaction score
He might be, he has certainly improved since he first came to Dallas. The thing that bothers me is the eeyore mentality of some people when free agency hasn't even really started yet and they are already lamenting their assumed starters. I am not new here so you would think I'd be used to it by now.

Don't read some of the posts around here. Reading some of them can drop your IQ 20 points.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
They won't miss Church's lack of range.
...notice I didnt mention his range, or lack thereof! If he's getting 6-7mil offers then bye, Felicia! If affordable there's something to be said for smart players who understand the scheme and can extend that knowledge to others...

MileyDancer

Reaction score
I fail to see what you're saying. Not all small college football players are OOA's.
The chances of them being OAO's are much higher than if they attended a big school. To me, that makes a difference. Dak is way ahead of Wentz, and that's partly why.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Flickr-Creative-Commons-Peppers.png

Draft this guy, and our safety issues are gone.

@stilltheguru88 I am sorry but im sold
yeshrug.png
Cosign

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Every free agent can leave. But don't expect to get better if you have to replace 2 cb's, 2 safeties, #2 wr and several depth players
Where does that leave picks to get better

Were downgrading for sure going from church to wilcox. Plus overpaying a below average guy to be a starter is a waste of money.

OldCoach

Reaction score
I figure Wilcox can be had at a reasonable price. Besides, Wilcox only played Safety one year in college before coming to the Boys and was much improved this year. So, could that mean the light finally came on for him? Possibly.

Heath is a great role player and always seems to be in the right place at the right time, ala Bill Bates.. yet, he's not a dominate full time safety. Then again, neither was Church.

Frazier,is a young gun with a year under his belt and should be motivated to prove he belongs in the NFL. He seemingly has all the tools and the door is wide open. Can he earn the job like Barry did as an undrafted player? Hopefully.

Jones, is a first round safety/CB that really hasn't lived up to his draft status, but has been solid and hasn't hit his full potential. His play in the backfield seemingly makes the secondary better as a whole, although we'd all like to see more impact plays. I like to think, as the DL gets better, so will his impact plays.

Mid-Late Rd draft pick- someone to atleast play special teams and compete for play. Could we strike gold again like we did with Anthony Brown? Brown & Church prove it could happen.
I think that Byron Jones is very underrated. He has the athleticism and ability to cover give the Cowboys defense all kinds of flexibility. His stats don't jump off the page there's no doubting that.

When Dallas is gets into Nickel, his ability to play the run as well as a linebacker. We run this package a lot vs teams that spread the field or have big tight ends that are receiving threats.

Jones is the reason the Cowboys didn't give up a ton of explosive plays in the air. We had an extra defender back there. Now we need someone who can consistently get to the quarterback, but that's a different issue.

Verdict

Reaction score
...notice I didnt mention his range, or lack thereof! If he's getting 6-7mil offers then bye, Felicia! If affordable there's something to be said for smart players who understand the scheme and can extend that knowledge to others...

That's true it is best to have smart players and by all accounts Church is smart, but smart only matters if the player also has the ability to play at a high level athletically as well. I could be a football genius but if I run an 8 second 40 what good would I be at safety?

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
That's true it is best to have smart players and by all accounts Church is smart, but smart only matters if the player also has the ability to play at a high level athletically as well. I could be a football genius but if I run an 8 second 40 what good would I be at safety?
So is the D better today without Church?

Verdict

Reaction score
So is the D better today without Church?

Possibly. That probably depends on what they do in the draft. Depth is a factor in everything. If Heath were to start how good is his backup going to be? Can you tell me that before the draft?