The Safety position

Knotamus

Reaction score
I still think Dallas will be fine with Kavon Frazier and Heath. If we don't sign Wilcox, maybe that means Dallas drafts a guy more around the 3rd round to compete. I'm not worried, Dallas will find a cost effective solution to duplicate Church's numbers...And more than likely, create more turn overs doing so. Maybe I'm not giving Heath much of a chance. I just know, the loss of Romo will hurt this team more than losing Church. I'd love to see either Claiborne or Carr back and add new blood to our DL/Secondary via the draft... building our team via the draft and staying young has proven to work.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
When we draft a guy and develop them, the hope is that they will get better and someday be worthy of a bigger pay day. Why should some other team benefit from our staff's time and energy in developing theses guys? We just have to be okay that they will eventually get paid. In the case of Barry Church, he didn't even get drafted. We signed him as an undrafted rookie. Since then he has developed and now by far out performs his scouting report out of college. He deserves to finally get paid. Please, pay the man!

He is not worth the coin they are talking about, these guys are getting paid like they are probowlers and they are not even close.

Good for him that somebody wants to overpay, its just doesn't have to be us.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I should preface that I will be saddened to see Barry Church playing somewhere other than Dallas, but unlike some, I understand the business decisions of Pro Football and root for guys to get paid what they're worth. That said, I can't see Dallas paying Church what he'll likely receive on the open market.. good for him. Dallas has bigger priorities and hopefully understands that are needs on DL are more important than spending too much for a player that, to be honest, isn't an elite player. I believe Dallas has a suitable replacement already on the roster. As always around this time of the year, folks tend to want the big name that has already made thier name and forget about the guys ready to make thier mark. I'm talking about Kavon Frazier. At 6'0" 220 lbs, I believe he is a Barry Church prototype and even was compared to him before he was drafted. He's a physical player and has 4.52 speed that translates well for a SS. We didn't see much of him during the season, but Dallas made sure he was secured on the roster for a reason. And as well as we have drafted lately, I suspect we will here his name more this camp. I hope that we do draft another late rounder, resign JJ Wilcox, and may the best man earn the Star.

Byron Jones
Kavon Frazier
JJ Wilcox
Jeff Heath
Draft pick <mid-late>

The above players competing under Marinellis coaching could at least create more turnovers that our secondary desperately needs.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kavon-frazier?id=2555536

Losing Church and Wilcox mean nothing to me. The best S last yr was Jeff Heath. He seems like the only one with the ability to make plays on the ball. And he will lay any player and his momma out.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Losing Church and Wilcox mean nothing to me. The best S last yr was Jeff Heath. He seems like the only one with the ability to make plays on the ball. And he will lay any player and his momma out.
damn straight

jrumann59

Reaction score

He has good form tackling as opposed to the JJ "Unguided Missile" Wilcox

Aven8

Reaction score
I don't care what people day about Church, but we just lost our 2nd leading tackler. That's big time.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Possibly. That probably depends on what they do in the draft. Depth is a factor in everything. If Heath were to start how good is his backup going to be? Can you tell me that before the draft?
The only reason I raised the question was bcuz the tone of your reply implied you thought Church was expendable...no matter what the price was. We agree that 6mil/yr was too much to pay an almost 30y/o S who is solid but not a game-changer. I'm hoping the combo of 31-38-35 can be effective & they focus of CBs in the draft in regards to the secondary.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
I think Williams would be an interesting option. But those neck injuries are a huge deterrent. Let's see what the market is for him.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We could go with two FS types with Jones and Heath, or we can draft someone like Peppers. Resigning Church or Wilcox would've been like giving Tyrone Crawford a big contract - it's just rewarding mediocrity. Sure, it puts us in a bit of a bind at the current moment, but it gives us the opportunity to actually improve the position now.

CWR

Reaction score
Wilcox is also a free agent
Funny how a year ago everyone wanted heath ran out of town, now they want him to be the starter

Heath has been fairly polarizing here. I dont think he played well in the beginning of his time here and he hasnt shaken that label. I acknowledge his playing time has been limited but it does seem when he is on the field he makes plays. I know one thing for sure, he has to have the best hands in the defensive backfield. Most of our dbs seem to almost intercept the ball while Heath actually catches the damn thing.

Tristan

Reaction score
I don't agree that his instincts were bad. He was right there with Megatron and Peterson. His problem is he got overpowered. It wasn't even by all that much. He almost was making the plays.

I took it as meaning he was close and would improve. Most people took it as he sucked.

He does turn the ball over in the limited snaps he gets, he is physical as anyone in the league now, and he has range in coverage. I wouldn't hate it if he started.
I think based on his imporovement and talent and the mvp esque performance "big game james" show in the biggest of games he dereserves shot! He might be darn good? I think he is at least better than "Hit or Miss" Wilcox, especially in coverage.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Heath has been fairly polarizing here. I dont think he played well in the beginning of his time here and he hasnt shaken that label. I acknowledge his playing time has been limited but it does seem when he is on the field he makes plays. I know one thing for sure, he has to have the best hands in the defensive backfield. Most of our dbs seem to almost intercept the ball while Heath actually catches the damn thing.

He was thrust into the starting job as an undrafted rookie. He wasn't ready, obviously. But he excelled on special teams, continued to improve, and made plays in his limited chances. I think he's earned another shot.

Reactions: CWR

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

To give Heath his props he's come a long way.

Heath has the physicality of Wilcox and is a far better athlete than Church.

conner01

Reaction score
I've always liked heath
I think he is able to be a solid player but very thin depth

Reactions: CWR