The Secret Benefit Of Drafting Ceedee Lamb

Bowdown27

Reaction score
The best hidden positive is not having him on the freakin Fleagles from Philthy and having to face his monster talent twice a year.

But yeah, I'd like to see him push Coop and all 3 be such a monster threat that you just can't take any one of them away as a tactic to stress the passing game. 3 great threats.
Honestly eagles could have had both lol they tried trading for cooper and wanted to trade up for lamb. We took them away from philly but honestly Ceedee is a big time talent he can be up there with Julio hop etc If he gets the opportunities

cowboygo

Reaction score
I think getting him and if he lives up to his reputation means if Gallup reaches his ceiling he can go con another team into thinking he is a number 1 ala Alvin Harper.
Agree, I think it'd be easier to find a replacement for Gallup than one for Cooper. Although we'd have to wait and see if Cooper's body can hold up throughout his contract. He can play through pain, but at some point it could add up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best hidden positive is not having him on the freakin Fleagles from Philthy and having to face his monster talent twice a year.

But yeah, I'd like to see him push Coop and all 3 be such a monster threat that you just can't take any one of them away as a tactic to stress the passing game. 3 great threats.
:hammer:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The not so secret pitfall to this is the Cowboys have used back to back 1st round picks on WR's on a team needing defensive players.

They will need to decide on Gallup as the #2 going forward to pair with Lamb if Cooper has that disappearing act during the season.

I like Cooper, I like his demeanor and the fact he's not a diva, but I don't like his history of drops and disappearing and this has been the case since he came into the league. Any team that pays a WR that much deserves for him to show up.

Taking Lamb was the no brainer after the first pick in the draft but as far as helping this team this year, they needed help on the defense after letting the 2 best players on last year's defense walk.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think getting him and if he lives up to his reputation means if Gallup reaches his ceiling he can go con another team into thinking he is a number 1 ala Alvin Harper.
Con? lol. Hey, it's the buyer's responsibility to do its own due diligence and make up its own mind. If a team felt Harper was a #1, that's on them, not Harper doing a con job. Can't blame a player for agreeing to a promotion, even if with another team.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The Secret Benefit Of Drafting Ceedee Lamb

Is this a movie title?

Sounds like an infommercial drummed up by CeeDee's agent. As if CeeDee is going to give out the fascinating new CrockPot/Air Fryer to all teammates if he scores 5 TDs this season. "Now your food can be crispy AND healthy! Aren't YOU glad you drafted CeeDee, Cowboys?"

jrumann59

Reaction score
Con? lol. Hey, it's the buyer's responsibility to do its own due diligence and make up its own mind. If a team felt Harper was a #1, that's on them, not Harper doing a con job. Can't blame a player for agreeing to a promotion, even if with another team.
I agree but one has to be able to sell oneself also. Harper believed he was a #1. If he didn't he would of probably stayed in Dallas.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
There were definitely obvious benefits to drafting Ceedee at 17.

-We lost our starting slot going into a season where our offense is going from 12 to 11 personnel base. A starter was a need, not a luxury.

-In a time where offense rules the league, taking your offense from really good to elite is a smart play. Despite the stats, this offense didn’t truly dominate consistently last year. Should change this year and Ceedee can play a significant part in that.

-There seemed to be times last year where we needed one of our guys to make a play (Philly week 16 anyone?), but rarely did anyone show up. In 2018 it was Coop, but despite all our weapons last year the timely plays didn’t come enough. Better coaching to fine-tune the offense as a whole and a real lead dog in Ceedee should do the trick.

But the hidden benefit is what Ceedee does to Coop. Btw, I really like Coop. Like not love.

Overall, the trade for Coop has to be seen as worth it. But in 1 and a half years we clearly see what the totality of Cooper as a WR is. He’s an elite route runner, great athlete, and a smart nuanced player. He is also prone to getting banged up, can wilt when a challenge is presented, and has an infuriating drop a little too often. In totality, he’s a 1A/1B guy more than he is a stand alone DHop/Julio/AB kinda guy.

Due to the trade and importance to Dak, Coop is the second highest paid WR in football. And though I don’t disagree with the decision to sign him, he’s not one of those blank check guys; you’re hoping he takes one more step forward. While his cap hits the first two years are manageable, if the team doesn’t trade or cut him after two seasons and he hasn’t taken a step, he becomes grossly overpaid.

A great performance from Gallup alone probably wouldn’t be enough to give the FO the green light to move on from an overpaid Coop, that’s where Ceedee comes in. Drafting Ceedee broadens our options. Without him, it’s either:

A) Coop takes a step and earns his $, and we have to decide on Gallup.

B) Coop stays the same/regresses and now we kind of have to sign Gallup or take WR high.

But with Lamb the scenarios are:

A) Coop takes a step forward and for 2 years we have dang near the best trio in the league. Depending on Gallup’s performance we can either resign him or feel ok letting him walk/trade him. Remember these guys are 2-3 years apart each contract wise so they can probably be all signed if the FO wanted.

B) Coop stays the same or regresses and the decision is easy. Plus we might be able to get some good draft compensation back.

If we know this so does Coop. This will either light a fire under him or make it easy to move on. Ball is in Amari’s court in regards to his future here.
It is great for suring up the WR position for sure.

I hope we don't lose Gallup, but heck, maybe he continues to blow up and we trade him for a 1st.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What wrong Red, did you eat a bad burrito?
What don't you like about CD, that pick?
Nothing wrong with the pick.

I just don't take overly celebrating good fortune prematurely.

We have made moves with personnel before that comes to nada.

TEs, they fail..tear hamstrings..

WRs are going to play by committee and fail..

On and on.

Many reasons for the failures but end results the same.

So I take the middle road and watch.

Been at this team supporting for way too long to believe everything thrown out there by well meaning fans.

None of us know, really.

So I wait.

:thumbdown:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the pick.

I just don't take overly celebrating good fortune prematurely.

We have made moves with personnel before that comes to nada.

TEs, they fail..tear hamstrings..

WRs are going to play by committee and fail..

On and on.

Many reasons for the failures but end results the same.

So I take the middle road and watch.

Been at this team supporting for way too long to believe everything thrown out there by well meaning fans.

None of us know, really.

So I wait.

:thumbdown:
Can I give you a social distance hug big fella..
Just kidding bro, but you know I would..:D
Trust those that you trust,,, just saying
CD is going to shred this league like Moss did.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree but one has to be able to sell oneself also. Harper believed he was a #1. If he didn't he would of probably stayed in Dallas.
Im sure he imagined himself being a #1 - athletes wouldn’t be able to make the cut at all if they didn’t have egos and a lot of confidence in themselves. But even if he wasn’t sure he Was truly a #1 guy, he likely wouldn’t have stayed in Dallas when he could have gotten a big pay increase and a chance to see if he could be a #1 somewhere else.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Can I give you a social distance hug big fella..
Just kidding bro, but you know I would..:D
Trust those that you trust,,, just saying
CD is going to shred this league like Moss did.
:thumbup:

It's that old longtime fan in me.

I always want to see dreams come true.

Not sure with us it's in the cards.

Just saying one guy is not enough.

Another Super Star player strung with other Super Star players has proven to not be enough.

I think luck and repeatability is huge.

NE winning 6 SBs in 12 years is not coincidence.

So Cee Dee..welcome to the show.

:flagwave:

Verdict

Reaction score
i think everything was already in effect before we had a chance to draft CeeDee Lamb, imo.

- that 2 year escape option clause in Cooper's new record breaking contract was a clear signal that
the team had to have some reservations to throw in that escape clause. They wanted to force themselves to believe that Coop could either rejuvenate himself to be an Alpha Dog - or after that 2 year time, they were going to be forced to go elsewhere for a new No.1 feature lead WR.

- But during FA period and before the NFL draft, they needed the best insurance available that continues work for Dak. And they did not want to let Cooper walk and be " forced " to have to pick a lead WR - just for the sake of picking one.

- Forcing a lead WR simply because they needed a lead WR that bad.
Reaching for a Calvin Ridley type. Resorting to picking a WR that high, and going against the value of their board. So they caved in and gave Cooper what he wanted contract wise- while also protecting themselves in the near future, just in case.

- Little did they ..or anyone could phantom the 6th best overall player on their board, would still be sliding and sliding, right into their hands at 17th overall ,.. someone who they had to think with that rave high score of a prospect - someone they had to think was the coveted elite level WR prospect they coveted and what they had hope Cooper would be via the trade for him.

- That slide totally changed the dynamics of the franchise. In terms of direction with the WRs, roles, skill set,
the built around focus of the pass game, a swagger and confidence level that they are desperately seeking.
Sure we still needed a slot guy, but they did not draft Lamb to be exclsuively a slot guy- that is just coming as a luxury. Lamb immediately given No.88 by now mysteriously "silent" Jerry himself will be an eventual

- As for Cooper, He is going to be what Torry Holt was to Issac Bruce...and Reggie Wayne was to Marvin Harrison. because unless he is another alpha dog opposite Lamb, he's not gonna see the rest of that massive contract after the next 2 years.

- As a pure prospect, and reportedly there were just 2 WRs in a very rich WR class that Cowboys coveted. - Lamb and Bama's Jerry Jeud.

- Lamb is a freakish generation WR he is not a Randy Moss or Desean Jackson like 4.3 burner - but he has displayed vertical deep threat ability in his Sooner career. he has adequate size weight but he is not overwhelming in that regards. but he plays tall, reaches for sideline, fade routes and isn't afraid to venture over the middle.

- what makes him unique is his run skills.Not only is he an instinctive , natural play maker who makes big plays look effortless and easy, but he is very slippery and elusive in the open field and despite a slim frame, tacklers have a difficult time corralling him He has a knack for sliding off tacklers.
He is also a plus punt returner.

- The one thing we have to see proven is his level of competing.It's a big difference between
Sooner-land vs NFL.
Even Cooper himself was considered an elite blue chip WR too coming out of Bama.
And how he handles NFL level press coverage something he didn't have to be concerned about in Sooners scheme that freed him off the line quite often.

:cool:
He’s ODB without all the headache that comes with ODB.

quickccc

Reaction score
He’s ODB without all the headache that comes with ODB.

i truly hope so.
But who knew Beckham Jr. was gonna be the diva crybaby coming outta of LSU and into the 1st round ?

Ditto with other WR diva's.... ala Owens, .. Randy Moss ..... Desean Jackson .... Antonio Brown ,etc, etc, etc.

Here's hoping Lamb has mega-star alpha dog that also carries a productive professionalism that spells Rice, Marvin Harrison.,Fitzgerald, Holt, Bruce, etc.

:cool:

Last edited: