The Secret Benefit Of Drafting Ceedee Lamb

quickccc

Reaction score
Honestly eagles could have had both lol they tried trading for cooper and wanted to trade up for lamb. We took them away from philly but honestly Ceedee is a big time talent he can be up there with Julio hop etc If he gets the opportunities

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2...=The Eagles tried to catch,to get a deal done.

Totally amazing how Eagles continue to be linked to the same players Cowboys were rumored to covet.

So we can really owe this delightful franchise impact to ATL for NOT making the deal with Eagles for 16th overall pick !
:flagwave:

quickccc

Reaction score
The not so secret pitfall to this is the Cowboys have used back to back 1st round picks on WR's on a team needing defensive players.

They will need to decide on Gallup as the #2 going forward to pair with Lamb if Cooper has that disappearing act during the season.

I like Cooper, I like his demeanor and the fact he's not a diva, but I don't like his history of drops and disappearing and this has been the case since he came into the league. Any team that pays a WR that much deserves for him to show up.

Taking Lamb was the no brainer after the first pick in the draft but as far as helping this team this year, they needed help on the defense after letting the 2 best players on last year's defense walk.

i can think of great elite WRs that have had history of drops ala Beckham Jr, and Terrell Owens
but if they get the production out of their QBs, they have still shown up against elite, big league competition
Something that still cannot be said for Cooper, i'm afraid.
:(

Bowdown27

Reaction score

Verdict

Reaction score
i truly hope so.
But who knew Beckham Jr. was gonna be the diva crybaby coming outta of LSU and into the 1st round ?

Ditto with other WR diva's.... ala Owens, .. Randy Moss ..... Desean Jackson .... Antonio Brown ,etc, etc, etc.

Here's hoping Lamb has mega-star alpha dog that also carries a productive professionalism that spells Rice, Marvin Harrison.,Fitzgerald, Holt, Bruce, etc.

:cool:
I think Lamb is a bit more grounded.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
that 2 year escape option clause in Cooper's new record breaking contract was a clear signal that
the team had to have some reservations to throw in that escape clause. They wanted to force themselves to believe that Coop could either rejuvenate himself to be an Alpha Dog - or after that 2 year time, they were going to be forced to go elsewhere for a new No.1 feature lead WR.

I think the primary reason for the escape option is because Cooper's lower-body injuries aren't likely to ever go away. He can play like an All-Pro when he's healthy or be a non-factor when he's not. He stays healthy, then we get to see the real Coop and should have quite a tandem with Lamb (if Lamb is as good as advertised). If not, then we move on with players who can stay healthy, which might be the tandem turns into Gallup and Lamb instead.

For the moment, we're in a great position to have all three and see where it leads.

plasticman

Reaction score
In my opinion, the secret benefit is going to be the increase in competition between all the receivers.

These are proud young men. They have worked hard to demonstrate that they are one of the best in the league. In order to do that they must first show they are the best on their team. CeeDee raises the ante. One of the most important components of an elite NFL unit is mutual earned respect. The harder one of them works, the harder the others do as well.

In short, getting CeeDee will make the other receivers better.

cowboyed

Reaction score
There were definitely obvious benefits to drafting Ceedee at 17.

-We lost our starting slot going into a season where our offense is going from 12 to 11 personnel base. A starter was a need, not a luxury.

-In a time where offense rules the league, taking your offense from really good to elite is a smart play. Despite the stats, this offense didn’t truly dominate consistently last year. Should change this year and Ceedee can play a significant part in that.

-There seemed to be times last year where we needed one of our guys to make a play (Philly week 16 anyone?), but rarely did anyone show up. In 2018 it was Coop, but despite all our weapons last year the timely plays didn’t come enough. Better coaching to fine-tune the offense as a whole and a real lead dog in Ceedee should do the trick.

But the hidden benefit is what Ceedee does to Coop. Btw, I really like Coop. Like not love.

Overall, the trade for Coop has to be seen as worth it. But in 1 and a half years we clearly see what the totality of Cooper as a WR is. He’s an elite route runner, great athlete, and a smart nuanced player. He is also prone to getting banged up, can wilt when a challenge is presented, and has an infuriating drop a little too often. In totality, he’s a 1A/1B guy more than he is a stand alone DHop/Julio/AB kinda guy.

Due to the trade and importance to Dak, Coop is the second highest paid WR in football. And though I don’t disagree with the decision to sign him, he’s not one of those blank check guys; you’re hoping he takes one more step forward. While his cap hits the first two years are manageable, if the team doesn’t trade or cut him after two seasons and he hasn’t taken a step, he becomes grossly overpaid.

A great performance from Gallup alone probably wouldn’t be enough to give the FO the green light to move on from an overpaid Coop, that’s where Ceedee comes in. Drafting Ceedee broadens our options. Without him, it’s either:

A) Coop takes a step and earns his $, and we have to decide on Gallup.

B) Coop stays the same/regresses and now we kind of have to sign Gallup or take WR high.

But with Lamb the scenarios are:

A) Coop takes a step forward and for 2 years we have dang near the best trio in the league. Depending on Gallup’s performance we can either resign him or feel ok letting him walk/trade him. Remember these guys are 2-3 years apart each contract wise so they can probably be all signed if the FO wanted.

B) Coop stays the same or regresses and the decision is easy. Plus we might be able to get some good draft compensation back.

If we know this so does Coop. This will either light a fire under him or make it easy to move on. Ball is in Amari’s court in regards to his future here.

There certainly isn't a hidden message in your one sided devaluation of Cooper. Executive management, ownership of other teams were at the ready to pay in the range we did and one team, the Commanders would have paid even more to snag him. It's fair to state he is more proven than Ceedee at this point. Cooper has significantly contributed to the team more so than not.

I am VERY excited about Ceedee Lamb being on board as anyone but he hasn't played one series yet against an NFL caliber defense. If the addition of Ceedee benefits Coop, and Gallup for that matter, why wouldn't the existence of Coop and Gallup not benefit Ceedee?

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There certainly isn't a hidden message in your one sided devaluation of Cooper. Executive management, ownership of other teams were at the ready to pay in the range we did and one team, the Commanders would have paid even more to snag him. It's fair to state he is more proven than Ceedee at this point. Cooper has significantly contributed to the team more so than not.

I am VERY excited about Ceedee Lamb being on board as anyone but he hasn't played one series yet against an NFL caliber defense. If the addition of Ceedee benefits Coop, and Gallup for that matter, why wouldn't the existence of Coop and Gallup not benefit Ceedee?
You answered yourself,, and the answer is yes.
Yes - CD is a rook, but arguably the best WR coming out of this draft class.
Yes - Gallup and Coop will benefit from CD.
Yes - CD will benefit from Coop and Gallup.
Its the perfect equation to shredding the league.

Flamma

Reaction score
We lost our starting slot going into a season where our offense is going from 12 to 11 personnel base. A starter was a need, not a luxury.

IMO we would have gone 8-8 with CeeDee Lamb last year. No team needs an elite offense to do better than 8-8. The Cowboys just didn't play motivated all season long. Sure if they got up on a team early on, or played an even less motivated team, they did well and even stood out. But whenever the Cowboys were faced with adversity they seemed to shut down. They just couldn't be bothered or weren't motivated enough to put in the effort. We've seen this over the years with few exceptions. But in 2019 it was a lot more glaring. So I think it's wrong to think a WR was the missing piece. More like the coach.

I've said this before, I only watched about 15 minutes of the week 16 game against the Eagles. One of the rare moments a Cowboys game was not one of my favorite moments of the week. I didn't watch not because I was upset with the season, it was a pivotal game. I didn't watch because I'm not watching a game where the Cowboys look like they don't even want to be there. I can't speak for anyone else, but it was pretty obvious to me.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Can only keep fingers crossed,, the prima donna drama queen ODB, was it apparent when drafted?
Put the star on the helmet and a few TDs, along with being young and a instant millionaire.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

-We lost our starting slot going into a season where our offense is going from 12 to 11 personnel base. A starter was a need, not a luxury.

-In a time where offense rules the league, taking your offense from really good to elite is a smart play. Despite the stats, this offense didn’t truly dominate consistently last year. Should change this year and Ceedee can play a significant part in that.

-There seemed to be times last year where we needed one of our guys to make a play (Philly week 16 anyone?), but rarely did anyone show up. In 2018 it was Coop, but despite all our weapons last year the timely plays didn’t come enough. Better coaching to fine-tune the offense as a whole and a real lead dog in Ceedee should do the trick.

But the hidden benefit is what Ceedee does to Coop. Btw, I really like Coop. Like not love.

Overall, the trade for Coop has to be seen as worth it. But in 1 and a half years we clearly see what the totality of Cooper as a WR is. He’s an elite route runner, great athlete, and a smart nuanced player. He is also prone to getting banged up, can wilt when a challenge is presented, and has an infuriating drop a little too often. In totality, he’s a 1A/1B guy more than he is a stand alone DHop/Julio/AB kinda guy.

Due to the trade and importance to Dak, Coop is the second highest paid WR in football. And though I don’t disagree with the decision to sign him, he’s not one of those blank check guys; you’re hoping he takes one more step forward. While his cap hits the first two years are manageable, if the team doesn’t trade or cut him after two seasons and he hasn’t taken a step, he becomes grossly overpaid.

A great performance from Gallup alone probably wouldn’t be enough to give the FO the green light to move on from an overpaid Coop, that’s where Ceedee comes in. Drafting Ceedee broadens our options. Without him, it’s either:

B) Coop stays the same/regresses and now we kind of have to sign Gallup or take WR high.

A) Coop takes a step forward and for 2 years we have dang near the best trio in the league. Depending on Gallup’s performance we can either resign him or feel ok letting him walk/trade him. Remember these guys are 2-3 years apart each contract wise so they can probably be all signed if the FO wanted.

B) Coop stays the same or regresses and the decision is easy. Plus we might be able to get some good draft compensation back.

If we know this so does Coop. This will either light a fire under him or make it easy to move on. Ball is in Amari’s court in regards to his future here.
Everything is set up for Coop to have his best season and truly hit the prime time level that has always been evident.
My best evaluation of Coop is that he has all the skills, traits, professionalism, to be a true top 5 WR in this league, but that hasn't been the history.
I believe Coop can be such a valuable asset, huge weapon now, when a supporting cast puts him in a position to expose single coverage and absent safeties.
Give Coop 1 vs 1 and safeties bailing to cover X,, just watch Coop have a career season.
Its a beautiful thing happening with this offense, we will see it in full boom soon.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

You seriously think this thought pattern was hidden and did you really just figure this out. I basically said the same thing on draft night 2 minutes after the pick and many others here had the same thought. It was obvious to many of us that the Lamb pick gave the team options down the road in 2 years when Gallup needs to be signed and they can get out of the Cooper deal. It was literally the third thought I had right after 1 - I can’t believe they got Lamb and 2 - Ha ha philly fans.

817Gill

Reaction score

Yeah I don’t know how you got that I was devaluing Coop, no one seemed to get that from what I said either. Not gonna go back and forth but please re-read if confused. I said multiple times I like Cooper, but to act like he’s a top 3 stud WR is ignoring the negatives that come with the positives.

Also, to think because the skins wanted to give him 22M that he’s an unblemished player is wrong. We payed what we had to pay to keep our number 1, but I can guarantee you that the thought process and possible outcome of that negotiation would have been a lot different had the boys knew Ceedee was comin. That’s for sure.

817Gill

Reaction score
You seriously think this thought pattern was hidden and did you really just figure this out. I basically said the same thing on draft night 2 minutes after the pick and many others here had the same thought. It was obvious to many of us that the Lamb pick gave the team options down the road in 2 years when Gallup needs to be signed and they can get out of the Cooper deal. It was literally the third thought I had right after 1 - I can’t believe they got Lamb and 2 - Ha ha philly fans.
Lol sorry for making a thread dude, I should have messaged you personally about it before right? I forgot you have the copyright claim over all ideas Ceedee Lamb.

Would you like a cookie as well for your feats of genius?

fivetwos

Reaction score

Nailed in on Cooper analysis. Nice work.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think the primary reason for the escape option is because Cooper's lower-body injuries aren't likely to ever go away. He can play like an All-Pro when he's healthy or be a non-factor when he's not. He stays healthy, then we get to see the real Coop and should have quite a tandem with Lamb (if Lamb is as good as advertised). If not, then we move on with players who can stay healthy, which might be the tandem turns into Gallup and Lamb instead.

For the moment, we're in a great position to have all three and see where it leads.
Doesnt really matter what the reasoning, but anytime a team can structure a deal with a clear out after a couple of seasons, it makes sense to do.

It becomes a matter of getting the other side to accept it, because they are basically guaranteeing a cut situation after not all that long.

Dallas has done a great job at this...Elliott, Cooper, Smith (not sure on DLaw).

cowboyed

Reaction score
You answered yourself,, and the answer is yes.
Yes - CD is a rook, but arguably the best WR coming out of this draft class.
Yes - Gallup and Coop will benefit from CD.
Yes - CD will benefit from Coop and Gallup.
Its the perfect equation to shredding the league.

Overall we agree.:D

cowboyed

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t know how you got that I was devaluing Coop, no one seemed to get that from what I said either. Not gonna go back and forth but please re-read if confused. I said multiple times I like Cooper, but to act like he’s a top 3 stud WR is ignoring the negatives that come with the positives.

Also, to think because the skins wanted to give him 22M that he’s an unblemished player is wrong. We payed what we had to pay to keep our number 1, but I can guarantee you that the thought process and possible outcome of that negotiation would have been a lot different had the boys knew Ceedee was comin. That’s for sure.

I know Ceedee has proven college football receiver major talent. The success rate of first round receivers having a major impact in their first NFL season could be like quarterbacks, generally 50-50 over the years.

No receiver taken in the first round since Amari Cooper in 2015 has made the Pro Bowl. I think it is really hard to put that much expectation on Ceedee that he in effect will be the supreme catalyst in making this trio of receivers the best. That is why I think Amari Cooper will still be the MVP of this receiver group.

If I am wrong I will be so happy! I want Ceedee to become a major play-making receiver for the Dallas Cowboys. I like everything about this dude.