The Secret Condition H.R. Bum Bright Had For Selling The Dallas Cowboys

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Fun fact of trivia showing how much useless information is in my head: When he owned the Cowboys, H.R. 'Bum' Bright made it condition that he would only sell the team to somebody who would fire Tom Landry. That condition caused all prospective buyers to back off and shut down negotiations except for ONE: Jerry Jones.

Every other prospective buyer freaked out at hearing Bright's condition. "Fire God's Coach? Are you freaking kidding me? I'd instantly become the most hated person in the state of Texas. I'd be more hated in Dallas than Lee Harvey Oswald!"

Far from backing off or balking at firing Landry, Jones actually responded enthusiastically to this condition for buying the team. He excitedly told Bright that he'd already planned to bring in his good friend Jimmy Johnson to coach the team if he became the owner. This is why despite the fact several other prospective buyers offered more money, Bright sold the team to Jerry Jones. Because Jones was the only one who promised Bright that he'd fire Tom Landry.

When he first bought the team in 1984, Bright was a huge fan of Landry. Over the next 5 years though, Bright found Landry and GM Tex Schramm to be incredibly arrogant. As the team's fortunes plunged in the late 1980's, Bright wanted to make some changes. He was told in no uncertain terms to mind his own business, keep his mouth shut and just keep signing the checks.

Landry was so big in Dallas, even when he began to fail, nobody could apply any pressure to get him to change how he was doing things. And Landry resented even having to deal with Bright or hear any criticism from him. Cowboy's owners were neither seen nor heard from, as far as Landry was concerned.

Landry fully expected to be the Cowboy's coach until he was good and ready to hang it up and retire on his own.

Landry let Bright know this, of course. Shut up, keep signing the checks, mind your own business, and when I'm ready to ride off into the sunset in my own sweet time, I'll let you know.

Bright came up with a way to fire Landry without his fingerprints every being involved where the public could see it.

Jerry Jones took all the heat at the time. Not until years later was it revealed that Bright had made firing Landry a condition of selling the team.

1 reason I respect Jerry: he could have shifted a LOT of the heat he took for firing Landry by telling the truth: Bright made it a condition of selling me the team. I had to do it or he wouldn't sell it to me. Instead Jerry kept his mouth shut and took all the heat.

For years it was just assumed to be an amazing coincidence that Bright sold the team to the 1 guy who had no problem firing Tom Landry and replacing him with an old college buddy.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Addendum: Read this from Texas Monthly:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/turnover/

It brings up something I left out: that Bright had actually TOLD Tex Schramm to fire Tom Landry and....Tex just ignored him.

This actually led to the incredible epic moment in which Bright sold the team and....Tex Schramm didn't know about it.

Yes.

That really happened.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Pardon me for being 5 years old at the time of dawning of the Jones Era, but was there any reason why Bum couldn't have just fired Landry himself as his last operation with the team?

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
Pardon me for being 5 years old at the time of dawning of the Jones Era, but was there any reason why Bum couldn't have just fired Landry himself as his last operation with the team?

yeah...because he didn't want to be the bad guy. JJ was willing to take the heat and fire Tom, but only IF Bright agreed to his price, and he did. (read OP's original post closer)

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
yeah...because he didn't want to be the bad guy. JJ was willing to take the heat and fire Tom, but only IF Bright agreed to his price, and he did. (read OP's original post closer)
Yup you're right, the bolded part pretty much confirms that. Thanks.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I guess bum didn't want to deal with the public heat of being the one to do it. So he needed someone else to take the heat for him.
The team was bleeding money. He didn't want it to complete bottom out before he sold the team. This was just a way to save face and stick it to Landry at the same time.

That said, like posted before. It was time. Landry was done by that juncture.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
The team was bleeding money. He didn't want it to complete bottom out before he sold the team. This was just a way to save face and stick it to Landry at the same time.

Makes sense. What I'm curious about is how bum was able to put out a call for a new owner with this specific clause in it without Landry or Tex finding out. Or did they and didn't put much stock into it? I don't see this talked about anywhere.

fredp22

Reaction score
He tried to through Tex who just ignored him. If he fired him just before he sold the team the new owner could and probably would have just brought him back if not as coach in some other capacity which Bum didnt want. Jerry had Jimmy lined up and didnt need Tom.
I think Bum was the worst thing to happen to the Cowboys

haleyrules

Reaction score
I'd say it worked out well for the fans, Jimmy delivered 2 champioships and a 3rd was one with the team he built. I'm not sure Landry would have brought them another championship.
Ole Tom had lost a step or two by then. If anybody thinks Jason is polarizing...ole Tom was a real polarizing character. He gets a lot of respect now and rightfully so....but it wasn't that way back then.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Makes sense. What I'm curious about is how bum was able to put out a call for a new owner with this specific clause in it without Landry or Tex finding out. Or did they and didn't put much stock into it? I don't see this talked about anywhere.
I don't believe he put it out there as a condition. Probably came up when behind closed doors.

fredp22

Reaction score

it isnt a new story. Its in one of the Cowboy books. If I have to guess I think it was in "Cowboys have always been my Heros". If I remember correctly another buyer was in discussions but refused to fire Landry as a condition.
Bum didnt have to spell out his conditions to the other employees of the team. It was between him and the potential buyer(s). The condition became public after the sale

drawandstrike

Reaction score
You cannot fully appreciate the seismic shock Jerry Jones caused in Dallas by buying the team unless you were there at the time.

Let me explain.

I"m gonna put a series of pictures below of old rich white men. Pick out Clint Murchison, Jr. and H.R. 'Bum' Bright, the 2 men who owned the Cowboys before Jerry Jones did:

e1e34ea5815466b28dc5b28e6193a713.jpg

Clint_Murchison_jr.jpg

portrait-of-senior-man-folding-arms-black-and-white-picture-id108162634

september-1986-ron-todd-employee-of-the-ford-motor-company-and-of-picture-id3270246

dfpy30439_large.jpeg

H._R._Bum_Bright_43-242x300.jpg

dfpy30441_grande.jpeg

I doubt even many long time Cowboys fans can pick out the 2 correct pictures.

Cowboy's owners were neither seen nor heard from before Jerry Jones. They were just some name you read about in the newspapers every now and then. They held so little clout with the actual team, by the time Bright was telling Tex Schramm to fire Tom Landry, Schramm could just laugh at him and ignore him.

At his very first press conference after buying the team, Jones kept saying over and over again that HE was now going to be the public face of the franchise. Not Tom Landry or Tex Schramm. You have no idea what a shock that was until you grasp just how invisible previous Cowboy's owners had been.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I had to go look up Murchison....lol.You weren't kidding about that. It was tough to remember them.Tell you what...l ain't ever going to forget Jerry boys image. Its been in my nightmares for the last 20 yrs!!

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
it isnt a new story. Its in one of the Cowboy books. If I have to guess I think it was in "Cowboys have always been my Heros". If I remember correctly another buyer was in discussions but refused to fire Landry as a condition.
Bum didnt have to spell out his conditions to the other employees of the team. It was between him and the potential buyer(s). The condition became public after the sale

I don't believe he put it out there as a condition. Probably came up when behind closed doors.

Surprised something as controversial and as heated as that didn't get leaked to TMZ back in the day and Landry not finding out on his tablet.

Last edited: