The Secret Condition H.R. Bum Bright Had For Selling The Dallas Cowboys

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
As a person who was old enough to remember this time, it was as big of a blow back as if you had fired Santa Claus. There were parades in Tom Landy's honor and the fans were pretty pissed. I can see why he wanted someone else to take the heat. That said I'm really surprised that Landry was so rude behind the scenes. He never projected that in public.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
Bum Bright was an idiot and ran the franchise into the ground. My only issue with the Landry firing was the way it was bungled by JJ and Jimmy. Landry deserved more respect as he was leaving. Landry also should have been a bit more flexible in his thought process as he realized the league had caught up to him. The number one culprit of his demise was the terrible drafts that we had that finally depleted the roster.

risco

Reaction score
Fun fact of trivia showing how much useless information is in my head: When he owned the Cowboys, H.R. 'Bum' Bright made it condition that he would only sell the team to somebody who would fire Tom Landry. That condition caused all prospective buyers to back off and shut down negotiations except for ONE: Jerry Jones.

Every other prospective buyer freaked out at hearing Bright's condition. "Fire God's Coach? Are you freaking kidding me? I'd instantly become the most hated person in the state of Texas. I'd be more hated in Dallas than Lee Harvey Oswald!"

Far from backing off or balking at firing Landry, Jones actually responded enthusiastically to this condition for buying the team. He excitedly told Bright that he'd already planned to bring in his good friend Jimmy Johnson to coach the team if he became the owner. This is why despite the fact several other prospective buyers offered more money, Bright sold the team to Jerry Jones. Because Jones was the only one who promised Bright that he'd fire Tom Landry.

When he first bought the team in 1984, Bright was a huge fan of Landry. Over the next 5 years though, Bright found Landry and GM Tex Schramm to be incredibly arrogant. As the team's fortunes plunged in the late 1980's, Bright wanted to make some changes. He was told in no uncertain terms to mind his own business, keep his mouth shut and just keep signing the checks.

Landry was so big in Dallas, even when he began to fail, nobody could apply any pressure to get him to change how he was doing things. And Landry resented even having to deal with Bright or hear any criticism from him. Cowboy's owners were neither seen nor heard from, as far as Landry was concerned.

Landry fully expected to be the Cowboy's coach until he was good and ready to hang it up and retire on his own.

Landry let Bright know this, of course. Shut up, keep signing the checks, mind your own business, and when I'm ready to ride off into the sunset in my own sweet time, I'll let you know.

Bright came up with a way to fire Landry without his fingerprints every being involved where the public could see it.

Jerry Jones took all the heat at the time. Not until years later was it revealed that Bright had made firing Landry a condition of selling the team.

1 reason I respect Jerry: he could have shifted a LOT of the heat he took for firing Landry by telling the truth: Bright made it a condition of selling me the team. I had to do it or he wouldn't sell it to me. Instead Jerry kept his mouth shut and took all the heat.

For years it was just assumed to be an amazing coincidence that Bright sold the team to the 1 guy who had no problem firing Tom Landry and replacing him with an old college buddy.

For us old heads- we knew this a long time ago when it was a big topic. And if Coach Landry was still living it probably would still be a big topic.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Loved Landry, but it was time for him to retire. Everyone could see it. He was spending more time at Billy Graham crusades in the off season than working on his team. Tex was Jerry Jones before Jerry Jones came along, he could sell ice to Eskimos. The future of football was coming into the NFL, guys like Bill Walsh and his new high powered offense. While Landry's 2 split back offense, and flex defense had been figured out. Tex knew this and forced Tom to bring in Hackett, and then another coach, (coached at UT and the Chiefs), to run the offense. Tex kept building up Landry, he didn't want to fade from the spot light. Tex should of been fired well before that as well.

I loved Landry, I played my home games at Tom Landry stadium, but it was time to move on and I had no problem with Jerry removing him and replacing him.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
One problem with staying too long & having a showman like Schramm build you up into a seemingly irreplaceable icon is that once Landry declined as a coach the culture in the organization became dysfunctional.

A lot of people like to point the finger at Bum Bright and claim he's the reason Landry lost his mojo.

This is nonsense.

Bright had the same amount of influence and control over the franchise during his 5 year tenure that Clint Murchison Jr. had. Which was zero.

The Dallas Cowboys were the Tom & Tex show, period. That's the way Schramm built it, and as long as the team was successful there was no need for anybody to seek changes.

As the years rolled by however, towards the end Landry stopped putting in the 'football hours' and spent way more time doing speaking engagements and public appearances and so on. He became extremely detached from the actual job, and it showed during instances in which he became confused and sent in goal line plays at mid field. There are plenty of stories about Landry over the final few years in Dallas not knowing the names of his own starters and failing to grasp the game situation.

Even as this decline of Landry's actual coaching ability was occurring, Schramm was doing his best to hide it, to keep it all running smoothly. Even if that involved directly lying to the guy who owned the team. Schramm considered himself & Landry to BE the Dallas Cowboys, the heart of the franchise. This kind of viewpoint made it easy for Schramm & Landry to reject any kind of criticism or attempt to accurately assess where the franchise needed changes.

What ended up happening is that Schramm & Landry rubbed Bright's face in this once too often, how they were icons of the franchise and he was an anonymous nobody who should just quit rocking the boat and go along to get along and leave them alone.

Schramm tried to hide it when they brought Paul Hackett in to be the OC. The signs of problems were showing at that time....

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Loved Landry, but it was time for him to retire. Everyone could see it. He was spending more time at Billy Graham crusades in the off season than working on his team. Tex was Jerry Jones before Jerry Jones came along, he could sell ice to Eskimos. The future of football was coming into the NFL, guys like Bill Walsh and his new high powered offense. While Landry's 2 split back offense, and flex defense had been figured out. Tex knew this and forced Tom to bring in Hackett, and then another coach, (coached at UT and the Chiefs), to run the offense. Tex kept building up Landry, he didn't want to fade from the spot light. Tex should of been fired well before that as well.

I loved Landry, I played my home games at Tom Landry stadium, but it was time to move on and I had no problem with Jerry removing him and replacing him.

The mind has a huge capacity to excuse and deceive itself. This is why strong accountability measures need to be in place in any culture, or it can turn dysfunctional. I just recently watched the documentary 'Happy Valley', which detailed the Sandusky fiasco at Penn State. After being caught molesting a child right there in the Nittany Lions showers, Sandusky was not reported to the police. An incredibly bad decision was made to handle this 'in house', and key people involved swept it under the rug....and Sandusky went on to molest several more young boys.

1 figure grew so big, when a decision was made to look the other way, nobody could really countermand it.

Now, that case is an extreme example. The case in Dallas was incredibly benign in comparison. But at it's heart you had a coach who THOUGHT he was still in command of the NFL game when in fact, as you point out, he's not putting in the 'football hours' any more to scout players, prepare game plans, study film, etc. He was in fact deceiving himself thinking he was ready for the season when he'd spent far more time doing public speaking than attending to his coaching duties. Landry had essentially started working at a second job that over the years began to eat more and more into the time that he previously had devoted to coaching.

But in that culture at Valley Ranch, who was gonna take Landry by the elbow and pull him aside and tell him this? As you mention, Schramm tried to 'point' Landry in the right direction several times, but he could not force Landry to recommit himself to coaching full time.

A situation developed in which Landry is actually surrounded by people who are helping him to deceive himself. He keeps calling for a guy to go into the game that was cut two years ago. They cover for him. He sends in a goalline play when the team is at midfield, they pretend not to notice. He calls a 2 years starter by the wrong name, nobody corrects him.

The amazing thing is that Schramm was able to cover for him and keep it going for as long as it lasted.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Am I the only one here that finds it ironic that Bright had it out for Landry because he felt slighted by the coach and a few short yrs later jerry jones is in the same boat with jimmy Johnson.

IMO the wheels came off for Landry due a string of bad drafts in the mid 80's. Coaches don't forget how to coach and the drafting had started to pick up again. Don't forget that the team jimmy Johnson inherited had ken norton, Kevin Gogan, Nate newton and Michael Irvin in place and Landry had already met with Troy aikman at the cotton bowl.

The Cowboys organization has now had roughly the same amount of time with the jerry jones era as it had with Landry /schram

Reverse the two eras. Start the franchise with jerry coming in hot and winning three Super Bowls quickly and fading into mediocrity and many of you younger fans probably aren't even fans of the team. Cowboys certainly aren't Americans team.
It took many years of sustained success, 10 NFC championship games in 13 years to build that. We were the New England patriots of the 60-70 and early 80's.
Who knows what we have brewing right now. The future certainly looks bright and first and foremost I will always be a cowboys fan but make me choose and I'm choosing the Landry era every day all day long
I couldn't agree more. The base argument would be only that Landry stayed too long.

haleyrules

Reaction score

Absolutely. It just could have been handled better. Jerry was too brash about it. Landry should have been offered another executive job and if he declined his "Promotion" that would have saved face for everyone and it would have been very easy to sell.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bum Bright was an idiot and ran the franchise into the ground. My only issue with the Landry firing was the way it was bungled by JJ and Jimmy. Landry deserved more respect as he was leaving. Landry also should have been a bit more flexible in his thought process as he realized the league had caught up to him. The number one culprit of his demise was the terrible drafts that we had that finally depleted the roster.
What was the correct way for Jerry to fire Landry.

Jerry didn't want to wait around and leave Landry in limbo while the media was reporting about the story.

Jerry was the owner and Landry's boss, yet Jerry the millionaire went to where Landry was located to give him the new in person. Jerry could have just fired him over the phone.

Jerry could have told the media that Jimmy will be the new HC. That would have been something to complain about in terms of lack of class, but the actual story always seemed like the right way to do it.

In reality, a Hill-Billy millionaire like Jerry with no media savvy was always going to be hated by the Landry loyalists regardless of how he did it..

Plankton

Reaction score

Jerry didn't want to wait around and leave Landry in limbo while the media was reporting about the story.

Jerry was the owner and Landry's boss, yet Jerry the millionaire went to where Landry was located to give him the new in person. Jerry could have just fired him over the phone.

Jerry could have told the media that Jimmy will be the new HC. That would have been something to complain about in terms of lack of class, but the actual story always seemed like the right way to do it.

In reality, a Hill-Billy millionaire like Jerry with no media savvy was always going to be hated by the Landry loyalists regardless of how he did it..

It's funny, but the whole ordeal of this fashioned a new NFL rule regarding ownership, which became known as the Jerry Jones Rule.

It states that new ownership cannot make any moves related to team personnel until the sale is approved by the league.

Jones fired Landry on February 25, 1989. He was not officially approved as owner of the Cowboys until April 18, 1989.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny, but the whole ordeal of this fashioned a new NFL rule regarding ownership, which became known as the Jerry Jones Rule.

It states that new ownership cannot make any moves related to team personnel until the sale is approved by the league.

Jones fired Landry on February 25, 1989. He was not officially approved as owner of the Cowboys until April 18, 1989.

It would have been weird if Jerry fired Landry and then didn't get approved to buy the team...

bark

Reaction score
The mind has a huge capacity to excuse and deceive itself. This is why strong accountability measures need to be in place in any culture, or it can turn dysfunctional. I just recently watched the documentary 'Happy Valley', which detailed the Sandusky fiasco at Penn State. After being caught molesting a child right there in the Nittany Lions showers, Sandusky was not reported to the police. An incredibly bad decision was made to handle this 'in house', and key people involved swept it under the rug....and Sandusky went on to molest several more young boys.

1 figure grew so big, when a decision was made to look the other way, nobody could really countermand it.

Now, that case is an extreme example. The case in Dallas was incredibly benign in comparison. But at it's heart you had a coach who THOUGHT he was still in command of the NFL game when in fact, as you point out, he's not putting in the 'football hours' any more to scout players, prepare game plans, study film, etc. He was in fact deceiving himself thinking he was ready for the season when he'd spent far more time doing public speaking than attending to his coaching duties. Landry had essentially started working at a second job that over the years began to eat more and more into the time that he previously had devoted to coaching.

But in that culture at Valley Ranch, who was gonna take Landry by the elbow and pull him aside and tell him this? As you mention, Schramm tried to 'point' Landry in the right direction several times, but he could not force Landry to recommit himself to coaching full time.

A situation developed in which Landry is actually surrounded by people who are helping him to deceive himself. He keeps calling for a guy to go into the game that was cut two years ago. They cover for him. He sends in a goalline play when the team is at midfield, they pretend not to notice. He calls a 2 years starter by the wrong name, nobody corrects him.

The amazing thing is that Schramm was able to cover for him and keep it going for as long as it lasted.

I acknowledge that you couched your example here but dear lord why even introduce this in a discussion of coach Landry.

bark

Reaction score

I agree X there was never going to be a good way to do it once the deal was struck

drawandstrike

Reaction score
It was an awkward situation, true. No matter how Jerry fired Landry, he was still firing God's Coach & replacing him with that heathen from Miami, Jimmy Johnson.

The brutal truth was that Landry had been trying to do 2 jobs at once and was taking his 2nd job more seriously than his main job, and he was such an iconic figure in Dallas that this situation was allowed to continue for several seasons until Bright selling the team to Jerry Jones forced it's end.

Plankton

Reaction score
It would have been weird if Jerry fired Landry and then didn't get approved to buy the team...

Yeah, I'm not sure of how that would be resolved.

Imagine if Jones was like John Spano with the Islanders, who was announced as having bought the team, but was then found to not have the money to actually buy the team?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree X there was never going to be a good way to do it once the deal was struck
Jerry should have given him a buyout deal that required Landry to make Jerry look like he did the right thing. All Landry would have to say is that he was going to retire anyway and then Jerry could have given him a couple of million extra; although, that might have been a problem back then because Jerry was strapped for cash.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You guys do realize that Irvin was Landry's draft. Several of the OL were already with the team before Jimmy and Jerry came into the picture and Troy was always going to be the pick of the Cowboys, even before the team was sold. When Jerry bought the team, there was really not enough time to put together the scouting and draft. That first year, they really used the draft work from the Landry Staff. You also may or may not realize that Landry tried to hire Jimmy to be a coordinator the season before or in that offseason, I don't recall which. A lot of people say that the game had passed Tom by but I don't really believe that. I think the team was depleted of talent and we had no QB.

Maybe the game had passed him by but I will tell you this, Bright did the team no favors. He wouldn't put money into the team. I would also say that had Coach Landry stayed on, this team may not have looked all that different then it did when Jimmy and Jerry came in.

JMO

Tobal

Reaction score
Well, toward the end of his tenure...say the last 5 yrs or so...Landry had failed to keep up with advances in stategy and techniques. Basically, he was not a great coach any longer. He kept a lot of his old players around for far too long.He still had a great reputation but not the skills. Many, maybe most, wanted to see him retire. This is not discussed now but at the time it was a hot topic. I am certainly not disrespecting Tom Landry. But, it was a different situation back then...toward the end of his time in Dallas.

I disagree. I think the personnel department had been caught up with. They were doing "cute" things and it wasn't paying off as it had in the past. They also had soem bad luck and other teams had caught up with them. The talent on the team was poor he wasn't the guy bringing in the talent. Did Jimmy come in and win with his team? Aikman would have been taken regardless of Jimmy. Irvin has just got there

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You guys do realize that Irvin was Landry's draft. Several of the OL were already with the team before Jimmy and Jerry came into the picture and Troy was always going to be the pick of the Cowboys, even before the team was sold. When Jerry bought the team, there was really not enough time to put together the scouting and draft. That first year, they really used the draft work from the Landry Staff. You also may or may not realize that Landry tried to hire Jimmy to be a coordinator the season before or in that offseason, I don't recall which. A lot of people say that the game had passed Tom by but I don't really believe that. I think the team was depleted of talent and we had no QB.

Maybe the game had passed him by but I will tell you this, Bright did the team no favors. He wouldn't put money into the team. I would also say that had Coach Landry stayed on, this team may not have looked all that different then it did when Jimmy and Jerry came in.

JMO
And the team did make the playoffs as division champs in 1985. The team was only really bad from late in 1986 when Danny got hurt through the 1988 season with Landry. I think Cowboy fans just weren't used to losing because of the high mark that Landry had set in the 1970's.

bark

Reaction score

JMO
Yea . I made all of the points in my post but thanks for the back up. Ok well maybe not all of them. :D