The Skinny on the Playoff Picture

willia451

Reaction score
The Cowboys can clinch a playoff spot this weekend if we win against Baltimore AND............one of the following four things happens:

1. A Tampa loss, an Atanta loss, and a Chicago loss or tie

2. A Tampa loss, a Philly loss or tie, and a Chicago loss or tie

3. An Atlanta loss, a Philly loss or tie, and a Chicago loss or tie

4. An Atlanta loss, a Philly loss or tie (Dallas clinches based on strength of victory over Chicago).

To me, I just can't make the reach that Tampa would lose to SD at Tampa. Any given Sunday and all that. But, I'm sure Tampa will be heavily favored and should win that game.

The other games are:

GB at Chicago

Atl at Minn

Philly at Washington

All three will be tough games.

Wash is not eliminated yet. They would like nothing better than to knock Philly down a peg, ensuring they at least will not have a losing record this year; while keeping their very dim playoff hopes alive. Plus they are at home. I can see this one going to the Commanders, if they play a very good game, and Philly does not. Plus its an NFC east division rivalry game. So anything can happen.

Minn is surging. They have won 4 in a row. Its very possible they beat Atl at home. As they try to lock up their division and the 3 seed. But Atl has won 3 out of their last 4; and they don't suck on the road. Minn will be a slight favorite in my mind.

I don't see GB beating Chicago at Soldier Field. GB is not playing well and have lost 4 in a row. Chicago is fighting for their playoff lives, and have won 2 in a row. This is a must win for them.

Conclusion: if we take care of business against Baltimore, we COULD clinch this weekend. I'd give it about a 50-50 shot. Which ain't bad.

Go Cowboys!!!

WG5516

Reaction score
It will come down to the final game in Philly, which I hate. McNabb has a tendency to go nuts when he plays us. Granted our D has stepped up big time since we last played, anything can happen in a NFC East game.

twentytwo

Reaction score
Looks like we are going to be rooting for quite a few teams this weekend.

Thanks for posting.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
After looking at the scenarios to the point of nausia for me it simply comes down to this. Win and we are in. If we can't win the last 2 games to secure our playoff lives then we don't deserve it. If some other team knocks us out obviously they did what they needed to do and we could not.

willia451

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2501304 said:
After looking at the scenarios to the point of nausia for me it simply comes down to this. Win and we are in. If we can't win the last 2 games to secure our playoff lives then we don't deserve it. If some other team knocks us out obviously they did what they needed to do and we could not.
Yeah. There IS always that.

But you have to admit, it would be nice to have already clinched, going into Philly.

Go Cowboys!!!

willia451

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2501314 said:
#3 and #4 look like the same thing.
I thought that as well. #3 just has Chicago thrown in there as well as just another scenario to consider. Such as, if Chicago losses, you don't have to worry about the tie breaker.

But, you ARE right. In my mind at least, if # 4 happens, who cares about # 3?

Go Cowboys!!!

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2501304 said:

That's how I see it also. If you need this and that to happen you usually didn't belong in the first place. This is a little different though.
Three games with out our starting QB and still having a pretty good chance with a little help I'll take.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Dallas, GB, Minnesota, and Washington all win and we are in? Awesome.

BTW, if we do indeed clinch this weekend, I would sit Witten, TO, and Newman against the Eagles. I would play Romo the first half and then let Bollinger play the 2nd half. Give Romo one half to keep his rhythm and to get more acclimated with Williams and Bennett.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Sometimes, it feels like I am the only one who thinks that Tampa just isn't all that great.

Not only do I think the Chargers can beat them, I think they will.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SD beating Tampa would not come as a suprise to me. SD has played in some very close games and has lost in some freak fashions at times this year. They still have some very good talent on that team

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2501448 said:
Sometimes, it feels like I am the only one who thinks that Tampa just isn't all that great.

Not only do I think the Chargers can beat them, I think they will.

Well here is the thing about SD.....if there is a way to lose a ballgame, SD will find that way. They, along with Houston are the two best teams at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2501449 said:
SD beating Tampa would not come as a suprise to me. SD has played in some very close games and has lost in some freak fashions at times this year. They still have some very good talent on that team

they also win in freak fashions too......like last week....and i still dont know what happened.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I really hope that players don't read this non-sense. The way to ensure we get into the playoffs is very simple:

Beat Baltimore
Beat Philly

Don't worry about the rest.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Biggems;2501450 said:
Well here is the thing about SD.....if there is a way to lose a ballgame, SD will find that way. They, along with Houston are the two best teams at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

True but I will say this for Houston they have come on strong as of late winning their last 4 games including a win over Tenn. I expect TB to be the favorite in the game but a SD win could very well happen.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Biggems;2501452 said:
they also win in freak fashions too......like last week....and i still dont know what happened.

I agree, SD for the most part has been in every game so I expect this one will be no different

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2501459 said:
True but I will say this for Houston they have come on strong as of late winning their last 4 games including a win over Tenn. I expect TB to be the favorite in the game but a SD win could very well happen.

If not for Chicken Spice and his foolishness at the end of games, Houston would be in the thick of the playoff hunt. I still can't believe how he choked away that huge lead against the Colts in 4 minutes.

willia451

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2501461 said:
I agree, SD for the most part has been in every game so I expect this one will be no different
I have zero faith in SD to win a ball game. After watching them, at home, against Atl. I was so pissed. But, any given Sunday I guess.

Go Cowboys!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Biggems;2501462 said:
If not for Chicken Spice and his foolishness at the end of games, Houston would be in the thick of the playoff hunt. I still can't believe how he choked away that huge lead against the Colts in 4 minutes.

Yeah that was great wasn't it. :lmao2: Talk about a QB controversy taking off had Rosenfels had not had those late turnovers. There still is a bit of one going but Schaub play has been good as of late and a lot of the talk is dying down around here. Next season look for Rosenfels to be some where else.