The Skinny on the Playoff Picture

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;2501455 said:
I really hope that players don't read this non-sense. The way to ensure we get into the playoffs is very simple:

Beat Baltimore
Beat Philly

Don't worry about the rest.

You're right, of course.

We fans can't get too caught up in the next game, because we have to gear ourselves up to cheer for one game at a time. If we don't focus all our energy on this week and work the cliches into overdrive, then the team will not be able to summon from the vast pool of the karma we fans have generated through our positive thoughts when they are playing Baltimore.

In fact, we shouldn't talk about any "nonsense" scenarios that would allow us to clinch this week, because then we fans might be distracted and cheer less heartily for our team next week, the consequences of which I tremble to consider. Picture, if you will, as Jay Ratliff's sack celebration, a single tear running down his right cheek. Consider, on the sidelines, Martellus Bennett, morosely contemplating whether or not his career really means anything.

Yes, it's just that serious.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
willia451;2501471 said:
I have zero faith in SD to win a ball game. After watching them, at home, against Atl. I was so pissed. But, any given Sunday I guess.

Go Cowboys!!!

You were pissed because you wanted Alt to lose really bad me too. SD has issues no doubt but they are a team who has been in the games through out the year and 1 or 2 big plays seem to do them in. I expect they will give Tampa a run for their money this weekend.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2501485 said:
You're right, of course.

We fans can't get too caught up in the next game, because we have to gear ourselves up to cheer for one game at a time. If we don't focus all our energy on this week and work the cliches into overdrive, then the team will not be able to summon from the vast pool of the karma we fans have generated through our positive thoughts when they are playing Baltimore.

In fact, we shouldn't talk about any "nonsense" scenarios that would allow us to clinch this week, because then we fans might be distracted and cheer less heartily for our team next week, the consequences of which I tremble to consider. Picture, if you will, as Jay Ratliff's sack celebration, a single tear running down his right cheek. Consider, on the sidelines, Martellus Bennett, morosely contemplating whether or not his career really means anything.

Please tell me you're joking....

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2501553 said:
Please tell me you're slightly more adept than that at identifying sarcasm. :)
*whew*

I thought it was... but just couldn't be sure because I haven't seen you post that much. But now that I am sure, please post more. ;)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You're right, of course.

We fans can't get too caught up in the next game, because we have to gear ourselves up to cheer for one game at a time.
:laugh2: Well put.

I think the most likely scenario is us winning out, but that a very close second is the Falcons and Bucs losing this weekend, and the Bears losing in Houston in week 17.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
You're right, of course.

I know I am right. ;)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I expect MN to beat Atl. I expect TB to be in a game against SD and I expect TB to win. But SD could very well win that game. I don't expect Wash to beat Philly but you never know in a divisional game. I don't care too much about CHI but GB is not a bad team.

I still think we need to win out. To do so will guarantee the 5th seed and will give this team a great deal of confidence as well as putting fear into other teams.

BigDave95

Reaction score
You're right, of course.

Very funny!!

All these people who come on here and scream "We have to take it one game at a time!!" "We have to focus on this week and not look ahead." They crack me up. We're not players!! We're stupid message board fans. It's ok if we look ahead. And we don't need to give 110% either.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
BigDave95;2501888 said:
Very funny!!

All these people who come on here and scream "We have to take it one game at a time!!" "We have to focus on this week and not look ahead." They crack me up. We're not players!! We're stupid message board fans. It's ok if we look ahead. And we don't need to give 110% either.

I'm pretty sure I said the players. Carry on though.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
You're right, of course.

Good stuff.
:laugh2:

alancdc

Reaction score
Wrangler87;2501448 said:
Sometimes, it feels like I am the only one who thinks that Tampa just isn't all that great.

Not only do I think the Chargers can beat them, I think they will.

Totally agree. They still have a shot a the West and Denver doesn't play until 4 so they will play "hard" at 1. Did anyone see how SD beat KC? Almost like it is their destiny to play at home against Denver next week for the AFC West and avenge the Ed Hocule, however you spell his name, blown fumble call earlier in the year. Garcia has a bad calf, and his mobility is all he's got, Brooks is hurt and a starting safety, Phillips, is out. I am more concerned that ATL will go in and beat Minn. I am also big on the "due" factor, and doesn't GB HAVE TO win a game at some point?

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
alancdc;2501931 said:
Totally agree. They still have a shot a the West and Denver doesn't play until 4 so they will play "hard" at 1. Did anyone see how SD beat KC? Almost like it is their destiny to play at home against Denver next week for the AFC West and avenge the Ed Hocule, however you spell his name, blown fumble call earlier in the year. Garcia has a bad calf, and his mobility is all he's got, Brooks is hurt and a starting safety, Phillips, is out. I am more concerned that ATL will go in and beat Minn. I am also big on the "due" factor, and doesn't GB HAVE TO win a game at some point?

It's interesting to think that had SD held on to that game vs. Denver they'd be tied going into the final two weeks of the season, with a game to be played.... I hope Denver loses and SD wins. Not only for our benefit, but for the "revenge" game!

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
willia451;2501312 said:
Yeah. There IS always that.

But you have to admit, it would be nice to have already clinched, going into Philly.

Go Cowboys!!!

I see what you're saying, but I think I'd rather go to Philly and clinch for two reasons:

1. We don't need our guys to have a week off because they already clinched a playoff birth. I want them riding this momentum all the way through.

2. Philly will beat Washington this week, giving them a glimmer of hope for the playoffs. Would love to give them a beat down and knock them out.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
San Diego has been given new life by Denver, hopefully they will put it together defensively for one game.

Go Chargers and Vikings!

It wouldnt surprise me one bit if we ended up traveling to NY for the wildcard game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2501448 said:
Sometimes, it feels like I am the only one who thinks that Tampa just isn't all that great.

Not only do I think the Chargers can beat them, I think they will.
I'm right there with ya. I think that whole division is overrated...except maybe Carolina.

TB might be better than we think...but they lost to Brad and the Boys. Their offense does not have the weapons to make a serious run.

l0ngsh0t

Reaction score
I keep saying this

All we need is for ATL and Phili to lose this weekend in order to guarantee a playoff spot. Chicago and TB are irrelevent this weekend.