CFZ The Solution Is Simple

plasticman

Reaction score
When Dak throws 28 or fewer passes in a game he is the best QB in the league.

Under these circumstances the Cowboys are 27-1, a winning percentage of 96.4%. Roethlisberger comes in 2nd at 93.3% and Mahomes 3rd with 91.3%.

Dak completed over 72% of his passes with a 5 to 1 TD/INT ratio for a passer rating of 115.4. In these 28 games he had thrown 47 TD's and 9 INT's.

Of course, this implies a productive running game that forces defenses to respect that element of the offense.

It is also means that the defense can take advantage of their offenses long drives to be rested enough to give maximum effort each play The combination of less clock time combined with a tenacious defense will frustrates opponent offenses. Due to less opportunity, this creates pressure for the opponent by increasing the urgency to score, particularly in the 2nd half.

Dak was never a naturally gifted strong arm blue chip passer and it is ridiculous to compare him to those types of QB's. Dak has a different set of skills that emphasizes leadership, consistency and ball protection. The greatest flaw in Kellen Moore's offensive philosophy was trying to force Dak into being something he never was.

Dak was never a 1st round top 5 pick but he was perfect for the type of offense that the Cowboys used in his rookie season.

This philosophy is nothing new. Most recent teams that have won multiple Super Bowls used the same concept. The Ravens, Steelers, and Patriot teams early in Brady's career was based on the same concept, dominant running and opportunistic passing. In Brady's first four seasons as the starter the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls. In half of the regular season games, Brady threw 30 or less passes.

This is the secret to the success of QB's like Russel Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and Andy Dalton. The only QB's that were highly successful throwing the ball more than 30 times a game were guys like Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Mahomes. Again, these are the guys with the elite arms.

It is true that there were circumstances in which the Cowboys were forced to throw more often, like being down late in the game by a large margin. However, quite often, the Cowboys passed far more often than necessary. There were only 33 games in which the Cowboys were down by 10 or more points at halftime. However, they passed for more than 28 attempts in 59 games.
\
I would say that those circumstances will be rare this upcoming season due to the defense and it's ability to keep the score lower.

The only issue I see was the Cowboys were not aggressive enough in acquiring superior talent at the RB position. With 17 games in the regular season it was critical to obtain real talent at the RB position. The "warm body" approach will fail. I was disappointed when the Cowboys didn't draft another RB in day #1 or day #2. This should have been the #1 priority because you then have a 1-2 punch with legitimate talent. Don't get me wrong, I still would have taken Vaughn in the 6th but the Cowboys should have dedicated more resources to prevent their season from being destroyed by an injury at that position.

In order for the Cowboys to be successful and go to the Super Bowl, they must restrict the number of passes each game. The defense must be consistent and , most importantly, the Cowboys must discover another effective RB within their ranks. One of these young guys must have a dominant preseason.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well you came up with the "secret sauce " lol.
I came up with pretty much the same thing in 2017, but no one listened or cared.
Back then they had the RB , the OL, but not the defense. but even so it would have worked better than what they did.

I remember when dak and cowboys were criticized for him not throwing enough, lol and not throwing deep.
He had less than 200 yds per game, so quickly the cowboys worked on not winning games, or playoff games, but getting dak
over 200 yds, then 300 yds lol, then 400 yds, and now 400 yds is what they like and shoot for.
And fans, and jones boys were behind and for all of this.

And you cant throw for 3-400 yds throwing 28 times a game or less. You can win the game, but you dont get those passing yds ! lol
Jones boys and fans , and media like passing way more than running.

2 years ago I think NE played buffalo on windy night, and NE never passed and won the game.
The media and probably goodell did not like that, so a little talk that week, then it was if it never happened.

So I doubt what you suggest happening , or being planned on a regular basis, to actually happen.
The jones boys would not like it.

Lets look at lamb(jerrys fav and annointed # 88 on draft day lol) and jerrys new toy cook.
Jerry wants to see these guys get lots of targets every game, the HC wants to throw to luepke, shoon, some of the other guys too.
While the RB they want to take it easy on pollard, see what jones can do, and test out Duece.
So just looking at that tells me more passes than runs , and they will pass more than 28.

What you want isnt even on the table.except maybe a game or 2 .

If I were running the show, I would have tried to get gibbs in the draft, and duece , and have those 3 as the main weapons, running and passing.
and then let dak throw a little.
I think gibbs will be a star RB, at least for 1st 2 years, have to wait and see if I am wrong or right.

Now Detroit, is ironically set up to run your suggested offense,dont make goff throw too much, run a lot , ball control, rest defense, eat the clock.
Question is now is dan cambell smart enough to see it? and do it?
It is possible, as they did draft gibbs when they already had 2 good backs, then they traded one of those, when they got gibbs.
So I am real curious as to what they will do in early games.

Most teams like to throw, and the more the merrier!
I have come to the conclusion that nfl coaching IQ's are just not very high as a general rule.
Maybe mike surprises me , but I doubt it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Under these circumstances the Cowboys are 27-1, a winning percentage of 96.4%. Roethlisberger comes in 2nd at 93.3% and Mahomes 3rd with 91.3%.

Dak completed over 72% of his passes with a 5 to 1 TD/INT ratio for a passer rating of 115.4. In these 28 games he had thrown 47 TD's and 9 INT's.

Of course, this implies a productive running game that forces defenses to respect that element of the offense.

It is also means that the defense can take advantage of their offenses long drives to be rested enough to give maximum effort each play The combination of less clock time combined with a tenacious defense will frustrates opponent offenses. Due to less opportunity, this creates pressure for the opponent by increasing the urgency to score, particularly in the 2nd half.

Dak was never a naturally gifted strong arm blue chip passer and it is ridiculous to compare him to those types of QB's. Dak has a different set of skills that emphasizes leadership, consistency and ball protection. The greatest flaw in Kellen Moore's offensive philosophy was trying to force Dak into being something he never was.

Dak was never a 1st round top 5 pick but he was perfect for the type of offense that the Cowboys used in his rookie season.

This philosophy is nothing new. Most recent teams that have won multiple Super Bowls used the same concept. The Ravens, Steelers, and Patriot teams early in Brady's career was based on the same concept, dominant running and opportunistic passing. In Brady's first four seasons as the starter the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls. In half of the regular season games, Brady threw 30 or less passes.

This is the secret to the success of QB's like Russel Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and Andy Dalton. The only QB's that were highly successful throwing the ball more than 30 times a game were guys like Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Mahomes. Again, these are the guys with the elite arms.

It is true that there were circumstances in which the Cowboys were forced to throw more often, like being down late in the game by a large margin. However, quite often, the Cowboys passed far more often than necessary. There were only 33 games in which the Cowboys were down by 10 or more points at halftime. However, they passed for more than 28 attempts in 59 games.
\
I would say that those circumstances will be rare this upcoming season due to the defense and it's ability to keep the score lower.

The only issue I see was the Cowboys were not aggressive enough in acquiring superior talent at the RB position. With 17 games in the regular season it was critical to obtain real talent at the RB position. The "warm body" approach will fail. I was disappointed when the Cowboys didn't draft another RB in day #1 or day #2. This should have been the #1 priority because you then have a 1-2 punch with legitimate talent. Don't get me wrong, I still would have taken Vaughn in the 6th but the Cowboys should have dedicated more resources to prevent their season from being destroyed by an injury at that position.

In order for the Cowboys to be successful and go to the Super Bowl, they must restrict the number of passes each game. The defense must be consistent and , most importantly, the Cowboys must discover another effective RB within their ranks. One of these young guys must have a dominant preseason.
The entire NFL knows that the secret to beating the Cowboys is to STOP the running game and let Dak beat you.
It has happened again and again and will repeat and rinse again this coming season.
When you have a one-dimensional offense that either runs or dies well you have all seen the results esp vs the Niners.
Until we have a new QB that defenses fear our team is going nowhere!

shabazz

Reaction score

\

Some of the stats you posted are an exact description of how the Niners utilize Brock Purdy

I agree with you in principle but it’s a shame we have to play a 160 Million dollar quarterback like the Niners play a quarterback that makes less than a million dollars a year……..sad.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Great thread and OP.

Dallas can win with Dak as QB. IMO, if the team had this particular defense in 2016 with rookie Zeke and that O line, it would have been absurd.

Dallas isn't going to beat Mahomes if Dak has to play like Mahomes. For all of the criticism of Mike's comments, I think McCarthy now gets it with Dak. You need a power run game to put him in positive situations and if you get that, he will look good.

I'm not sure that Dallas is there. RB2 is a big concern and with the injury, RB1 is somewhat of a concern too. That said, I'm not sure that they AREN'T there either. If the O line stays healthy and one of the other RB's step up, this could be a pretty good running game. A line of Tyron, Tyler, Biadasz, Martin, Steele is a whole lot of road graders.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Crying shame. Dallas had the blueprint when they drafted Dak. They went off the rails when they offered the JAG a big deal. Drafting trenches and defense ,RBs and TEs gives your team a toughness factor. And a support system any QB can win with. You can find one or 2 Prescotts in every draft. Revolve the door at QB. They are too expensive. Put an awesome team on the field and JAG qbs will do well. Philly is soon to learn they made the same Prescott foolish mistake. Hurts is only viable as long as his legs work. And the team around him is stacked. Now he has the cash bag they will trend down.

But at least Hurts earned a payday. He did make the show once. Dak on the other hand we know that story.....

blueblood70

Reaction score

\

step one complete, Kellen Moore ,New play caller, adjusted offense with better route trees, OLC, and OC..

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
In other words, the less chances Dak has of screwing up, the chances of winning are increased. Gotcha...

And now you and Jerry want him extended. Dak's agent should show up at the negotiations with a mask on his face. The guy will be 30 next month and whatever skills he had are diminishing. Give the bus keys to Rush and he will put up the same winning percentage at less than 10% his cost; and will probably play better in the playoffs if given the chance.

75boyz

Reaction score
The 2016 offense combined with the 2023 defense...
Yup,
that sounds like the infamous newly adopted "run the ball and rest the defense" offseason philosophy of the HC.
It's just that his coaching history doesn't quite support this so I guess it's a wait and see situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

\

This is an awesome presentation . Well done!!

Unfortunately it appears the plan in the Cowboys new Texas Coast offense is throw the ball more.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Some of the stats you posted are an exact description of how the Niners utilize Brock Purdy

I agree with you in principle but it’s a shame we have to play a 160 Million dollar quarterback like the Niners play a quarterback that makes less than a million dollars a year……..sad.
also SF is utilizing the Purdy period to challenge for SB's. While he is low paid.
They are another team perfect for using the offense above.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I disagree about Dak was never a blue chip passer. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Kellen Moore absolutely helped turn Dak into a prolific passer. You don't throw for 4,449 yards, a franchise single season high 37 TDs and a 104.2 passer rating (2021), 4,902 yards, 30 TDs and a 99.7 passer rating (2019) and were on pace to throw for 6k yards and shatter the single season NFL passing record before suffering a season ending injury early in 2020 by not being a prolific passer! Refusing to acknowledge that is just downright being mean and disrespectful.
:mad:

These statistical facts above pretty much destroy this thread's premise of Dak not being a good prolific passer.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The entire NFL knows that the secret to beating the Cowboys is to STOP the running game and let Dak beat you.
It has happened again and again and will repeat and rinse again this coming season.
When you have a one-dimensional offense that either runs or dies well you have all seen the results esp vs the Niners.
Until we have a new QB that defenses fear our team is going nowhere!
The playoffs is about defense, quarterbacking and coaching.
Team and players' weaknesses are magnified and exploited by good coaching.
For the past two years, the 49ers have said, "Dak. Beat us."
He couldn't.
That recipe isn't going to change.
So coaching is going to have to make the difference for Dallas because I'm not sure Dak can deliver on a game-winning drive. He didn't the two previous times.
This year will be the first, IMO, it's all on McCarthy's shoulders. He's not saddled with Jerry's hand-picked offensive coordinator any more.
Let's see what McCarthy can do with this offense and Dak in the post season (yes, I expect us to be there) to rewrite the narrative.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In other words, the less chances Dak has of screwing up, the chances of winning are increased. Gotcha...

And now you and Jerry want him extended. Dak's agent should show up at the negotiations with a mask on his face. The guy will be 30 next month and whatever skills he had are diminishing. Give the bus keys to Rush and he will put up the same winning percentage at less than 10% his cost; and will probably play better in the playoffs if given the chance.
Rush isn’t the answer . We need a QB who can put up the ball in the air when needed .

Dak is good enough when not expected to do too much . This presentation illustrates how effective he can be when we aren’t pass happy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I disagree about Dak was never a blue chip passer. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Kellen Moore absolutely helped turn Dak into a prolific passer. You don't throw for 4,449 yards, a franchise single season high 37 TDs and a 104.2 passer rating (2021), 4,902 yards, 30 TDs and a 99.7 passer rating (2019) and were on pace to throw for 6k yards and shatter the single season NFL passing record before suffering a season ending injury early in 2020 by not being a prolific passer! Refusing to acknowledge that is just downright being mean and disrespectful.
:mad:

These statistical facts above pretty much destroy this thread's premise of Dak not being a good prolific passer.
Yes but did producing a more prolific passing game make our offense more effective instead of pounding the rock ? Which I believe is the point of this thread .

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first step in this process is having Booger accept the fact he cannot play call his QB into a 160M QB. He is not Mahomes, Burrow, Allen or Herbert.

Prescott did not get Miss St to a #1 ranking by himself, he had a very good team and a great defense. He was a 4th rounder for a reason and has played well beyond that status but he is not the type QB that is going to carry a team. There are damned few that can, including Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Manning. They all need teams around them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

\

I have concerns about our RB position and depth as well. I’m also concerned about our Texas Coast offense which appears to be about more passing although McCarthy said after releasing Moore that he wanted to run the ball more . We shall see.