The Squib Kick

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Yeah it was poorly executed. I just don’t understand the thinking behind it.

***, just kick it off. As far as probability goes, attempting an onside kick versus kicking the ball back to the Browns with a long field would favor kicking the ball deep even with our marshmallow defense.

I don't know if he was actually trying an onside kick or just didn't make enough contact to get it down field like the one prior.

conner01

Reaction score
First one was amazing. Second one lost us a chance at the miracle again.......
I’m thinking his intention was to hit one of the up men but got too low on the ball
I don’t think there is any chance the result was the intention

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m thinking his intention was to hit one of the up men but got too low on the ball

I don’t think it was but he should have just kicked it off the T

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score

Agreed.

The first one worked in part because it was unexpected. The chances of that kick doing that again are less than they are of it being stopped by one of the up men for the Browns.

why not just kick the damn thing off?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
With the time remaining, two stops, and momentum, you just kick it off there.

Plus, I doubt the Browns try that reverse in that part of the field.

At close to midfield as they were, they had nothing to lose there trying the reverse ( I also think if Aldon Smith makes that tackle, we win the game, The Browns were ready to fold).

We make some interesting coaching decisions.

Garrett lacked imagination and aggressiveness. McCarthy seems to be aggressive just for the sake of appearances.

kumizi

Reaction score
We had a timeout and the 2 minute warning left. ******* decision.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I hate to start a thread about one play but I can’t find anything on line about MM’s thinking here.

Anyone heard anything from him about his thoughts on that kick?

Absolute head-scratcher.......either do an onside kick or kick the dame thing deep. Why give them a short field? Hell they were only 2-3 plays from adding 3 more points if they hadn't scored the TD.

Big_D

Reaction score

At close to midfield as they were, they had nothing to lose there trying the reverse ( I also think if Aldon Smith makes that tackle, we win the game, The Browns were ready to fold).

Garrett lacked imagination and aggressiveness. McCarthy seems to be aggressive just for the sake of appearances.

It's too much. There's being aggressive and there's being stupid. This team looks stupid.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score

AHHHH!!!

When Aldon was bearing down on him I screamed my voice hoarse. I thought we would win too if we got the ball back. Then the rest of the defense said, “Sit down and hold my beer.”

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

+1 ....Trying to withhold judgment coz it's too early but boy, it sure seems like he's trying to get too cute sometimes.

bigE79

Reaction score
I hate to start a thread about one play but I can’t find anything on line about MM’s thinking here.

Anyone heard anything from him about his thoughts on that kick?
I said it in the game thread,that was a stupid move,we still had over 5 min on the clock,kick the damn ball deep..

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

+1 ....Trying to withhold judgment coz it's too early but boy, it sure seems like he's trying to get too cute sometimes.

It's almost as if Jerry told McCarthy that he's sick of the criticism about this team not being aggressive, so make sure no matter what, we are aggressive!

That's exactly what happened by the way.