The Superdome to be no more

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
ABC news just said that they are going to tear down the Super Dome

WOW
Did they have a future Super Bowl scheduled there?

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
I can barely watch the events in New Orleans. It breaks your heart to see what's actually happening. The words surreal and nightmarish are understatements.

roughneck266

Reaction score
WOW! That is terrible news! I would have never imagined that it was that bad. Heck I kind of thought that out of everything else in New Orleans that was probably the strongest structure there.

parchy

Reaction score
roughneck266 said:
WOW! That is terrible news! I would have never imagined that it was that bad. Heck I kind of thought that out of everything else in New Orleans that was probably the strongest structure there.

I think what happened in the SD after the hurricane factored into the decision pretty heavily as well

yesfan

Reaction score
It's very sad.But it pales in comparison to the tragedy that has
left many dead,and so many people displaced.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't Benson, their owner pushing for a new stadium anyway. Sad with the events and it takes a catasrophe of this nature. But I believe they were a possibility to move to LA if he didn't get the stadium deal in a few years.

What a sad situation this is regardless.

Reaction score
from PFT:

BENSON PLANNING TO STICK IT TO NEW ORLEANS

A week after Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans and numerous other Gulf Coast communities, we've heard from our old friend John Marie, host of the Sports Court on 990-AM in the Crescent City. Over the past year or so, we've done several radio spots with John Marie, who isn't afraid to call it like he sees it when it comes to the Saints and their history of mismanagement and general ineptitude.

John Marie, who lost his home in Katrina and its aftermath, has forwarded to us a message from Fletcher Mackel of WDSU-TV containing some shocking revelations regarding the plans of Saints owner Tom Benson.

WDSU, you might recall, reported on Sunday that the Saints do not intend to give refunds to season ticket holders. The report was brief and vague, without identifying the source or disclosing any details.

Now, all of that has changed.

Mackel says that he has spoken directly with Saints executive Arnold Fielkow, who has outlined in detail owner Tom Benson's plan for profiting from the demise of New Orleans.

It was Fielkow, by the way, who recently told Louisiana state senator Mike Michot that Benson wants to move permanently to San Antonio. The media generally ignored the story.

Per Mackel through John Marie, Fielkow (who based on the following likely will soon be a former employee of the organization) says that Benson is hoping to anger the citizens and the Louisiana Legislature by refusing to issue refunds to season-ticket holders.

Writes Mackel: "[Fielkow] said Tom Benson WANTS to upset season ticket holders and the Louisiana Legislature! He wants to play this season in San Antonio, forcing the state to tell him that since he turned his back on the community in a time of need they won't make any more payments to him.

"If the state fails to make their payment next summer Louisiana is in breech [sic] of contract and Benson can move the team without making a penalty payment. He would then shop the team to the highest bidding city. San Antonio, L.A., even New Orleans with a better deal in place. He's simply going to use this tragedy get a better deal and perhaps [a] new stadium from some city."

The decision not to pay refunds, per Mackel, will be announced within the next 24-to-48 hours. Apparently, fine-print language in the tickets permits the team to deny refunds based on natural disasters.

Fielkow told Mackel that Benson simply does not care if this plan makes him the most hated man in the history of the city.

Mackel and John Marie both say that Fielkow is a good man, and that he is "passionate" and "upset" regarding Benson's intentions. Per Mackel, Fielkow has urged Benson to play this year's home games in Baton Rouge, so that the season-ticket holders may attend. Fielkow also told Mackel that insurance money for the Superdome along with possible federal finances could enable New Orleans to build a new or refurbished stadium that would also serve as a better place of evacuation when the next Category 5 storm prepares to make landfall.

Mackel says that he also has spoken with Saints running back Deuce McAllister, who said that "a bad decision" was about to be made by the organization. McAllister said he hopes the team can play in Baton Rouge and remain in New Orleans. Asked whether the Saints have played their last game in New Orleans, McAllister told Mackel: "I just don't know, nothing would surprise me."

These folks, starting with Fielkow, are getting the word out because, apparently, there's still time to change Benson's mind. John Marie and Fletcher Mackel are hoping that as many journalists, politicians, and fans as possible learn of Benson's plan and sound off in a loud, clear voice that his efforts to profit at the city's most dire time of crisis will not succeed.

We plan to do everything we can to spread the word on this. As to anyone out there who's in a position of influence of any kind, we hope that you do the same.

Reaction score
even more from PFT:

MORE ON THE SAINTS' TICKET FIASCO

In response to the report from Fletcher Mackel of WDSU-TV that Saints owner Tom Benson presently intends to refuse to provide refunds to Superdome season-ticket holders, Benson's legal position could be more tenuous than he realizes.

To the extent Benson believes that the tickets contain language making them non-refundable in the event of a natural disaster, he's wrong.

Based on images scanned and sent to us by a season-ticket holder, neither the back of the ticket nor the Saints season ticket policies contain such language.

Even if Benson could renege on a refund in the event of cancellation due to a hurricane, another reader raised a great point with us. If the game actually is played in a place other than the Superdome, a refund should be in order. After all, the team will have the opportunity to sell tickets to the game in the new venue.

The team's best argument might arise from language in the season ticket policies requiring that any disputes regarding the seats be submitted to mandatory arbitration, and that individual claims may not be consolidated with other claims to form, for example, a class action. Though we suspect that the laws of Louisiana likely would not permit such an onerous "choice of forum" provision to limit the legal rights of its citizens, the Saints very well could scare off any legal action by arguing vehemently that the language applies.

And if, in the end, Benson is required merely to pay refunds, he really hasn't lost any money. And if, in the end, he has to refund the money, he still will have provoked a breach of his contract with Louisiana to subsidize his football team in order to keep it in New Orleans.

Regarding Benson's apparent plan to finagle an exit from the Superdome lease without paying a multi-million dollar penalty, we've spread the word to all of the journalists that we know, and we're hoping that one or more of them will be able to shine an even brighter light on the situation. One of our readers suggests that, if Benson sticks it to the season ticket holders, the players should refuse to play until Benson changes his position.

Now that would be a lot more compelling -- and a lot more sympathetic -- than a guy breaking his contract for the purpose of putting more money in his own pocket.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I can't find it either but I heard them say it on the news. Funny thing is ABC.com doesn't have any story about it yet either.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
It was a piece of **** that needed to be destroyed a long time ago but I did have some great memories there...*poors out some beer in its honor*

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
I hate to hear that since it is a legendary structure and we won a Super Bowl in it (the first played indoors). However, with all the rape, murder, filth, and human suffering that took place in it this past week, I knew this would be the result. I wonder where the Sugar Bowl and the future Super Bowls will be played?

kmp77

Reaction score
Evolution takes millions of years...but the people in there devolved from people to animals in a matter of hours and days...#@%! sick.