The tag and the elephant in the room

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Blah blah blah, jerry hurt my feelings. keep pissing in the wind and crying when you get wet. Craps never ever-changing, you must be a dreamer or a new fan. sheesh

sean10mm

Reaction score
I mean, if the rumored Dak contracts are team killers, isn't the 2nd franchise tag being almost $40m a 2021 season killer, since that's at or near enough as makes no difference the $/year number everybody is afraid of? Only without the flexibility to game the cap system like you can on multi year deals?

So they tag Dak, write off 2021 barring a miracle haul in the draft for (cap $) peanuts since they can't do diddly in FA (again), and go back round again in 2022?

If paying QBs real QB money is just a loser on principle then just say *beep* it and get a cheap vet + draft a guy again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, I guess I am probably in the minority here. I don't believe that this situation is about what the Cowboys or Jerry did or didn't do. I believe that this negotiation was destined to end up here the minute Dak hired France. Jerry knows Todd France well. Jerry knew exactly how this was going to go IMO. This was coming the minute that decision was made by Dak. What's more, any team that has a player who is represented by that guy will eventually be in this same situation. That's how he does business and everybody knows it.
It comes down to, does our ownership believe Dak is our future franchise QB. If they do then you must reach a deal . Even if it’s near the top of market price now it won’t be in a couple years .

If you don’t think he’s worth the investment for the future then you let it play out. A few million a year for your QB shouldn’t make a difference if you truly believe in him.

I suspect our ownership do believe in him but are listening to public perception which is more divisive . And they have it in their mind he’s only their guy for a good deal which just isn’t going to be possible. And I think they know that .

It’s sad that our ownership aren’t able to make the evaluation themselves and jump in or out instead of relying on which way the public wind blows. But thats our destiny with promoters instead of real football people.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It comes down to, does our ownership believe Dak is our future franchise QB. If they do then you must reach a deal . Even if it’s near the top of market price now it won’t be in a couple years .

If you don’t think he’s worth the investment for the future then you let it play out. A few million a year for your QB shouldn’t make a difference if you truly believe in him.

I suspect our ownership do believe in him but are listening to public perception which is more divisive . And they have it in their mind he’s only their guy for a good deal which just isn’t going to be possible. And I think they know that .

It’s sad that our ownership aren’t able to make the evaluation themselves and jump in or out instead of relying on which way the public wind blows. But thats our destiny with promoters instead of real football people.

No. It comes down to, can they afford it and still hope to field a decent team. Everybody says a few more mil a year......... It's a hard cap, it's not always possible to do a few more mil a year and stay solid.

I believe it's sad that our fans don't see that this team is being more then fair with Dak and it's he and his representation who are not being realistic.

Two sides to every story I suppose.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dak won't no-show because the Cowboys can then just apply the tag next year, so this is a pretty silly premise.

If he doesn't play, it doesn't really matter what the Cowboys do, because they won't be competitive anyway.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No. It comes down to, can they afford it and still hope to field a decent team. Everybody says a few more mil a year......... It's a hard cap, it's not always possible to do a few more mil a year and stay solid.

I believe it's sad that our fans don't see that this team is being more then fair with Dak and it's he and his representation who are not being realistic.

Two sides to every story I suppose.
If we’d of managed some of our other contracts and players better we wouldn’t need to bicker with Dak.

It’s amazing how we are standing firm with Dak but didn’t on others.

kskboys

Reaction score

Completely disagree.

Overpaying QB's leads to mediocrity. What it really comes down to is whether Dak wants to be here.

kskboys

Reaction score
If we’d of managed some of our other contracts and players better we wouldn’t need to bicker with Dak.

It’s amazing how we are standing firm with Dak but didn’t on others.
The other players were willing to negotiate.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Completely disagree.

Overpaying QB's leads to mediocrity. What it really comes down to is whether Dak wants to be here.
I’m Not arguing that. Of course it limits the teams ability to build a better team under Cap.

But It’s not a players responsibility to manage the teams budget.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The other players were willing to negotiate.
And how do we know Dak isn’t negotiating. Perhaps it’s our ownership that isn’t.

So we really know the details in all of the other negotiations. Elliott certainly didn’t appear to negotiate much. He was going to sit out. lol

Verdict

Reaction score
Lots of teeth gnashing here and revisionist history. According to the talking heads Dak agreed to a deal last year but wasn’t able to get it finalized before the bell rang.

The Cowboys offered enough. It’s not on the team.

The deal didn’t get done. Both parties can run from that deal if they want. If Dak holds them hostage (and he may do that) I can see Jerry and Co. going in a different direction.

I think Stephen is intent on not paying so much that it cripples the team going forward.

Verdict

Reaction score
I’m Not arguing that. Of course it limits the teams ability to build a better team under Cap.

But It’s not a players responsibility to manage the teams budget.

While the latter is true, the player is stuck with the fact that the team only has so much to spend.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we don’t think Prescott is valuable enough to our success . Don’t pay him.

I certainly have less faith we can build a better team without him regardless if it limits our ability to surround him.

Right now , we have the OL signed, our key talent on offense signed for a couple years. Nows the time to make a run. Maybe we can finally make some great picks in draft on defense.

Then if it doesn’t pan out in a couple years , then we can start all over with a new QB and HC. But I wouldnt abort now over 3-5 million a year.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While the latter is true, the player is stuck with the fact that the team only has so much to spend.
Of course. But I’d be more concerned about my personal situation than the teams . The team will dump him whenever they’re ready anyway.

Fans take too much issue with these players personal situation. It’s every man for himself out there. Their career could end on the next snap. Owners don’t give a crap about them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not his problem. Players don't care about the cap and the effect on their team. The fact is the more cap they absorb, the less there is for others but they just don't care.

When this first started, Prescott even said everyone can get paid. No, they cannot. That's the dumbest comment he's made as a Cowboy. Every team lets players walk because of the cap.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course. But I’d be more concerned about my personal situation than the teams . The team will dump him whenever they’re ready anyway.

Fans take too much issue with these players personal situation. It’s every man for himself out there. Their career could end on the next snap. Owners don’t give a crap about them.
Fans really need to embrace that fact. There is no team except on that field. And that goes for every pro sport, just the way it is.

aikemirv

Reaction score
They still have Gilbert on the roster, did everyone forget he looked decent against Pitt? Just imagine if he wasn't surrounded by a practice squad o'line that day.

If Dak continues to behave like a greedy butt head, taking a good hard look at Gilbert might be a viable option moving forward.

Jerry will eventually cave, just like he did with Zeke. Dak knows this....
Actually, it was Dak who tried to cave right before the deadline and did not make it in time last year.