The Team "Nobody Wants to Play..."

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aikemirv;2442243 said:
When we play Pittsburg it will have been 17 days since they last had a home game there. As long as they don't let college teams play there the field should be decent barring any extreme weather situations.
December + Western Pennsylvania + open stadium = greater odds of a crappy Steelers field

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2442083 said:
One thing to remember though. A crappy field can really be an advantage to a passing team if they have proper cleats. It is harder to react to a WR in bad conditions. So, if we are able to make some throws it is to our advantage.

Also much harder to rush the passer.

Bad field could favor us. My only concern is the injury factor. Hope they come up with some solution to this problem.

Primetime42

Reaction score
JerryFan;2442407 said:
Thats the thing though. I'm pretty sure they have the high school finals there that weekend. I would find it hard to believe the field will be in the shape it was last year when the same thing happened. Jerry will throw a fit to the NFL not to mention I'm sure they got ripped pretty hard for last year.
Also, consider this.

The Steelers said they will replace the field for their last two home games of the year, which would be right after they play us.

Do you see any incentive for them to do proper field maintanence right before we play them? There's a good chance that field could be worse than ever.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Primetime42;2443120 said:
Also, consider this.

The Steelers said they will replace the field for their last two home games of the year, which would be right after they play us.

Do you see any incentive for them to do proper field maintanence right before we play them? There's a good chance that field could be worse than ever.

Now I'm really pissed! Is this true?

Primetime42

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2443159 said:
Now I'm really pissed! Is this true?
PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers will play on a new field during their final two regular-season home games.

A new layer of grass will be laid atop the current playing surface at Heinz Field on Sunday, a few hours after completion of Saturday's four district high school football championship games. The new turf will be in place for the West Virginia-Pittsburgh game on Friday afternoon.

This is the second year in a row that the Steelers have paid to have new sod installed before the end of the season.

Last year, a new layer of grass was put down hours before two inches of rain drenched the field during a 3-0 Steelers win over Miami Dolphins on Nov. 26, a game played in ankle-deep mud. Only the nose of the ball was visible after it was buried in the mush during a Steelers punt that wasn't fielded.

Heinz's hybrid grass surface held up much better this season, with bare patches between the hashmarks becoming visible only when the Steelers played two home games in five days last Sunday and Thursday. Counting the high school games, six games were scheduled at Heinz Field in a seven-day span.

With more than two weeks between home games, the Steelers chose to put down a new field well before their Dec. 7 game against Dallas.

Because Pitt also plays at Heinz Field, the stadium's grass surface gets more wear and tear than most other NFL stadiums. As many as 12 games not involving the Steelers are played there every season.

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has resisted installing artificial turf because his players strongly favor playing on grass.
Actually, it looks like we might be spared. This is good news.

newlander

Reaction score
We really would be the team nobody wants to play if Felix, Witten, Kosier and others were 100%. I see 10-6 and a wild card win. That's it though. Too many injuries and too much Wade. He'll be gone next season.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Right about that...........

Wade'll be gone by next season for sure...........I hope. And, I hope to Heaven that Jerry doesn't put Garrett in the slot just yet. Ron Rivera or Cowher for me.
That being said, I started this thread. And I stand by my original post. Every year, someone is the team that "no one wants to play" come late December/early January. Why not Dallas?
And I'm not banking this on the Niner win or the way we're going to destroy Seattle tomorrow. If we beat the Giants after that, then THAT'S the harbinger game that'll set the tone for the remainder of the season. And, for the life of me, I'm STILL not buying into this Giant team. Not now, not after last year, NEVER. I just don['t buy it..................