The Thanksgiving followed by Thursday game schedule

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this sucks? This team plays a late game on the road followed by a home game less than 4 days later.. then another game on the road 7 days hence. 3 games in a 12 day span, two on the road. I'm sorry but that is absolute garbage. Is there another team being asked to do this year in and year out? I think it absolutely has hamstrung our team in years past. If a player gets hurt on the game before the pre-Thanksgiving Sunday he's pretty much guaranteed to miss three games. I know Jerry loves being on national TV but this crap is beating the hell out of his team. Someway some how we have to get out of that damn hamster wheel. It was especially unfair the year they played the Sunday night game at the Giants then the Eagles on Thanksgiving.. They got back from NYC at like 4 am.. then had practice at like 10 or 11 that day. Wanna venture a guess how guys bodies felt during that practice?
The only thing that’s changed in recent years is we follow up our Turkey tradition with a Thursday night game the following week.

So , instead of the additional time off after Thanksgiving like we always had we now get the additional time a week later.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They've had worse, 3 games in 11 days. The NFL scheduler is wonky. One season, DEN had 3 games in a row, 2 on the road, against teams coming off their bye.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ya, I totally feel bad for all of these millionaires. Poor things...

I think you missed the point.. I don't feel bad for any of them.. I feel bad that we as fans of the Dallas Cowboys have to watch a compromised team down the stretch of the season year after year. Playing three games in that short of a time span takes a toll on the team. On their bodies, on their minds.. all of it. The season is already a grind and this scheduling makes it worse. I don't care about their paychecks.. I care that they are in peak physical shape to compete.. because that's the part I get to enjoy watching. They have never televised any of them picking up his paycheck.. and nobody would watch anyway..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The only thing that’s changed in recent years is we follow up our Turkey tradition with a Thursday night game the following week.

So , instead of the additional time off after Thanksgiving like we always had we now get the additional time a week later.

Yes you get the additional time off a week later but it also follows a schedule that has beaten up your body to a much greater degree than the previous schedule did. So I would counter that the 10 days holds less meaning in mid December than it did in late November. The damage is already done. It's like going to the doctor when you first start to feel bad versus when you are on death's door. If you go right when you start to feel bad he prescribes you some medicine and you get back good as new.. If you wait too long he sneaks outside after examining you and tells your family to start making funeral arrangements.. Yeah I know an extreme example but I trust you get my point..

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this sucks? This team plays a late game on the road followed by a home game less than 4 days later.. then another game on the road 7 days hence. 3 games in a 12 day span, two on the road. I'm sorry but that is absolute garbage. Is there another team being asked to do this year in and year out? I think it absolutely has hamstrung our team in years past. If a player gets hurt on the game before the pre-Thanksgiving Sunday he's pretty much guaranteed to miss three games. I know Jerry loves being on national TV but this crap is beating the hell out of his team. Someway some how we have to get out of that damn hamster wheel. It was especially unfair the year they played the Sunday night game at the Giants then the Eagles on Thanksgiving.. They got back from NYC at like 4 am.. then had practice at like 10 or 11 that day. Wanna venture a guess how guys bodies felt during that practice?

First this is only the 2nd year that the Cowboys play a away, home and away during that stretch. Most years they played away, home and home. Second it's just as hard on the teams that play away on a Sunday and then away again the next Thursday night. We as Cowboys fans got spoiled when for years after the turkeyday game having 10 days off before the next game. But it does seem a little unfair that they play 3 games in 12 days. I do remember that happening during the preseason a couple of years.

foofighters

Reaction score
I think you missed the point.. I don't feel bad for any of them.. I feel bad that we as fans of the Dallas Cowboys have to watch a compromised team down the stretch of the season year after year. Playing three games in that short of a time span takes a toll on the team. On their bodies, on their minds.. all of it. The season is already a grind and this scheduling makes it worse. I don't care about their paychecks.. I care that they are in peak physical shape to compete.. because that's the part I get to enjoy watching. They have never televised any of them picking up his paycheck.. and nobody would watch anyway..
I don't care. It's the challenge that's put before them. It's like life. We all face different challenges; fair or unfair. Winners simply overcome.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They done this for what, 4 years now, maybe 5.
Used to get the 10 days break, but now this. However after the 3 games, then get a 10 day break. Kind of like it, as that break comes later now, right before playoff push time.
Not that we need to be concerned with the playoffs.
It does kind of suck but yet really not so bad. Nothing to really complain about, however it would be nice to have 2 of the 3 at home. It is what it is.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I don’t know what the fuss is about. Seeing the red rifle 3 times in 12 days! Where do I sign?

Brax

Reaction score
If it comes after a late running road game where you done get back into your bed at home until the wee hours Monday it absolutely is a disadvantage. Then having to turn around and play another night game on the road a week later? It's a huge negative no matter how you slice it.
181341f3b92720bddb6d05797c785248--conspiracy-theories-what-if.jpg

The NFL is out to get the Cowboys......

John813

Reaction score
McCarthy is going to forfeit the games over the mental anguish it could cause the players.

HanD

Reaction score
it's a potential benefit in some ways.
-wft has to travel on a short week so that balances out coming from a road game to thanksgiving.
-we have 10 days between 2 road games instead of a 1 week turnaround for the ravens and bengals.

JayFord

Reaction score
I dont like Thanksgiving games and it all started in 1998

RonnieT24

Reaction score
First this is only the 2nd year that the Cowboys play a away, home and away during that stretch. Most years they played away, home and home. Second it's just as hard on the teams that play away on a Sunday and then away again the next Thursday night. We as Cowboys fans got spoiled when for years after the turkeyday game having 10 days off before the next game. But it does seem a little unfair that they play 3 games in 12 days. I do remember that happening during the preseason a couple of years.

No it's not..

2014 @Giants, home Eagles, @ Bears (Thursday)
2015 @Miami, home Panthers, @washington (Monday nighter)
2016 home Ravens, home Skins, @Minny (Thursday)
2017 @ATL, home Chargers, @Skins (Thursday)
2018 @ATL, home Skins, home Saints (Thursday)
2019 @Patriots, home Bills, @Bears (Thursday)
2020 @Minny, home Skins, @Ravens (Thurdsay)

So this will mark the 4th time in the last 6 years that they've done this to the Cowboys.. Yes it's unfair and I hate that the league keeps doing this to my favorite team. I would have no complaints if they did it to other teams.. But they don't. Yes one other team will have to do it every year to be our opponent.. But even that opponent will usually not have played on Thanksgiving. Though this year I think the Ravens actually will play Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving night..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nobody is making us watch people. If you don't like the way the game is being managed, then don't watch. Just whatever you do, stop crying about it. It's been going on for literally years.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No it's not..

2014 @Giants, home Eagles, @ Bears (Thursday)
2015 @Miami, home Panthers, @washington (Monday nighter)
2016 home Ravens, home Skins, @Minny (Thursday)
2017 @ATL, home Chargers, @Skins (Thursday)
2018 @ATL, home Skins, home Saints (Thursday)
2019 @Patriots, home Bills, @Bears (Thursday)
2020 @Minny, home Skins, @Ravens (Thurdsay)

So this will mark the 4th time in the last 6 years that they've done this to the Cowboys.. Yes it's unfair and I hate that the league keeps doing this to my favorite team. I would have no complaints if they did it to other teams.. But they don't. Yes one other team will have to do it every year to be our opponent.. But even that opponent will usually not have played on Thanksgiving. Though this year I think the Ravens actually will play Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving night..

You're right the ravens are at home this week and then on the road for turkeyday and then back home the following week against the Cowboys. Also you really can't count 2015 because they had 11 days off before they played the skins. Also 2017 you have the wrong games and all three games were home games. Home eagles, home chargers and home skins according to the Cowboys own site. 2018 the second two games were at home. The point I was making is that there have only been a couple times that both the game before turkeyday and the game after turkey day on Thursday were road games. Again I don't agree to doing that but on the other side after that 3rd game the Cowboys get 10 days off.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Nobody is making us watch people. If you don't like the way the game is being managed, then don't watch. Just whatever you do, stop crying about it. It's been going on for literally years.

So are you going to follow your own advice when complaining about players who you think are making too much money and/or not performing up to the level you have established for them?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So are you going to follow your own advice when complaining about players who you think are making too much money and/or not performing up to the level you have established for them?

Follow my own advice, absolutely. The minute any of those players get a contract signed that stipulates they only play on Thanksgiving and then, they play like crap, or some such, I'll get right on that.

Don't talk, you just hurt the team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Before they started this thing the Cowboys did indeed get a home game before Thanksgiving then home on Thanksgiving then the 10 day break before the next game. Typically they won like 80% of those games. Never mind that they won like 80% of all their games but I digress. Oldsters like me will recall that in the early 80's the jealous owners claimed it was too big of an advantage for the Cowboys and demanded it be rotated. So for a couple of years the NFL rotated other teams in.. and the ratings went into the toilet. At the behest of the networks, the NFL came back, hat in hand to the Cowboys and put the Cowboys back on Thanksgiving with the promise never to try that crap again. When the NFL started the "everybody plays Thursday nights" crapola the teams that played on Thanksgiving were initially excluded. But that meant that NFL network, who initially was the sole owner and beneficiary of the Thursday night games, would not get to reap the ratings benefits from its most popular franchise. So it only took a couple of years before the NFL got Jerry to agree to the Thursday - Thursday schedule after Thanksgiving.. If I was Jerry, I would go to the NFL and tell them to stick it up their arses. If they want the Cowboys on a Thursday then make it opening night but we aint playin no more of this 3 games in 11 or 12 days. If every team had to do it every year it would be one thing.. But the Lions play every Thanksgiving.. you ever see them having to do this crap? It compromises my team physically and competitively. Beat up on some other team like this.. The Steelers claim they are "The World's team" let them do it.

Your memory is much better than mine.