The time is right to switch to a 3-4 base

MajesticRey

Reaction score
They play a hybrid scheme now, where he lines up all over the front 7. You also would like to keep him as the mike linebacker in run situations. Quinn has already created a scheme around Parsons, now it's just adding to it.
This year SHOULD be much better defensively since:
  1. We’ve retained Quinn, so our players don’t have to learn a new scheme
  2. Quinn can continue to build out his defense around Parsons like you said via drafting (hopefully) DL, LB and S in that order
  3. Parsons and Diggs have more experience
Hopefully we can drop either DLAW or Gregory (I’d prefer just dropping one) to save cap space and have reliable depth.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Fake news....something that would set us back 4 years....taken that cheese once before. Get lost.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yes I know we play nickel most of the time, but I think going forward we need to be thinking how we can build the DEF around Parsons. To me, he primarily needs to line up as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme and that is the scheme we need for the next 10 years. I would like to see priority given to drafting an OLB on the other side along with a true Nose Tackle. I am assuming D-Law will not be back and if he does I don't have a lot of confidence he can hold up for a full season. Either way I am not holding back Parsons.

My question is what would the PATS do with someone like Parsons? they would build around him in a scheme best suited to his talents. His best skill his rushing the passer.

Urban (I would bring him back on a cheap deal), Basham come from this scheme and I want players signed who can slot in.

Other teams are now switching to the 3-4 (Raiders, Vikings) so it is very popular now and I know we are a hybrid DEF. But I think primarily we should be building a 3-4.
our run defense is leaky. with 3-4, it would be even leakier.

plus, we don't quite have the DL personnel for running the scheme. that would also mean we can't do much with Gregory. nor Lawrence.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Not interested in a 3-4 defense, been down that road already...

Yes Zimmer who is traditionally a 4-3 defensive coach was our DC during that road and we were the #1 ranked defense 1 of those years.

Got him his HC job.

Been down that road not long enough.

They put Ware back at DE after they changed the 3-4 then let him go to the Broncos to play in a 3-4 and win a Suoerbowl.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Does anyone remember what scheme Big Mike was using on defense when he won his Superbowl?

3-4.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Does anyone remember what scheme Big Mike was using on defense when he won his Superbowl?

3-4.

True but I think like most thing things evolve, what Quinn is doing is not the same defense he ran in Seattle that won a SB. Quinn has adjusted to more of a hybrid style of defense and I expect him to expand on that. Given the improvement on defense I think McCarthy gives him the freedom to put in what Quinn feels is best

Majic

Reaction score
Yes Zimmer who is traditionally a 4-3 defensive coach was our DC during that road and we were the #1 ranked defense 1 of those years.

Got him his HC job.

Been down that road not long enough.

They put Ware back at DE after they changed the 3-4 then let him go to the Broncos to play in a 3-4 and win a Suoerbowl.

Yeah, just crazy...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
our run defense is leaky. with 3-4, it would be even leakier.

plus, we don't quite have the DL personnel for running the scheme. that would also mean we can't do much with Gregory. nor Lawrence.
How so? My thoughts are Improving the run defense is probably the best reason to make the switch to a 3-4.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes I know we play nickel most of the time, but I think going forward we need to be thinking how we can build the DEF around Parsons. To me, he primarily needs to line up as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme and that is the scheme we need for the next 10 years. I would like to see priority given to drafting an OLB on the other side along with a true Nose Tackle. I am assuming D-Law will not be back and if he does I don't have a lot of confidence he can hold up for a full season. Either way I am not holding back Parsons.

My question is what would the PATS do with someone like Parsons? they would build around him in a scheme best suited to his talents. His best skill his rushing the passer.

Urban (I would bring him back on a cheap deal), Basham come from this scheme and I want players signed who can slot in.

Other teams are now switching to the 3-4 (Raiders, Vikings) so it is very popular now and I know we are a hybrid DEF. But I think primarily we should be building a 3-4.

- Aah, the feeling I get with some fans is that they want a copy cat plan and prototype that they see with certain NFL teams.
Ala Steelers, Ravens, both very long time traditional 3-4 oriented schemes.

- Raiders are switching to the 3-4 scheme,.. based off what the new HC (Josh Daniels) was used to and convinced in his NE days.
Just as Jon Gruden was convinced and set with the 4-3 based off his days under the Rod Marinelli/Monte Kiffin Bucs era ..

- The beauty of Parsons here under Quinn, is he used and moved around so much more effectively and efficiently that he’s is not being lined up full time
and worn down on a 330 lb OT, that reserves energy and lessen pounding wear toll on him

- Plus with how Quinn is moving him around to where Parsons is always squeezed coming up the middle gut vs RBs, to which most cannot handle him.
And i don't see Watt, Juda or Von Miller slicing up the middle gut the way Quinn has Parsons doing. o_O

nobody

Reaction score
I am hesitant of the idea to build a defense around 1 player, to change a scheme for that 1 player, and thus draft based on that 1 player...because what if you lose that player due to injury or free agency a couple of years down the road. How much then are you invested in that with your linchpin missing?

And to suggest a scheme change when the defense is looking better and has only had 1 season to right the ship? Imagine what it will look like after more tweaking.

Pass on switching to the 3-4.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
My big opposition to making a change for parsons is that he is such a great player I’m not sure scheme matters. 4-3, 3-4, who cares? Dude is a football player and you can have him rush the passer from all over the field.

I can see an argument to make a change but I’m not sure parsons is a reasonable argument.

Majic

Reaction score
I am hesitant of the idea to build a defense around 1 player, to change a scheme for that 1 player, and thus draft based on that 1 player...because what if you lose that player due to injury or free agency a couple of years down the road. How much then are you invested in that with your linchpin missing?

And to suggest a scheme change when the defense is looking better and has only had 1 season to right the ship? Imagine what it will look like after more tweaking.

Pass on switching to the 3-4.

But I think more 3-4 looks which if executed correctly will improve our run defense is the way forward

nobody

Reaction score
But I think more 3-4 looks which if executed correctly will improve our run defense is the way forward

You can improve a run defense without changing a whole scheme and basing around one player. You can do it with a lot less changes and investment too. That's like getting a new car because the alternator went out on your car.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

and the same can be said for the 4-3. It comes down to personnel and execution of the players. Dallas has went down the 3-4 before and did not work out so great. I think what Quinn is doing will continue to produce for the defense. I really do not see him going to traditional 4-3 or 3-4.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How so? My thoughts are Improving the run defense is probably the best reason to make the switch to a 3-4.
the 3-4 is more susiptble to runs because they become a little smaller up front (although quicker). you would need a massive DT in the middle, not necessarily to rush and break the pocket, but to hold up the center of the DL. your DEs need to be 3-4 type DE that can line up against guard tackle on the indside as opposed to lining up against tackles on the outside shoulder. they need to be big and fast. and none of the ones we have are 34 defensive linemen. its not simply taking a 4-3 DT and turning them into a 34 DE. perhaps Osa would fit that mold, but none of the others. Lawrence is too small to play DE in a 3-4 consistently and he didn't like playing as a standup OLB (Ellis way back when had similar issues). then we would need to inside LBs who are bigger and more physical as their job would be to take on the guard or centers and be able to play run defense, of which we really have none, although LVE is bigger, he plays soft. then the two OLBs, gregory maybe able to play one OLB, on the left side since that's where he is comfortable and primary job would be to rush the passer. the other side might be Parsons, so it would make him into a Von Miller role rushing from that side.

the transition to a 3-4 is at least a two year process.

also don't forget, Quinn is a 4-3 coach, although he runs some hybrids.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I think we should stay with our current format. We made good progress as a defense last year and see no need to overhaul by getting a bunch of different players to run a new scheme. Most of these defenses are more hybrid approaches anyway across 4-3, 3-4, and Nickle.