The time is right to switch to a 3-4 base

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't have a straight cut and dried answer but can appreciate the OP's intent upon building around Parsons as the centerpiece.

As others have commented, Quinn did a "decent" job of moving him around last year. As long as Quinn continues to maximize his abilities as a QB chaser I am okay with whatever base title the defense is given.

Another thing to watch this year is Micah getting more holding calls that he was robbed of last year simply because of him being a rookie and the refs not giving him his due. Now that he is NFL established, I believe he will be the benefactor of more calls going his way.

The All-22 showed the kid getting blatantly mugged on a majority of pass rush situations throughout the entire year.

"Hopefully" those calls will go his way beginning next year.

jmo

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Build the scheme around Parsons.
Incredibly it wasn't until Week 3 we seem to realise he could play off the edge full=time if needed
Which supports the argument that now we know Micah can play a devastating edge rush we have a whole offseason devising the different ways to use him. Good luck to the OC that can set a plan to deal with him coming from the edge or LB and then occasionally used purely as a decoy.
When you've got a prince with so many talents why restrict him?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We don't have the MLBs or the NT for a 3-4 and I don't trust Jerry and company to be able to patch those holes quickly enough. Jerry and Stephen seem to hate big fat tackles, even when we had a 3-4.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Fake news....something that would set us back 4 years....taken that cheese once before. Get lost.

We had defenses better than we have now with the 3-4 and far far far worse defenses while having a 4-3. I would say the 4-3 actually destroyed our 2013 season and outside of turnovers, it wasn't great in 2014 either. Ruined our chances of a Super Bowl run in Romo's final years.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This year SHOULD be much better defensively since:
  1. We’ve retained Quinn, so our players don’t have to learn a new scheme
  2. Quinn can continue to build out his defense around Parsons like you said via drafting (hopefully) DL, LB and S in that order
  3. Parsons and Diggs have more experience
Hopefully we can drop either DLAW or Gregory (I’d prefer just dropping one) to save cap space and have reliable depth.
Influx on talent like Joseph, Cox and hopefully a 2nd yr jump for players like Osa/Golston.

quickccc

Reaction score
Influx on talent like Joseph, Cox and hopefully a 2nd yr jump for players like Osa/Golston.

i dunno where 3rd pick draftee CB Wright ends up - he got just a very small snip bit of playing time in big blowout wins vs NFC East teams, but
i just dunno how he projects into a greater role, with most hopeful anticipation consideration going towards Joseph.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Yes I know we play nickel most of the time, but I think going forward we need to be thinking how we can build the DEF around Parsons. To me, he primarily needs to line up as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme and that is the scheme we need for the next 10 years. I would like to see priority given to drafting an OLB on the other side along with a true Nose Tackle. I am assuming D-Law will not be back and if he does I don't have a lot of confidence he can hold up for a full season. Either way I am not holding back Parsons.

My question is what would the PATS do with someone like Parsons? they would build around him in a scheme best suited to his talents. His best skill his rushing the passer.

Urban (I would bring him back on a cheap deal), Basham come from this scheme and I want players signed who can slot in.

Other teams are now switching to the 3-4 (Raiders, Vikings) so it is very popular now and I know we are a hybrid DEF. But I think primarily we should be building a 3-4.
Mike Nolan, is that you?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
you guys think Jabril Cox will be a difference maker? Give your honest opinion

Hard to say, I like the guy and think he can develop into a very good player but injury cut his season short soon after getting more snaps.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not sure difference maker is the term I would use, but in limited action last year I think he at least showed he has the traits to play in the league. Need to secure a good backup option this offseason, but I have 0 concerns penciling him into a role for 2022. Seems like a high floor type player who worst case should be able to contribute situationally and special teams, i'm just not sure where the ceiling is on him though.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think Jabril is exactly the counter Parsons needs, He is great in coverage which frees #11 to get after the QB. He is fast enough to clean up plays that Parsons attacks. If he can stay healthy i think it will work great.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i dunno where 3rd pick draftee CB Wright ends up - he got just a very small snip bit of playing time in big blowout wins vs NFC East teams, but
i just dunno how he projects into a greater role, with most hopeful anticipation consideration going towards Joseph.
What we do know is, he was handpicked by Quinn. He might have a future as the team's #3 down the line when Brown/Lewis are off the roster.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Why pigeon hole Parsons? Continue using him as a chess piece based on matchups every week
I was in favor of him just being a pass rusher but Parsons said himself he considers himself a chest piece. The Vikings game he was strictly a middle linebacker and played like Ray Lewis in his prime. Then you watch him rush the passer from edge and notice how he changes the game. The Cowboys hit a home run with this one.

quickccc

Reaction score

I'd first have to see how Cox recovers from that ACL injury. Head of schedule ... or behind schedule, slow recovery.
It may varies among players.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
I think Jabril is exactly the counter Parsons needs, He is great in coverage which frees #11 to get after the QB. He is fast enough to clean up plays that Parsons attacks. If he can stay healthy i think it will work great.
If this is true then LB isn’t as high of a priority in the draft.