The Torry Holt rumor keeps swirling in the back of my mind

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I know it probably wont happen. But still...

The Rams are terrible. TERRIBLE. Torry Holt is also 30. The Rams are rebuilding and need draft picks far more than Torry Holt.

We are clearly a Super Bowl contender. We have a potent offense. We picked up extra draft picks for this upcoming draft last year. I cant remember exactly what they are, but I think we got Det's 3rd and Clevelands 4th. Plus some comp picks. I cant remember what we traded to move up to get Scandrick.

But what if we offer a 3rd and 6th for Holt? I think thats pretty fair value. The Rams get picks to build around/ move up in next years draft, and we get another #1 receiver. Holt is one of the leagues best route runners, has sure hands, and still has a pretty good top gear and could be a legit deep threat.

I know it wont happen, but the thought just keeps running through my head. If the Rams keep getting blown out and Linehan gets fired, then posisbly ownership just simply scraps this year and builds for the future. He is a perfect match in this offsense. Ok I must stop now I'm drifting off into fantasy land.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I'm just not sure how much gas Holt has left in the tank. He has looked like a shell of his former self. I wouldn't give anything more than a conditional 6th rounder for him at this point.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Eskimo;2274021 said:
I'm just not sure how much gas Holt has left in the tank. He has looked like a shell of his former self. I wouldn't give anything more than a conditional 6th rounder for him at this point.

Well he doesnt look like his old self thats for sure. But neither did Randy Moss in Oakland. I'd say that turned out pretty well for NE

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Holt does seem to be a few steps slower. I think a change of scenery would do him wonders, especially here in Big D.

The wear and tear of being a Ram the last few years is obviously getting to the guy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If we got Torry Holt everyone would be screwed if they aren't already.

Eskimo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274031 said:
Well he doesnt look like his old self thats for sure. But neither did Randy Moss in Oakland. I'd say that turned out pretty well for NE

With Moss, it was an attitude thing. He still had the ability, he just didn't want to play in Oakland anymore with those QBs.

I don't think it is quite the same thing with Holt. He played a speed/quickness game and his ability to get separation looks like it is gone.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CATCH17;2274040 said:
If we got Torry Holt everyone would be screwed if they aren't already.

I'd take him in the hopes he could be the #2 we are searching for. I just wouldn't give up much for him. I'd give them a 6th rounder, upgrade to a 4th if he gives us 1000 yards on a prorated basis for the rest of the year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He would be a phenomenal #2. He couldn't have lost much he's only thirty. He's also keyed on because he is the #1 there and there are no other real threats in the passing game to take the pressure off. With TO and Witten drawing tons of attention, he could get open.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Eskimo;2274049 said:
I'd take him in the hopes he could be the #2 we are searching for. I just wouldn't give up much for him. I'd give them a 6th rounder, upgrade to a 4th if he gives us 1000 yards on a prorated basis for the rest of the year.

I'd give them just about anything they want.

If we could get 5 good years out of him at the positions in the draft we'll most likely be picking than I think its worth it.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CATCH17;2274060 said:
I'd give them just about anything they want.

If we could get 5 good years out of him at the positions in the draft we'll most likely be picking than I think its worth it.

So if they asked for 3 first rounders, you would give it to them? Ridiculous statement.

You expect 5 more years of a 32-year old player who is showing signs of losing it? When WRs begin to lose it, it seems like they can lose it fast. Again, a ridiculous statement.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
yeah i agree the source was horrible though, it makes alot more sense for both teams than any of the other trades that were discussed .

Eskimo

Reaction score
Ren;2274073 said:
Doesn't Holt have a bad knee?

He had knee surgery in 2007 - the word was that he was having pain and swelling even months after the surgery and there were concerns that it is degnerative.

Yeah, so let's give up a bunch of high draft picks for him. We all know how well speed receivers in their 30s with degenerative knees can play 5 more years.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Eskimo;2274072 said:
So if they asked for 3 first rounders, you would give it to them? Ridiculous statement.

You expect 5 more years of a 32-year old player who is showing signs of losing it? When WRs begin to lose it, it seems like they can lose it fast. Again, a ridiculous statement.

First off im sorry I needed to be so technical for you.
:rolleyes:

2nd I didn't know he was 32. I cant believe hes been in the league this long.

Even at 32 i'd still give them a 2nd.

Eskimo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274031 said:

Also remember that the Pats got Moss for a 4th rounder.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Eskimo;2274044 said:
With Moss, it was an attitude thing. He still had the ability, he just didn't want to play in Oakland anymore with those QBs.

I don't think it is quite the same thing with Holt. He played a speed/quickness game and his ability to get separation looks like it is gone.

There are reports the team has quit on Linehan and if that is true, it is literally the exact same scneario as in Oakland.

Moss put up 60 catches, for 1005 yards and 8 TD's in 2005 w/ Oak. Not bad numbers at all.
In 2006 (the disaster w/ Art Shell) he put up 42 catches for 553 and 3 TD's.

Torry Holt caught 90 balls for 1189 yards and 9 TD's last year. Not bad numbers at all.

But so far this disastrous year he has 7 catches for 85 yards and a TD. Which would span out to 56 catches for 680 yards and 8 TD's.

I dont think Holt is done just yet. It's amazing what a losing attitude in a locker room will do to talent. Leonard Davis, Randy Moss, etc. Winning cures everything. And he may put us over the hump come January when we have struggled.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CATCH17;2274085 said:
First off im sorry I needed to be so technical for you.
:rolleyes:

2nd I didn't know he was 32. I cant believe hes been in the league this long.

Even at 32 i'd still give them a 2nd.

So you'd give a 2nd rounder for a 32-year old receiver with a bum knee who is showing a marked decrease in his level of play?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Eskimo;2274098 said:
So you'd give a 2nd rounder for a 32-year old receiver with a bum knee who is showing a marked decrease in his level of play?

He produced last year and this year I haven't seen them enough to know exactly what he has in the tank.

Eskimo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274095 said:
There are reports the team has quit on Linehan and if that is true, it is literally the exact same scneario as in Oakland.

Moss put up 60 catches, for 1005 yards and 8 TD's in 2005 w/ Oak. Not bad numbers at all.
In 2006 (the disaster w/ Art Shell) he put up 42 catches for 553 and 3 TD's.

Torry Holt caught 90 balls for 1889 yards and 9 TD's last year. Not bad numbers at all.

But so far this disastrous year he has 7 catches for 85 yards and a TD. Which would span out to 56 catches for 680 yards and 8 TD's.

I dont think Holt is done just yet. It's amazing what a losing attitude in a locker room will do to talent. Leonard Davis, Randy Moss, etc. Winning cures everything. And he may put us over the hump come January when we have struggled.

You have your facts wrong. He put up 1189 yards for only a 12.8 ypc on a terrible team facing prevent defenses much of the year. He is in serious decline right now.

I'd give them a low pick which could be higher depending on level of performance because I'm not convinced he has got it anymore. It has been 4 years since he broke 13 ypc.