The Torry Holt rumor keeps swirling in the back of my mind

Eskimo

Reaction score
CATCH17;2274101 said:
He produced last year and this year I haven't seen them enough to know exactly what he has in the tank.

I don't think his skills are what you remember them to be anymore.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
CATCH17;2274101 said:
He produced last year and this year I haven't seen them enough to know exactly what he has in the tank.

Even if a car has a full tank of gas, it isnt going to run very well when the spark plugs, pistons, and the rest of your components around you aren't working.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274107 said:
Even if a car has a full tank of gas, it isnt going to run very well when the spark plugs, pistons, and the rest of your components around you aren't working.

Exactly.

I know when guys like Torry Holt come to Dallas they seem to get it again and put themselves in a position to succeed the best way they can.

Holt is one of the better route runners in the league.

He relies more on his crafty abilities than he does his speed. Great hands too.

I haven't seen him at all this year but if our scouts think he is still a bigtime player than a team like Dallas can afford to overpay a little for him.

I wouldn't give up a 1st for him though. (I thought he was 30 and not 32)

Definetely a 2nd if all is well.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Eskimo;2274104 said:
You have your facts wrong. He put up 1189 yards for only a 12.8 ypc on a terrible team facing prevent defenses much of the year. He is in serious decline right now.

I'd give them a low pick which could be higher depending on level of performance because I'm not convinced he has got it anymore. It has been 4 years since he broke 13 ypc.

Yeah I had a typo and put 1889, which would have been incredible. My fault

And sorry, but where are you getting the fact that they played against a prevent defense last year? And if that is indeed your point, trying to catch passes against a defense that is not looking for the run, and only purpose is to stop the pass, is not exactly an easy thing to do.

The team had injuries wipe out pretty much their entire offensive line. Oh and btw, his starting QB and RB missed a combined 8 games. When you consider the circumstances, he actually had a productive year last year.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Eskimo;2274021 said:
I'm just not sure how much gas Holt has left in the tank. He has looked like a shell of his former self. I wouldn't give anything more than a conditional 6th rounder for him at this point.

:starspin I also wonder how much gas he has left in the tank, and at his age, I doubt he would be able to play for us for any length of time. Unless we got him for a great price, I say we pass on him.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Da Hammer;2274130 said:
really a great option for a #2 receiver. he seems to be exactly what we need

While I would rather have Roy Williams or Boldin, I would take a chance on a one year deal. For the most part, Jerry's "chances" have been paying off.

sbark

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274107 said:

Contract level to absorb.....physical......conditional 6

degenerative knee.......lets see T.Glenn took up a roster spot for a year with a similar condition........Jerry could have him sign a injury settlement (like a pre-nup) up front:eek::

Eskimo

Reaction score
BlueStar II;2274126 said:
:starspin I also wonder how much gas he has left in the tank, and at his age, I doubt he would be able to play for us for any length of time. Unless we got him for a great price, I say we pass on him.

6th rounder upgradeable to a 4th is the most I would pay for this rent-a-player.

Eskimo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274124 said:
Yeah I had a typo and put 1889, which would have been incredible. My fault

And sorry, but where are you getting the fact that they played against a prevent defense last year? And if that is indeed your point, trying to catch passes against a defense that is not looking for the run, and only purpose is to stop the pass, is not exactly an easy thing to do.

The team had injuries wipe out pretty much their entire offensive line. Oh and btw, his starting QB and RB missed a combined 8 games. When you consider the circumstances, he actually had a productive year last year.

I saw him try to chase down a deep ball against a snoozing Hawks defense - he has no burst left anymore.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Eskimo;2274255 said:
I saw him try to chase down a deep ball against a snoozing Hawks defense - he has no burst left anymore.

Oh you mean the game that they lost 37-13?

This is my whole point. I dont think you can accurately depict what he has left when he's playing for a team this bad. I think my Randy Moss comparison is as sound as there is.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
when is this place going to stop daydreaming about other players wr.

We have a ton of draft picks next year. We have clevelands 3 I believe, and we have an extra 4.

That cleveland pick might end up being like a 2.

Lets just be happy with our team and continue building around young players.

Eskimo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274309 said:
Oh you mean the game that they lost 37-13?

This is my whole point. I dont think you can accurately depict what he has left when he's playing for a team this bad. I think my Randy Moss comparison is as sound as there is.

Yes, and the Pats got Moss for a 4th rounder and Holt is not the same type of threat as Moss is.

I also think Holt has got a bum knee and has lost his burst whereas Moss was healthy but discontent and had a bad attitude that was affecting his play. The same is probably not true of Holt - his physical skills are in rapid decline, IMO. I would not pay a premium to see if we can revive him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
theebs;2274310 said:
when is this place going to stop daydreaming about other players wr.

We have a ton of draft picks next year. We have clevelands 3 I believe, and we have an extra 4.

That cleveland pick might end up being like a 2.

Lets just be happy with our team and continue building around young players.

Exactly, you don't give up premium picks for ageing vets in rapid decline.

Based on what I've seen the first few weeks from Miles and Stanback, I'm not really in that much of a hurry to find a vet. I think the kids can provide us the deep threat we need if given a bit of time - especially Austin.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274018 said:
I know it probably wont happen. But still...

The Rams are terrible. TERRIBLE. Torry Holt is also 30. The Rams are rebuilding and need draft picks far more than Torry Holt.

We are clearly a Super Bowl contender. We have a potent offense. We picked up extra draft picks for this upcoming draft last year. I cant remember exactly what they are, but I think we got Det's 3rd and Clevelands 4th. Plus some comp picks. I cant remember what we traded to move up to get Scandrick.

But what if we offer a 3rd and 6th for Holt? I think thats pretty fair value. The Rams get picks to build around/ move up in next years draft, and we get another #1 receiver. Holt is one of the leagues best route runners, has sure hands, and still has a pretty good top gear and could be a legit deep threat.

I know it wont happen, but the thought just keeps running through my head. If the Rams keep getting blown out and Linehan gets fired, then posisbly ownership just simply scraps this year and builds for the future. He is a perfect match in this offsense. Ok I must stop now I'm drifting off into fantasy land.

what torry holt rumors??????

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
dbair1967;2274357 said:
the one he made up in his pretend world so he could start this thread.

Not quite. A thread was posted about Holt wanting out and as always Dallas was a suitor. Nice try though.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2274395 said:
Not quite. A thread was posted about Holt wanting out and as always Dallas was a suitor. Nice try though.

ok, so basically your starting a thread about a bogus rumor somebody else started.

I've never seen one legit "rumor" about us even thinking about getting Holt, much less actually making calls etc etc. The Dallas media, ESPN and FOX Sports would be all over this dont you think?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Eskimo;2274321 said:
Exactly, you don't give up premium picks for ageing vets in rapid decline.

Based on what I've seen the first few weeks from Miles and Stanback, I'm not really in that much of a hurry to find a vet. I think the kids can provide us the deep threat we need if given a bit of time - especially Austin.

Premium picks? Premium? I suggested a 3rd and 6th. Even that was just a rough idea thrown out there. We have an extra 3rd and a late 2nd day 6th round pick is premium? Hmm ok.

And I'd rather take the 2-3 years Holt has left than take another 2-3 years to develop Austin and Stanback...who neither will ever be even close to the receiver Torry Holt is.

I'm sure the Pats were really willing to groom Chad Jackson and Jabar Gaffney then take a chance on Randy Moss. :rolleyes: