The trade netted a 3rd and 3M on the contract

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As far as trading up in the first two rounds, how do we know they didn't explore that? This draft was not a good one with top level D talent so if you are a team in need of CB's, you either took one of two or the injury risk because there was little DL 1st round talent.

Couple this with the fact there are newborn babies that were aware of the Cowboys glaring need and who's not going to take advantage of that? What do we think CAR and DEN wanted for that pick? The 1 and 2? Are Horn or Surtain worth a 1 and 2 on a team needing multiple players on D?

I think the Cowboys should have gotten PHL's 2nd, not their 3rd because in that case, you throw the market scale out the window, they had to have that player and they knew the Giants were cruising for him.

Barmore and Mohring, that's different but the Cowboys FO did not have the same value on those players as we did and I can tell you Barmore disappeared a lot at Bama.

All of this trade up talk is based on your value chart on the prospects, you really have no idea where they had them on their value chart based on Quinn's needs. One of the reasons they hired Quinn was he comes in with a lot of capital with Booger & Son and they're going to take advantage of that. Want the ultimate in accountability? Give someone what they want.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im sayin after the philly offer i would have called the giants to see how bad they wanted smith lol
There wasn't a great deal of time and we don't know what other calls might have been coming into the Cowboys. And they knew the pick, it was Smith with either team so which team do they want him on within the division. The Giants are a lot closer to winning the East than the Eagles. And they have a better QB.

I do think the Giants will have a little something extra when they play the Cowboys as I am not aware of anything like that in any other modern draft. The guys on ESPN had to look twice at the team Dallas had traded with and couldn't hide their shock. I was right there with them.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There wasn't a great deal of time and we don't know what other calls might have been coming into the Cowboys. And they knew the pick, it was Smith with either team so which team do they want him on within the division. The Giants are a lot closer to winning the East than the Eagles. And they have a better QB.

I do think the Giants will have a little something extra when they play the Cowboys as I am not aware of anything like that in any other modern draft. The guys on ESPN had to look twice at the team Dallas had traded with and couldn't hide their shock. I was right there with them.
Didn’t the Cowboys trade with the Giants last year to get Tyler Biadiasz?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Don't miss by much? The contracts have very little room for negotiation. Look at the previous year's 4-year total and add a couple percent, and you wouldn't miss by much.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t the Cowboys trade with the Giants last year to get Tyler Biadiasz?
Not like this, this was 1st round with 3 division rivals in a row, which in itself is unusual. Trading later in the draft with division teams isn't unusual but in the top 12? I've not see anything like it before.

When they did it, I immediately assumed they were checking out on Parsons after losing Horn and Surtain. I actually thought they'd trade again with NE and they might have done it until that CHI trade. NE felt good about Jones being theirs after that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not like this, this was 1st round with 3 division rivals in a row, which in itself is unusual. Trading later in the draft with division teams isn't unusual but in the top 12? I've not see anything like it before.

When they did it, I immediately assumed they were checking out on Parsons after losing Horn and Surtain. I actually thought they'd trade again with NE and they might have done it until that CHI trade. NE felt good about Jones being theirs after that.
Oh ok because I Was gonna say I think the NFC East has a history of trading with each other. If I'm not mistaken I think we got Anthony Spencer and Sean Lee dealing with the Giants.

But like this specifically? No. This was are for sure. Especially in the 1st round.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"Our guy" was obviously not their guy because they were within reach of the 4 of the 5 most talked about D players, Horn, Surtain, Barmore, Mohring and they took Parsons.

It's funny to watch us get to that point. Our mock is their draft, when does that ever work out? It doesn't even come close.

You recall all of the angst over taking Yosemite. Few stopped to actually look at the pick and what was behind it, it was just the wrong pick. Well, it wasn't and he was picked even higher in the re-drafts I saw.

I do not think most of us really consider just how far out of it the GM is in terms of knowledge of these players. He is 100% dependent on the scouting and only cares about name players in the interview process. All that fist bumping going on in the conference room, I am not calling that a war room, he was clueless what he was celebrating. However, I was a clueless why they were celebrating.
I’d argue our guys were their guys in Surtain and Horn. And it appears they were taken aback when they both went right in front of them.

And if you watch other War Rooms they fist pump, high five and celebrate as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It was unusual . But I bet Egirls were afraid Jints were going to take their receiver and why they moved up.

And it’s not much of stretch to believe that once our CB’s were gone we were willing to trade down only because we figured Jints would take trade with Bears. The only way they could have known Bears were willing to move up in that position was Bears called the Cowboys.

Otherwise Cowboys would be risking Jints taking Parsons right ahead of them as they were on their board as well.

I suspect getting the additional 1st round pick was too much for the Jints to pass up. And Parsons was there. But it wasn’t a cinch until they made the trade with Bears.

Jints figured if both of their picks were gone it didn’t matter moving down to #20 and take the extra picks. As most teams live for more than one season at a time like we do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As far as trading up in the first two rounds, how do we know they didn't explore that? This draft was not a good one with top level D talent so if you are a team in need of CB's, you either took one of two or the injury risk because there was little DL 1st round talent.

Couple this with the fact there are newborn babies that were aware of the Cowboys glaring need and who's not going to take advantage of that? What do we think CAR and DEN wanted for that pick? The 1 and 2? Are Horn or Surtain worth a 1 and 2 on a team needing multiple players on D?

I think the Cowboys should have gotten PHL's 2nd, not their 3rd because in that case, you throw the market scale out the window, they had to have that player and they knew the Giants were cruising for him.

Barmore and Mohring, that's different but the Cowboys FO did not have the same value on those players as we did and I can tell you Barmore disappeared a lot at Bama.

All of this trade up talk is based on your value chart on the prospects, you really have no idea where they had them on their value chart based on Quinn's needs. One of the reasons they hired Quinn was he comes in with a lot of capital with Booger & Son and they're going to take advantage of that. Want the ultimate in accountability? Give someone what they want.
I think we believed one of our CB’s were going to be there. I certainly did. Even as it unfolded . My hunch is they were just as startled as I was Horn and Surtain went in consecutive picks right in front of us.

And by the time the dust settles and they changed their drawers the phone was ringing from Egirls and who knows who else.

Personally much like probably them they didn’t think they’d need to trade up to get Surtain or Horn. Me and my close friends certainly didn’t. It wasn’t until the first one went we can begin to sweat it out.

And then after we rebounded with the trade salvaging with Parsons which was a decent move after the fact we felt certain we wouldn’t miss our Safety from TCU on Day 2. Especially having an extra 3rd round pick to barter with. But then we sat there chomping our bits again while Raiders swooped him right under us.

We ended up with decent picks but we didn’t either of the picks we wanted in first two rounds. And we could certainly argue they were both obtainable going only one pick in front of us.

Maybe if we hadn’t divulged so publicly what our intentions were other teams wouldn’t have maneuvered right in front of us. Not sure how much that played into it. But that was the buzz in my circle.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
So we would have had to pay Mac Jones about 10 million overall if we took him at 12.

What were you guys saying about cap management?
Dallas doesn't know how to build a defense. So it doesn't matter how much money they save, the defense will still be crap. They got six guys on defense that are worth keeping. And those six include the three drafted in the 2021 draft.

CWR

Reaction score
They definitely made the right move. After the corners i yelled at the tv for them to trade back. I was a little thrown off it was with philly and only netted a 3rd. But its aiight. I was hoping the pats wanted to move up for fields.

Yeah I thought we might trade down a second time when Fields was still there at 12. It irritated me the Pats still got a QB and didn't have to move up.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is just one agent's take but these guys don't miss by much as they sell their prospects and clients on the deal.

Agent's Take: 2021 NFL rookie contract projections for key Round 1 picks, plus a rookie wage scale explainer - CBSSports.com
I always love trades where you don't drop so far that you fall out of the player tier you're in.
Then you get a "free" draft pick unless you love someone in that tier way more than the rest.

In this case, they got the same player at 12 they would've at 10.....love it!

As for the 3 million....I assume that will be spent on the 3rd rounder.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I always love trades where you don't drop so far that you fall out of the player tier you're in.
Then you get a "free" draft pick unless you love someone in that tier way more than the rest.

In this case, they got the same player at 12 they would've at 10.....love it!

As for the 3 million....I assume that will be spent on the 3rd rounder.
Agreed !

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thrown off too, but a 3rd is a lot to move just 2 spots down! Nice to rob Philly also lol... they probably would have taken someone good in the 3rd.

Trades followed the draft value chart. We got almost exactly what the draft value chart said we should have got.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we believed one of our CB’s were going to be there. I certainly did. Even as it unfolded . My hunch is they were just as startled as I was Horn and Surtain went in consecutive picks right in front of us.

And by the time the dust settles and they changed their drawers the phone was ringing from Egirls and who knows who else.

Personally much like probably them they didn’t think they’d need to trade up to get Surtain or Horn. Me and my close friends certainly didn’t. It wasn’t until the first one went we can begin to sweat it out.

And then after we rebounded with the trade salvaging with Parsons which was a decent move after the fact we felt certain we wouldn’t miss our Safety from TCU on Day 2. Especially having an extra 3rd round pick to barter with. But then we sat there chomping our bits again while Raiders swooped him right under us.

We ended up with decent picks but we didn’t either of the picks we wanted in first two rounds. And we could certainly argue they were both obtainable going only one pick in front of us.

Maybe if we hadn’t divulged so publicly what our intentions were other teams wouldn’t have maneuvered right in front of us. Not sure how much that played into it. But that was the buzz in my circle.
I don't think that has much to do with it, other teams are more interested in helping themselves than denying the Cowboys.

I think we need to remember this next year and stop buying into all the mock drafts and think logically about what teams need and are facing.

CAR has TB, ATL and NO to deal with and Pitts now added to the mix. They traded for their QB and were out of that mix. What other player would they take?

DEN has Mahomes, Herbert and Carr to deal with and after Lawrence, Wilson and Lance were off the board, what else would they do?

The highest ranked players on D in this draft were 2 CB's and a LB, that's it. Those two divisions face high octane passing games, they had to take the players they took. If Farley hadn't had that back issue, we would have seen 3 QB's, 3 WR's and 3 CB's in the top 11. After that, it was a steep drop.

I have 0 reservations that Horn and Surtain were the targets and if CAR and DEN hadn't taken them, they would have traded to teams that would have.

It is simply cause and effect, the more highly rated WR's that get drafted, the more need for highly rated CB's. That's it, all about QB's, WR's and CB's and pass rushers now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think what your dancing around here is a lack of draft aptitude........... fear........ incompetence............ they clearly did not fully understand the value of that 10th pick. They were so tunnel visioned that they never considered what NY would give up for Devonte Smith. There were no offers with Mac Jones and Justin Fields on the board? Chicago gave NY a better offer than anything Dallas got? None of Jerry's explanations add up.

We have no idea what value the Cowboys had on Barmore or Moerig. What we do know is that this organization hasn't made any significant trade-ups since Mo Claiborne. Its been clear that the Cowboys have been gun shy since that fleecing and have decided they would rather leave the fate of the franchise to whoever's name comes up on their magic board. So, even if they did have high grades on those guys, they weren't moving up for them.