The trade netted a 3rd and 3M on the contract

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think that has much to do with it, other teams are more interested in helping themselves than denying the Cowboys.

I think we need to remember this next year and stop buying into all the mock drafts and think logically about what teams need and are facing.

CAR has TB, ATL and NO to deal with and Pitts now added to the mix. They traded for their QB and were out of that mix. What other player would they take?

DEN has Mahomes, Herbert and Carr to deal with and after Lawrence, Wilson and Lance were off the board, what else would they do?

The highest ranked players on D in this draft were 2 CB's and a LB, that's it. Those two divisions face high octane passing games, they had to take the players they took. If Farley hadn't had that back issue, we would have seen 3 QB's, 3 WR's and 3 CB's in the top 11. After that, it was a steep drop.

I have 0 reservations that Horn and Surtain were the targets and if CAR and DEN hadn't taken them, they would have traded to teams that would have.

It is simply cause and effect, the more highly rated WR's that get drafted, the more need for highly rated CB's. That's it, all about QB's, WR's and CB's and pass rushers now.
Didn’t have anything to do with denying the Cowboys. That wasn’t my message . But knowing what our intentions are can influence others decisions.

Let me ask you this. If we thought Surtain and Horn could go right in front of us do you think we would have tried to move up a spot or two?

Or do you think we were satisfied settling for Parsons? Just the luck of the draw.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Didn’t have anything to do with denying the Cowboys. That wasn’t my message . But knowing what our intentions are can influence others decisions.

Let me ask you this. If we thought Surtain and Horn could go right in front of us do you think we would have tried to move up a spot or two?

Or do you think we were satisfied settling for Parsons? Just the luck of the draw.
Give me Parsons or give me Bacon

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I saw CB as a greater need than LB and I am about needs. However, I did feel that Parsons was the best D player in this draft. Of all the D players available in the 1st round, he has the most potential of any of them.

However, in assessing needs, I was not in Quinn's head with what he was thinking. I am thinking 4/3 like SEA and a 4/2/5 a lot of the time. Need that guy to play in the 5 more than one to play in the 2. Unless he is the right one.

If any DC was looking for the best to blitz, cover and tackle, he was the choice.

The other part of this was that cornerstone line about Smith was nothing more than BS and they didn't pick up Vander Esch's option for year 5.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I saw CB as a greater need than LB and I am about needs. However, I did feel that Parsons was the best D player in this draft. Of all the D players available in the 1st round, he has the most potential of any of them.

However, in assessing needs, I was not in Quinn's head with what he was thinking. I am thinking 4/3 like SEA and a 4/2/5 a lot of the time. Need that guy to play in the 5 more than one to play in the 2. Unless he is the right one.

If any DC was looking for the best to blitz, cover and tackle, he was the choice.

The other part of this was that cornerstone line about Smith was nothing more than BS and they didn't pick up Vander Esch's option for year 5.
Yea, my intention was not to downplay our selection with Parsons . No doubt a fine pick considering. I’m definitely ok with it.

But my message was more about was he our initial intention in the 10th slot.

And were we caught off guard our initial picks weren’t there.

Would it have changed our approach if we thought we needed to make a move up a spot to secure one of them. Or were we just fine settling with Parsons.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, my intention was not to downplay our selection with Parsons . No doubt a fine pick considering. I’m definitely ok with it.

But my message was more about was he our initial intention in the 10th slot.

And were we caught off guard our initial picks weren’t there.

Would it have changed our approach if we thought we needed to make a move up a spot to secure one of them. Or were we just fine settling with Parsons.
I think the idea of giving up picks to move up for any player was not a popular notion with them.

The surprising thing was going down and leaving Parsons there for the Giants. Unless they knew the Giants were being approached by the Bears because they had turned them down.

I think they went into this OK with any of the 3 D players and I don't think they were caught off guard by the 2 CB's being gone. Once all the spin stopped, the picks 1-9 made perfect sense once CAR traded for Darnold. And they knew DEN was not going back to the Bama WR well for a 1st rounder in this draft.

Considering the teams in CAR and DEN's divisions, those picks made perfect sense. And probably the least risky of the top 10 picks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the idea of giving up picks to move up for any player was not a popular notion with them.

The surprising thing was going down and leaving Parsons there for the Giants. Unless they knew the Giants were being approached by the Bears because they had turned them down.

I think they went into this OK with any of the 3 D players and I don't think they were caught off guard by the 2 CB's being gone. Once all the spin stopped, the picks 1-9 made perfect sense once CAR traded for Darnold. And they knew DEN was not going back to the Bama WR well for a 1st rounder in this draft.

Considering the teams in CAR and DEN's divisions, those picks made perfect sense. And probably the least risky of the top 10 picks.
I thought the trade kind of fell into our laps after the fact both of our CB were swooped up right in front of us. And would we have traded back chancing missing Parsons if we didn’t know Bears were moving up for Giants pick?

That was the key. The Bears trade. How did they know Bears were moving up unless they had contacted them. Otherwise Parsons might not have been at #12. And why I believe we turned down trade with Bears.

Manster68

Reaction score
Yeah I would have told Philly it’s a 2nd or bounce. You don’t gift a division rival a player without making them pay for it.
I see and understand where you are coming from. No true Cowboy fan has any compassion for Philly.
HOWEVER
1. If you think you can get the player you want at pick 12 rather than 10 (Micah Parsons)...
2. ...and you know there is no way you can stop a Heisman Trophy winner like Devonte Smith from going to a division rival.
THEN
Why not get an extra draft pick?

You cannot let your hatred for a team cloud your chance to get an extra player to help rebuild a defense that gave up over 1700 yards rushing BEFORE FIRST CONTACT!

When your defense is as pathetic as Dallas' was last season, you don't have much leverage to be adamant to get a 2nd round pick.

Now that all of this is hindsight, getting Chauncy Golston who is strong against the run, along with same player you wanted at pick 10 at pick 12 (Parcels), Dallas played this extremely well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the trade kind of fell into our laps after the fact both of our CB were swooped up right in front of us. And would we have traded back chancing missing Parsons if we didn’t know Bears were moving up for Giants pick?

That was the key. The Bears trade. How did they know Bears were moving up unless they had contacted them. Otherwise Parsons might not have been at #12. And why I believe we turned down trade with Bears.
Could have turned it down because it was too far down at 20. I think they started this draft with a short list at 10 of 5 players and 4 were gone. They had to feel the Giants were not taking Parsons to trade down and chancing mission out on all 5. I don't think they ever thought Pitts or Sewell would reach them and I think the day before they realized the 2 CB's were gone too.

The Giants may have picked up a 1st next year but they missed all of their 1st round targets for this draft. According to reports, they were livid at losing Smith and may have overreacted.

What's going to be interesting is how Parsons performs and what player they get with CHI's 1st next year. Both for DAL and NYG.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Could have turned it down because it was too far down at 20. I think they started this draft with a short list at 10 of 5 players and 4 were gone. They had to feel the Giants were not taking Parsons to trade down and chancing mission out on all 5. I don't think they ever thought Pitts or Sewell would reach them and I think the day before they realized the 2 CB's were gone too.

The Giants may have picked up a 1st next year but they missed all of their 1st round targets for this draft. According to reports, they were livid at losing Smith and may have overreacted.

What's going to be interesting is how Parsons performs and what player they get with CHI's 1st next year. Both for DAL and NYG.
That’s exactly why they turned it down. Too far for them to trade down and not pick a potential impact on defense.

Plus you’re right from an earlier post that Jethro doesn’t look ahead to what 2 1st rounds could do for them next year.

Our deal wasn’t bad considering. But Giants made the better deal long term.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s exactly why they turned it down. Too far for them to trade down and not pick a potential impact on defense.

Plus you’re right from an earlier post that Jethro doesn’t look ahead to what 2 1st rounds could do for them next year.

Our deal wasn’t bad considering. But Giants made the better deal long term.
Depends on the players, not the pick positions.

They got Toney instead of Smith and could end up with a Jefferson situation like last year, 4th WR picked was the best in his first year.

Cowboys could have ended up with the Bears 1st in 22 and Paye, Farley or Newsome.

If Parsons struggles and the Bears do as well, we'll be revisiting this subject a lot this coming season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Depends on the players, not the pick positions.

They got Toney instead of Smith and could end up with a Jefferson situation like last year, 4th WR picked was the best in his first year.

Cowboys could have ended up with the Bears 1st in 22 and Paye, Farley or Newsome.

If Parsons struggles and the Bears do as well, we'll be revisiting this subject a lot this coming season.
Yea , but we won’t be able to fully evaluate until we see what those two 1st RD picks will be next year for NY.

And what could have sweetened the deal for us if we had taken the Bears deal is still having those three 3rd RD picks we could have used to moved up in 2nd round to get our safety.

I’m actually as much or more disappointed in missing that pick one slot in front of us.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't think that has much to do with it, other teams are more interested in helping themselves than denying the Cowboys.

That helping themselves is what keeps them a step ahead of the Joneses. The Joneses think everyone is so obsessed with their dithering fumbling about. That makes things kind of easy.

We are really an old franchise with an old viewpoint.

The young guard NFL is dancing around us each year.