Recap: The Troy Aikman Interview: The Untold Story

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
I just remember how much Troy and Jimmy wanted to move on from David Shula.

I don't think it was as much as how great Norv Turner was...but just as importantly, getting David Shula out of Dallas. He was NOT helping the young QB..

CCBoy

Reaction score
I just remember how much Troy and Jimmy wanted to move on from David Shula.

I don't think it was as much as how great Norv Turner was...but just as importantly, getting David Shula out of Dallas. He was NOT helping the young QB..
Jimmy picked David Shula...his choice.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This episode was done back in 2013.
Yeah, the way he talked about Brady/Belichick sounded older but not sure this has been released until now. Some of this was news for me like the retirement revelation.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Bottom line was that Jerry wouldn't relinquish actual control of his own organization. His views of organization were forged in philosophies in San Francisco and then in Oakland. His Oakland education taught him how to financially overcome and earned the life of the franchise. He was genuine in try to continue the legend side of the team, and it's name.

The sophistication on organization, although, had much transitioning to walk through to arrive at today's game and demands. That part had to then be relearned and changed. One could no longer buy success or retain quality players as before. That changed players, the NFL, and the Dallas Cowboys.

Jimmy survived on a short lease because of his style of dominance. But he also wanted all the glory...the rah-rah side that increased personal glory and power. He self destructed then.

Jerry came from the oil fields where one achieved by drama filled gambling and total control of the rig. He didn't have yet a personal management insight to just handle authority challenges. Throw in addition, Jimmy's abandonment of team and his boss both...Jerry couldn't yet overcome that hurdle.

At that point, Jimmy presented a picture of disrespecting his boss, and Jimmy was fired.

This proved fatal after those set of reasons carried through with the NFL changes set into actions.

Life is full of changes and lessons, and so is the NFL. Both Jerry and Jimmy were rewarded for what they did accomplish.
Best things in life sometimes unfortunately aren’t recognized until after the fact when it’s gone. Sad way life goes sometimes. Still frustrating though, especially since both of those guys grew up together at University of Arkansas.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised (similar to what my hunch was at that time) as to Troy admitting he retired because he mentally gave up and quit on the Dallas Cowboys. He clearly didn't want to be a Cowboy anymore and actually wanted to go play elsewhere with any other team. Very telling of how bad the organization had gotten by that time, hence the 27 year drought.
It was pretty bad at the time. Only the most myopic couldn’t see it. Still amazed people give Parcells crap for not winning enough. Makes me wonder if they followed this organization in those years after Jimmy. Wasn’t put back on track until Bill came to town. Thank goodness Jerry needed a new stadium.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
no one really knows the triggers from past head injuries and when they decide to rear their head but I think Troy may be whistling past the graveyard in how many he experienced and possible effects.
Scary stuff. Steve Young had similar stories. But only the QBs were noticed. Seems like other positions were expected to keep playing in those days.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’m glad he didn’t play baseball but my Mets sure could have used him :muttley:

Who knows, if he did go there, I might have been in the minors with him :omg:
Play with any current pros when you were in the minors? What position?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Aikman was a very good QB on a great team. Once that talent diminished, he proved he couldn't carry a team on his shoulders and proved to be an average QB. He couldn't overcome the lack of talent on the team.

I've always said, if this forum was around after the SB years, Troy would have gotten the same hate Romo and Dak get.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman was a very good QB on a great team. Once that talent diminished, he proved he couldn't carry a team on his shoulders and proved to be an average QB. He couldn't overcome the lack of talent on the team.

I've always said, if this forum was around after the SB years, Troy would have gotten the same hate Romo and Dak get.
That an idiotic take on his career. Troy got better as the season went on and always rose to the occasion of the game. 3 rings and a yellow jacket don’t lie.

Last edited:

mrmojo

Reaction score
I saw it yesterday and was a great interview, was a able to see Troy let out a little emotion talking about his girls. He will never get the credit he deserves but he was a tough son of a gun and was raised like many of us were back then, by a tough Dad who instilled a hard work ethic.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys were stout in all 3 phases under J.J. kudos to Jimmy and Jerry for having a great coaching staff.

Flamma

Reaction score
1990 is probably my favorite losing season by the Cowboys. Had the Rams beaten the Saints, last game of the season on Monday night, Dallas makes the playoffs.

gtb1943

Reaction score
And Jimmy chose Troy...
Remember Steve Walsh?

Jimmy was NOT the all time greatest judge of college talent; we LUCKED into Emmitt. Jimmy had so many picks that he built the team despite MANY of them not really panning out.

This was shown when he coached the Fins and was unable to substantially improve the roster.
And I think also the longer Jimmy was away from recruiting and being up close to the real talent in college football the less able he was to make the best selections

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised (similar to what my hunch was at that time) as to Troy admitting he retired because he mentally gave up and quit on the Dallas Cowboys. He clearly didn't want to be a Cowboy anymore and actually wanted to go play elsewhere with any other team. Very telling of how bad the organization had gotten by that time, hence the 27 year drought.
Yeah, it was a subtle shot at Jerry's horrible mismanagement after Jimmy left.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I think also the longer Jimmy was away from recruiting and being up close to the real talent in college football the less able he was to make the best selections
This is something I have been saying since he left the Cowboys.

He was still a good judge of talent but the level of knowledge he had on college players while he was in the college system was better than he got from outside in the NFL system.