Recap: The Troy Aikman Interview: The Untold Story

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Aikman was a very good QB on a great team. Once that talent diminished, he proved he couldn't carry a team on his shoulders and proved to be an average QB. He couldn't overcome the lack of talent on the team.

I've always said, if this forum was around after the SB years, Troy would have gotten the same hate Romo and Dak get.
I can't agree with any of this.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I remember reading several articles where Jimmy credited Jerry on the player selections. There wasn't much "internet" content available, so don't ask me for any links. Just my feeble memory.
You are going to need to brings some receipts or check your memory.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ry-jones-on-gm-claims-during-super-bowl-runs/

“The time I was with the team, I had complete and total responsibility over the football operation,” he told Horn earlier this week. “That meant personnel, the draft, coaches, including the strength coach. Everything. It was always in my contract. …

“When we signed that first contract, Jerry said, ‘I’ll be in charge of the finances, you’ll be in charge of the football,’ we’ll make history,” Johnson added.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Jimmy picked David Shula...his choice.
Sure was...and it didn't work.

Look, no one loves Jimmy more than me. But he wasn't infallible. David Shula was mistake #1. Mistake #2 was taking Steve Walsh in the 1989 supplemental draft just because he wanted Aikman to have some competition. The cost? Well, by picking in the first round in the supplemental draft in 1989 meant that Dallas was to forfeit their #1 pick in 1990. That would have been a #1 overall pick folks!

The good news is Dallas got a #1 pick in the Herschel Walker trade (among others), and they used it to select Emmett Smith, somewhere around the 20th pick.

Thomas82

Reaction score
This was good to watch, and this is an excellent outline of the interview.

The only thing I have a question about is when Troy said all 3 of The Triplets gave up something to be successful. For the most part, I know what Troy and Michael gave up. I'm not quite sure what Emmitt gave up, except for maybe accepting less than what he asked for when he ended his contract dispute in 1993 and some 3rd down responsibilities when we signed Chris Warren.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Sure was...and it didn't work.

Look, no one loves Jimmy more than me. But he wasn't infallible. David Shula was mistake #1. Mistake #2 was taking Steve Walsh in the 1989 supplemental draft just because he wanted Aikman to have some competition. The cost? Well, by picking in the first round in the supplemental draft in 1989 meant that Dallas was to forfeit their #1 pick in 1990. That would have been a #1 overall pick folks!

The good news is Dallas got a #1 pick in the Herschel Walker trade (among others), and they used it to select Emmett Smith, somewhere around the 20th pick.
I’ve often wondered what that 1990 pick would have been. I’m guessing he would have picked his boy from Miami, Cortez Kennedy. A HOF DT on top of our roster of HOFers. Wow. He picked his boy with Walsh… wrong dude from Miami. Although, I really respect how he didn’t hand anything over to the first round overall pick. You will probably never see that again. Any quarterback picked that high these days is paid a lot of money and the team is screwed if he isn’t the man.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This was good to watch, and this is an excellent outline of the interview.

The only thing I have a question about is when Troy said all 3 of The Triplets gave up something to be successful. For the most part, I know what Troy and Michael gave up. I'm not quite sure what Emmitt gave up, except for maybe accepting less than what he asked for when he ended his contract dispute in 1993 and some 3rd down responsibilities when we signed Chris Warren.
True, everything was handed to Emmitt. Great O-line, the focal point of the offense.