The Ultimate Trade

ryanbabs

Reaction score
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.
Those years are simply "irreplaceable". We were on top for several years and it was great. I feel sorry for the fans that did not experience it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trying to wrap my head around this. Winning doesn’t do it for you. Ok, no big deal.

Most people have an issue with Jerry’s decisions which they feel prevent the team from winning. If winning doesn’t matter, why does his decisions matter?

If just competing is good enough, then Jerry has been good enough. While I don’t believe the team has been good enough to win it all, they have been good enough to compete. They just underperformed.
Didn't say winning doesn't do it for me. I said SB's don't, big difference. I want to contend but I don't need the rings.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the NFL, SB's are what it's all about. The fact that you don't get that, explains everything.
Get that? One team each year will win the SB and all else are abject failures? BS So, if you have followed the team since their inception, you've had 5 good seasons and 52 bad ones?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Get that? One team each year will win the SB and all else are abject failures? BS So, if you have followed the team since their inception, you've had 5 good seasons and 52 bad ones?
No, 5 Great seasons, some good ones and some bad ones. And good is not good enough.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Who is saying "all else are object failures"? It's not as black or white as you are painting it. There are shades of gray in between... it's always good to make the playoffs and better the deep you go in the playoffs. There is only one SB winner each season so there will be good teams that fall short. Teams that make it to the playoffs can be proud of that achievement and should know they are on the right course. However, Super Bowl victories matter and should not be dissed the way you are doing.