The Ultimate Trade

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One point I left out in comparing which era was better for fans the Landry era or the Jerry era is how fan friendly Jerry has made things. Training camp has been night and day more fan friendly during the Jerry era than it was during the Landry era. I attended camps under Landry and Jerry and Jerry’s camps are much more enjoyable for fans. Everything Jerry has done from training camps to his stadium to his training facility is to make for a great fan experience. The teams performances certainly haven’t been nearly as consistent during the Jerry era as the Landry era but as I mentioned the Landry era didn’t have to deal with a salary cap and free agency.

The Landry era didn’t have to deal with the high-priced contracts we see today. Had free agency and the salary cap never arrived the Cowboys could have very easily won 5 championships during the 90s. Those teams were torn apart by free agency. Ken Norton and Alvin Harper who were key contributors to the Cowboys 92 and 93 Super Bowl wins weren’t even around during our 95 Super Bowl win. If it wasn’t for free agency and the salary cap the teams during the Jerry era wouldn’t have been as inconsistent as we’ve seen. We’ve lost some very good players over the years that we wanted to keep like Demarco Murray and DWare. Free agency and the salary cap hurts your depth which is something the Landry era had plenty of.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.

Since it's very hard to win 3 super bowls in 30 years, no, I wouldn't give it up.

Swanny

Reaction score
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.
Wouldn't trade it for anything. To say you would trade it just shows that you or we are spoiled as Cowboys fans. Not many teams have even won 3 Super Bowls. I will support Jerry until he is gone because I am a fan. I hate him as a GM but love him as an owner. I will forever criticize him as a GM but what he had done as an owner, charities, players, etc far outweighs the bad GM side.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Fans get bored and frustrated which leads to rhetorical threads every offseason. As for what era was greater to fans the Landry era or the Jerry era, it comes down to opinion. In my opinion the Jerry era has been greater to fans. The Jerry era has a 3-2 edge in SB wins and won back to back SB’s which very few teams have done. The 92 team was the greatest Cowboys team ever assembled. NFL Network ranked the 92 team in the top 10 greatest teams ever. The Jerry era saw a Cowboys team dominate the 90s and had two teams win 13 games which is the franchise record. The Jerry era had the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. The best teams the Cowboys had during the Landry era were in the 70s, a decade that was dominated by the Steelers.

The Cowboys have become the most valuable franchise in the entire NFL under Jerry and play in arguably the most spectacular stadium in the league that keeps fans coming despite the lack of success the team has had the past two decades. The Cowboys also have the most spectacular training facility of any team in the NFL. The Cowboys were losing $1 million a month when Jerry bought the team. The last 5 years of the Landry era was a train wreck. The Landry era didn’t have to deal with free agency or a salary cap which helped keep their great teams together. We won three championships during the Jerry era and had a team dominate a decade, none of which were accomplished during the Landry era.

Comparing the Landry era with the Jerry era isn’t a real fair comparison because things are so different now with free agency and the salary cap. The Cowboys wouldn’t have had the consistency they did during the 70s with free agency and a salary cap. Tex Schramm was a tightwad who didn’t pay his players. Go do some reading up on that and listen to the players who had to deal with him.
Like you said, it’s your opinion. In my opinion, you were not very persuasive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wouldn't trade it for anything. To say you would trade it just shows that you or we are spoiled as Cowboys fans. Not many teams have even won 3 Super Bowls. I will support Jerry until he is gone because I am a fan. I hate him as a GM but love him as an owner. I will forever criticize him as a GM but what he had done as an owner, charities, players, etc far outweighs the bad GM side.
But if the owner is keeping the GM in place then he’s a bad owner. If you hate the GM you hate the owner. They are one in the same. Not sure why all fans don’t see it?

Jerry could be a great owner if he’d seperate himself. Instead he chooses to limit the potential of football operations which makes whatever contributions he makes otherwise meaningless without the teams success .

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You posted earlier that you don’t care about rings. Would you rather have three Super Bowl wins in four years, followed by a ten year period where you don’t contend at all. Or would you rather contend for SB’s for ten straight years but not win any?
That is a good question and the reason why I asked the question because I would choose the latter because I want to be in contention, I want the games to matter. But you didn't mention if we made any during that 10 year span. I would like to go to the Big Dance 1 of those 10 years but being a player until the end would be good enough. I am not a SB or bust fan but have no problem with those that are.

I wonder how the Bills or Vikings fans feel, would they give up 3 of the 4 trips to just have 1 ring? I've never asked any but if that was me, just being in 4 was a hell of a ride.

When the season ends before the season should end, the last game, that is an empty feeling and the games lose their luster for me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans get bored and frustrated which leads to rhetorical threads every offseason. As for what era was greater to fans the Landry era or the Jerry era, it comes down to opinion. In my opinion the Jerry era has been greater to fans. The Jerry era has a 3-2 edge in SB wins and won back to back SB’s which very few teams have done. The 92 team was the greatest Cowboys team ever assembled. NFL Network ranked the 92 team in the top 10 greatest teams ever. The Jerry era saw a Cowboys team dominate the 90s and had two teams win 13 games which is the franchise record. The Jerry era had the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. The best teams the Cowboys had during the Landry era were in the 70s, a decade that was dominated by the Steelers.

The Cowboys have become the most valuable franchise in the entire NFL under Jerry and play in arguably the most spectacular stadium in the league that keeps fans coming despite the lack of success the team has had the past two decades. The Cowboys also have the most spectacular training facility of any team in the NFL. The Cowboys were losing $1 million a month when Jerry bought the team. The last 5 years of the Landry era was a train wreck. The Landry era didn’t have to deal with free agency or a salary cap which helped keep their great teams together. We won three championships during the Jerry era and had a team dominate a decade, none of which were accomplished during the Landry era.

Comparing the Landry era with the Jerry era isn’t a real fair comparison because things are so different now with free agency and the salary cap. The Cowboys wouldn’t have had the consistency they did during the 70s with free agency and a salary cap. Tex Schramm was a tightwad who didn’t pay his players. Go do some reading up on that and listen to the players who had to deal with him.
I don't know how Schramm would have dealt with FA because you are right, the players hated him and he treated them as he had all the leverage, which he did.

The comparison isn't real to me because I am different than I was during the 70's, 40+ years older. Those games mattered too much and I was an awesome person to be around if it wasn't going well. I had my ego intertwined with the winning of the team and took the SB losses harder and longer then I enjoyed the 2 wins.

Now, I am dispassionate but I chalk that up to the way this team has been run for the last 20 seasons. I have been accused of lowering my bar but why get my hopes up? Every season, I see good long time fans so frustrated because they look for the silver linings, grab them and then it comes unraveled. Even if they have a good season, I have 0 faith it will end well. I am a conditioned Cowboys fan.

Swanny

Reaction score
But if the owner is keeping the GM in place then he’s a bad owner. If you hate the GM you hate the owner. They are one in the same. Not sure why all fans don’t see it?

Jerry could be a great owner if he’d seperate himself. Instead he chooses to limit the potential of football operations which makes whatever contributions he makes otherwise meaningless without the teams success .
3 super bowls in my lifetime is plenty. Not many fans get to experience it so I will take the bad now

Swanny

Reaction score

And what's the most important job of any owner of a business? To make money. Jerry dies this better than anyone. To say he's a bad owner is foolish. From a fans perspective is frustrating. But he is doing exactly what he needs to do. Make money and he is making more money than any other team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And what's the most important job of any owner of a business? To make money. Jerry dies this better than anyone. To say he's a bad owner is foolish. From a fans perspective is frustrating. But he is doing exactly what he needs to do. Make money and he is making more money than any other team.
Making money is important to you as a fan ?

Maybe we should start hanging #1 in Revenue banners?

Swanny

Reaction score
Making money is important to you as a fan ?

Maybe we should start hanging #1 in Revenue banners?
Its not important to me as a fan but it's the only thing that matters when you own a company. My feelings don't matter

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its not important to me as a fan but it's the only thing that matters when you own a company. My feelings don't matter
You really believe that’s the only thing that matters to an owner in the NFL?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. Winning comes 2nd. If they aren't making money why own the team?
Most NFL owners are already billionaires. Owning a team is like a hobby or fulfilling a fantasy. It’s not their main source of income like it is for Jerry.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Watching SB VI highlights on NFLN reminds me why I'm a Cowboys fan - Landry and Staubach. I loved those guys.

Jerry should thank them because otherwise I'd have dumped his team years ago. Compared to them, Jerry's a fool.

(Resist any urge to tell me about "Jerry's" 3 SB rings. Anyone with a clue knows they're Jimmy's. Jerry hasn't sniffed one since that team retired.)

mmohican29

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

An NFL franchise isn't guaranteed anything.

Please ask the fans of

Minnesota
Cleveland
Carolina
Atlanta
San Diego
Buffalo
Houston
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Cincinnati

... if having traditional team structure and traditional roles within their organizations meant anything at this point. They would trade them all for a fortuitous run to a single Lombardi.

Swanny

Reaction score
Most NFL owners are already billionaires. Owning a team is like a hobby or fulfilling a fantasy. It’s not their main source of income like it is for Jerry.
So this would prove even more that he is extremely successful as an NFL Owner. Most valuable s5orts franchise in the world with no other businesses to prop him up.