The unplanned decline of the NFL

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, I watch less and less NFL games every year.
Then the decline really accelerated after the Green bay road loss in 2014.
Other things have olny made it decline more.
I do still watch the Cowboys games...of course. :flagwave:

And if there's a game on that I have some interest in, I may have it on in the background as I do other things around the house.
I do not have just any old game on anymore though.
Other than playoff games, I'm not sure I've watched and entire non-Cowboy NFL game in a couple of years.
Part of that may be that I've actually grown up some....perspectives change as we mature, hopefully. This is for all pro sports, not just the NFL.

btw
:espn:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When it comes to changing the entertainment interests of a large number of people, "movements" just don't work. Things like billboard campaigns and organized calls for people to "don't go to events" or "don't watch it on TV" have very little short term effects and almost no long term effects against whatever the target is.

The problem is that, while important, most so-called issues are just not deal breakers for most people, especially not to the loyal fans. How many Get-Rid-Of-____ posts did we see on CZ back in the 2000's? Three 5-11 years in a row .. for the COWBOYS!?!? Yet, the NFL and Dallas Cowboys just kept getting more popular and more valuable. Movements, petitions, promotions, campaigns, etc. just don't have any long term effects like people think or hope they do.

So, what does push long time fans away from something they adore? A decline in entertainment or enjoyment value more than anything, but that is rarely a quick process. That is when bad decisions lead to a decline in quality over time, with a large part of it going unnoticed early on except by a few "Wolf! cryers" until one day it just hits you, "What happened to this?"

There is one thing of course that will push long time fans away more quickly, and that is when decisions are made that either greatly change or negatively affect the product/service/entertainment or that deeply offend or upset the fans. For example, when Jerry fired Landry, especially the way he did it, it drove a lot of older fans away from the team who have never returned. Younger fans were upset as well, but the Super Bowl wins a few years later helped bring a lot them back into the fold.

In a more current example, Cowboys fans are losing interest in the NFL because of a perceived bias against the team over the last few years, culminated by the unjustified suspension of Ezekiel Elliott. While that in itself is not enough to drive Cowboys fans away from the team itself, many Cowboys fans' views of the NFL are way more negative and tainted these days. For example, I do not watch NFL games unless the Cowboys are playing, where I used to watch NFL games almost every time they were on.

The world of entertainment is changing. People are moving away from scheduled-based TV and moving more toward on-demand entertainment. That last big hold-out for scheduled-based entertainment has been sporting events, with the NFL dominating that market for the last few decades. However, with the change in how people view and want entertainment combined with all of the missteps,. mistakes and decisions the NFL has been making in recent years along with a noticeable decrease in quality of the NFL as a whole, are starting to impact the NFL's long time untouchable popularity.

For example, ten years ago, if a network cancelled your favorite TV show, you might have been upset, but you looked for and eventually found a replacement for it. Now, because most people are wanting more control and freedom in their lives, people are moving away from scheduled TV shows and TV in general. So, when a network cancels a show you like, you get upset, but then you soon realize that's another 30-60 minutes of your life each week that's no longer tied up with something usually 13-24 weeks out of the year.

For me, the NFL is the same way. In the past, my Sundays, Monday nights and Thursday nights were usually tied up with watching NFL games, either directly or casually while doing something else. Now, I only have one game a week I watch and in many cases, I am doing something else while the game is on, which I never did in the past while watching Cowboys games. Watching Cowboys games used to be a mental break for me from the rest of my busy schedule. I watched Cowboys games, and even the commercials, from start to finish. Now, I find myself sometimes wondering things like, "How did they get the ball back so quickly?" or "How did they get up/down by 3?"

People's entertainment interests have been changing for a while. Unlike many forms of entertainment, the NFL seemed to be shielded (pun intended) from those changes, but cracks have been appearing the last few years, and it seems like this year, the cracks are about to be replaced by gaping holes as fans and viewers leave.

The decline of the NFL has already started and given how long the process has been in motion, I cannot see any way it recovers. At best, the NFL needs to start making better decisions and providing teams with a better way to field more competitive teams if they want to hold on to what they still have.
I love football and just ignore the outside distractions. I still enjoy watching the games.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When it comes to changing the entertainment interests of a large number of people, "movements" just don't work. Things like billboard campaigns and organized calls for people to "don't go to events" or "don't watch it on TV" have very little short term effects and almost no long term effects against whatever the target is.

The problem is that, while important, most so-called issues are just not deal breakers for most people, especially not to the loyal fans. How many Get-Rid-Of-____ posts did we see on CZ back in the 2000's? Three 5-11 years in a row .. for the COWBOYS!?!? Yet, the NFL and Dallas Cowboys just kept getting more popular and more valuable. Movements, petitions, promotions, campaigns, etc. just don't have any long term effects like people think or hope they do.

So, what does push long time fans away from something they adore? A decline in entertainment or enjoyment value more than anything, but that is rarely a quick process. That is when bad decisions lead to a decline in quality over time, with a large part of it going unnoticed early on except by a few "Wolf! cryers" until one day it just hits you, "What happened to this?"

There is one thing of course that will push long time fans away more quickly, and that is when decisions are made that either greatly change or negatively affect the product/service/entertainment or that deeply offend or upset the fans. For example, when Jerry fired Landry, especially the way he did it, it drove a lot of older fans away from the team who have never returned. Younger fans were upset as well, but the Super Bowl wins a few years later helped bring a lot them back into the fold.

In a more current example, Cowboys fans are losing interest in the NFL because of a perceived bias against the team over the last few years, culminated by the unjustified suspension of Ezekiel Elliott. While that in itself is not enough to drive Cowboys fans away from the team itself, many Cowboys fans' views of the NFL are way more negative and tainted these days. For example, I do not watch NFL games unless the Cowboys are playing, where I used to watch NFL games almost every time they were on.

The world of entertainment is changing. People are moving away from scheduled-based TV and moving more toward on-demand entertainment. That last big hold-out for scheduled-based entertainment has been sporting events, with the NFL dominating that market for the last few decades. However, with the change in how people view and want entertainment combined with all of the missteps,. mistakes and decisions the NFL has been making in recent years along with a noticeable decrease in quality of the NFL as a whole, are starting to impact the NFL's long time untouchable popularity.

For example, ten years ago, if a network cancelled your favorite TV show, you might have been upset, but you looked for and eventually found a replacement for it. Now, because most people are wanting more control and freedom in their lives, people are moving away from scheduled TV shows and TV in general. So, when a network cancels a show you like, you get upset, but then you soon realize that's another 30-60 minutes of your life each week that's no longer tied up with something usually 13-24 weeks out of the year.

For me, the NFL is the same way. In the past, my Sundays, Monday nights and Thursday nights were usually tied up with watching NFL games, either directly or casually while doing something else. Now, I only have one game a week I watch and in many cases, I am doing something else while the game is on, which I never did in the past while watching Cowboys games. Watching Cowboys games used to be a mental break for me from the rest of my busy schedule. I watched Cowboys games, and even the commercials, from start to finish. Now, I find myself sometimes wondering things like, "How did they get the ball back so quickly?" or "How did they get up/down by 3?"

People's entertainment interests have been changing for a while. Unlike many forms of entertainment, the NFL seemed to be shielded (pun intended) from those changes, but cracks have been appearing the last few years, and it seems like this year, the cracks are about to be replaced by gaping holes as fans and viewers leave.

The decline of the NFL has already started and given how long the process has been in motion, I cannot see any way it recovers. At best, the NFL needs to start making better decisions and providing teams with a better way to field more competitive teams if they want to hold on to what they still have.

The scheduled vs on-demand entertainment is part of the issue.

Also, the internet as most people's primary news source has changed the "feel" of the season. Look at the layoffs at ESPN. People are moving away from network TV.

Some fans now watch games "tape delayed" on DVRs to avoid commercials. It seems that that would increase enjoyment but in reality makes the fan more detached from the games. When games could only be watched in real-time, fans would plan around taking a break from everything to watch and would get a feeling of being on vacation for 3 hours; however, now many people don't plan their life around setting everything aside and just use the DVR as their backup plan. Many then end up hearing the score before watching the game and therefore either don't watch it or just watch the highlights.

Personally, in past years I would spend Sundays watching football including the pregame shows, but in recent years I've lost interest in pregame shows because I already know all of the news from the internet. The same concept applies to non-Cowboys games. I'm less likely to watch them because I can easily follow the details on the internet either during or after those games.

Dedicating a big part of Sundays to football just seems less appealing to me and it's not really related to the NFL-political issues. For me it somehow connected to the internet news cycle, DVRs and possibly the spread of games throughout the week Sunday-night/Monday/Thursday. Also if I miss a big play, there are ways I can go back and watch it (Coaches film, youtube, etc..).

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'm sorry I dont understand the thought process behind only watching Cowboys games but avoiding the rest of the games.

Sounds like everyone in this boat should just watch training camp practices and then wait for the next year when camp opens again.

How do you know who the good teams are and how the games will go etc.?

Do you have to study every play of every team to know who the good teams are? Why can't you just look at the standings? Besides, there's so much parity that what's it matter? Wasn't KC supposed to be good? We dominated them. Isn't Denver supposed to suck? They dominated us. Did you know something we all didn't know by wasting countless hours on watching every single play?

Not trying to be rude. Just trying to understand your logic.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Do you have to study every play of every team to know who the good teams are? Why can't you just look at the standings? Besides, there's so much parity that what's it matter? Wasn't KC supposed to be good? We dominated them. Isn't Denver supposed to suck? They dominated us. Did you know something we all didn't know by wasting countless hours on watching every single play?

Not trying to be rude. Just trying to understand your logic.

Yes I have a feel for the teams we are playing by watching them play. KC is good. We played denver week 2. Teams are much different as the season goes on. You can see this by watching them during the season.

if you are not watching other teams play then yes I did know something you didnt about the opposing teams.

if you are judging teams by staring at the standings or scores then you really dont know about the teams at all and just expect the team with the better record to win every week. Clearly there is much more to this sport and every sport than that.

But if that is what you choose to do that is fine.

Everson24

Reaction score
What makes this season even more painful is the fact that the NFC is weaker than ever and we are having another down year. It also sickens me to know that there is a really good chance that the Eagles and Steelers will be playing in the Super Bowl in February.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
First of all, great write up. Well thought out and written

Secondly my NFL life span since the 70s has gone in this cycle....

70s-90s- Extreme interest where if the Cowboys lose it ruins my week. "The Catch" caused an overturned TV tray and crying despite still time on the clock and then a fumble to end it.

2000-2008 - Still interest in the Cowboys but my NFL watching was prevalent due to fantasy football. Overall a Cowboy loss didn't hurt as bad because we were really bad and I started to see a trend in our teams that differed from before.

2009-Present--Stopped Fantasy football in 2015. Rarely watch pro football outside of Cowboys unless its "beer" time on a weekend and decide to put on the best game I can find. Cowboys are my team but a win or loss gets a "meh, show me more." Tired of the league with Goodell, struggles, etc because it reminds me of politics, which I hate. The idea of MNF being "must watch" is long gone.

You can chalk some of this up to maturity, getting married and having 3 kids starting in 2005, the Cowboys being pretty irrelevant for years....but overall the product is watered down, there is less drama on the field and more off and honestly I hate the way it is run. It reminds me of the NBA under Stern. I grew up thinking the old 76ers, Lakers, Celtics, etc were must see TV. Even Jordans Bulls were. Then Stern gave the refs leeway to control and dictate games, outcomes, etc. There was no answer to how he ran the league. When Cuban or someone called them out, they were silenced. No matter the talent now, I can't go back. Add March Madness with one and done players. I don't even know who is on what team now vs knowing every player on Georgetown, Duke, NC, etc for decades. No vested interest in a team growing.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score

Great post. I wonder a little about parody too although I do not know the solution to that problem.

It gets old watching Dallas be .500, the browns suck and the Pats or Steelers seemingly constantly in the super bowl.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The NFL has been sending a pretty loud, consistent message to Cowboy fans over the past few years that they don't care about us. Why should we care about them?

Well said...

And for some reason...I think of this...coincidence? Tired of getting the shaft...:rolleyes:

dez-catch-or-not.jpg

CapnCook

Reaction score
Three main factors which have eroded the foundation...

Over-officiating / video review. As one other poster noted, it dilutes the excitement.

Cord cutters: The NFL's response...re-up with DirectTV and deny online package to markets where DirectTV is available. This, to me, shows the shortsightedness of the league. And even those who can get the online packages likely have their own teams blacked out, if they live in that team's market. This also indicates to me that the owners, in general, lack the vision and grasp for this new internet paradigm.

Goodell's reactive and feckless leadership, death by 1000 cuts.

Last edited:

Pants

Reaction score
The NFL is almost unwatchable...I watch the Cowboys and then I have RedZone on because I refuse to look at the commercials that the NFL is peddling...and when I have RedZone on, that is because I participate in FanDuel and in Fantasy Football Leagues...so, I want to see if "my players" are doing anything...usually, I just click on the APP while doing something else

One thing that will get me back to an active participant is if they can Goodell, he is horrible for this league, has been for a while...take his $40M and do something more positive with that...he makes me want to punch something just seeing his clown face....sadly for me, I don't have many other sports outlets...I thought I had Notre Dame this year and then they get "Falcon'd" last weekend, and then Dallas got "Falcon'd", I gave up....I am a Phillies fan in baseball and a 76ers fan in the NBA...the sixers are now starting to get a little fun to watch with their youngens so I will be there for the foreseeable future...

Cowboys>Sixers...........>Phillies...................................................>rest of the NFL

Note: I am glad to see the commercials for the winter olympics so I can forget the trash that is the NFL

Bcrav4

Reaction score
With the prevalence of the internet we also are conditioned to both demand and process information much faster than before. Dozens of hours spent watching games can now be summed up in a quick 10 minute article. Its now hard for a lot of people to justify the time spent watching games. Its now a question of if the pleasure of knowing the exact information you want, very quickly, outweighs the enjoyment you gain from taking the time to see the game play out live.

That gap for me is growing smaller by the game.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score

EXCELLENT ARTICLE GREAT WORK could not of posted it better

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I watch every game I can, been watching all my life, nothing has changed for me.
I don't. I quit watching loyally last year. I've only watched 2 games this year. If Dallas is in the playoffs I'll watch, if not I won't. Last year I didn't watch the playoffs, or Super Bowl. Where I live we used to all go to the sports bar where it was packed with like-minded fans. Now it's like a normal day, and I hear they're closing down. The interest in football or lack thereof is no joke. People can fight over the reasons why, but it's happening at an alarming rate and the league doesn't seem to care.

RS12

Reaction score
I see three problems right off the bat: 1) College spread offenses dont translate well, horrible O Line and QB play. 2) Tackling has been legislated out of the game, so it is now the NBA on grass. 3) Enormous egos and constant money grabs are getting in the way.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I'm sorry I dont understand the thought process behind only watching Cowboys games but avoiding the rest of the games.

Sounds like everyone in this boat should just watch training camp practices and then wait for the next year when camp opens again.

How do you know who the good teams are and how the games will go etc.?
not hard to figure out how they will go whoever has the best qb's will win did any one think the titans were going to beat big ben last night no the afc championship game will be the steelers and pats if there qb's remain healthy which one wins depends on who has homefield advantage

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
not hard to figure out how they will go whoever has the best qb's will win did any one think the titans were going to beat big ben last night no the afc championship game will be the steelers and pats if there qb's remain healthy which one wins depends on who has homefield advantage

not hard to figure out?

Ok then.