The Vikings may go after free agent T Jon Runyan

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Some posters in this forum say we should not go after Jon Runyan, I think you are wrong..............

The Vikings may go after free agent T Jon Runyan.

Runyan is also a candidate for Philly's franchise tag but has a history with Brad Childress. If the Vikes were to bring him in, they'd have two of the most durable tackles in the game, in Runyan and Bryant McKinnie. Last year's second-rounder Marcus Johnson would move inside to a guard spot.

Feb. 14 - 10:39 am et
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Comments?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Some posters in this forum say we should not go after Jon Runyan, I think you are wrong.......

I suppose the Marco Rivera signing didn't teach anyone any lessons.

The first rule of free agency is never sign players over 30 to huge contracts.

Runyan will be looking for one final payday. I would hope we are not the ones foolish enough to give it to him.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
I understand your position, but we can't expect any rookie or second year player to step in and make an impact.

Like I said last year....we need a couple of more transition players to fill the gap until our younger player mature.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
I understand your position, but we can't expect any rookie or second year player to step in and make an impact.

Like I said last year....we need a couple of more transition players to fill the gap until our younger player mature.

Thats true, but young FA linemen are available. Barry, Fonutui, and especially Bentley. Kevin Barry can be brought in cheaply and we could still draft a tackle like McNeil to compete for the RT job. Fonutui could be signed for a moderate amount and could compete with a guard like Guilles in for the RG job. I think Dallas needs young FA linemem. No more 30+ year old players.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
I respect your comments, but I still have to stick with my position bringing in transition players like Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, etc and continue to draft QUALITY prospects.

In addition, JJ said no more rookies will start on the OL. I agree.

ddh33

Reaction score
If you are going to get an over 30 lineman, I would target Fabini, hoping he was released.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Gryphon said:

Thats what scares me. I think Dallas will bring in more stop gaps this upcoming season.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Thats true, but young FA linemen are available. Barry, Fonutui, and especially Bentley. Kevin Barry can be brought in cheaply and we could still draft a tackle like McNeil to compete for the RT job. Fonutui could be signed for a moderate amount and could compete with a guard like Guilles in for the RG job. I think Dallas needs young FA linemem. No more 30+ year old players.

Amen, Amen and Amen!!!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If anyone is silly enough to give Runyon a big money deal he should take it. Me, I wouldn't want to be paying him big money to sit on the bench when Petitti beats him out.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Gryphon said:

How is that realistic? Let's say that we end up with Max Jean-Giles in round 2 (doubt he lasts that long but let's pretend). Are you telling me that he wouldn't start at LG just because he's a rookie?

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
abersonc said:
If anyone is silly enough to give Runyon a big money deal he should take it. Me, I wouldn't want to be paying him big money to sit on the bench when Petitti beats him out.

You can't honestly think that Runyon would sit on the bench behind Petitti :rolleyes:

I think he's still got a couple of years, but he's definelty on the downside of his career. Let someone else overpay for him.

neosapien23

Reaction score
abersonc said:
How is that realistic? Let's say that we end up with Max Jean-Giles in round 2 (doubt he lasts that long but let's pretend). Are you telling me that he wouldn't start at LG just because he's a rookie?

If we could get McNeil in the first and Guilles, Lutui, or Spencer in the second, I would soil myself. We could then sign Fonutui and Kevin Barry to compete for the starting jobs. Even if they can't beat out the talented rookies, we will have depth and not be handcuffed by injuries to the Oline.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
If we could get McNeil in the first and Guilles, Lutui, or Spencer in the second, I would soil myself.

I'd soil myself -- but in a bad way -- if we wasted a first on McNeil - he's a reach at #18 -- mocks might put him there based on need but he's a late first guy at best

neosapien23

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I'd soil myself -- but in a bad way -- if we wasted a first on McNeil - he's a reach at #18 -- mocks might put him there based on need but he's a late first guy at best

We will see. If he is completely healthy, than he is worth the pick. He is the 2nd best tackle in this years draft class and could be an eventual replacement for Adams.

joseephuss

Reaction score
abersonc said:

He could expect to sit a year behind Larry Allen and then start as a second year player.

neosapien23

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
He could expect to sit a year behind Larry Allen and then start as a second year player.

Not if Allen is cut due to his huge salary. Even if Allen was kept Guilles would probably start over Rivera.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Runyun is a WAY past his prime RT...he was already vastly overpaid once

he'll be a free agent because there's no way Philly is stupid enough to slap a franchise tag and waste that kind of dough on him

he isnt worth bringing in IMO

David

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Some posters in this forum say we should not go after Jon Runyan, I think you are wrong..............

Runyan is also a candidate for Philly's franchise tag but has a history with Brad Childress. If the Vikes were to bring him in, they'd have two of the most durable tackles in the game, in Runyan and Bryant McKinnie. Last year's second-rounder Marcus Johnson would move inside to a guard spot.

Comments?

Runyan is a dirty SOB and still a pretty good player. If he's not with the Eagles next year, then I won't complain.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
That is what JJ said, and I still agree. Especially with an immobile QB.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Gryphon said:

Comments?

I dont think we need Runyan, he is another over 30 guy, and our O-Line already has three guys +30. Dallas needs to start getting younger up-front.