The Vikings may go after free agent T Jon Runyan

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
abersonc said:
How is that realistic? Let's say that we end up with Max Jean-Giles in round 2 (doubt he lasts that long but let's pretend). Are you telling me that he wouldn't start at LG just because he's a rookie?

now that you're pretending... do you think with our current roster that someone like Jean-Gilles beats out a Larry Allen or Marco Rivera? Larry Allen will have to plain out not be on our roster in order for Gilles or any other rookie guard to start at LG... LA has set the bar too high. As far as Marco Rivera, I say is going to come back with a vengeance (that's what most all the zoners keep saying as well)... No someone like Gilles wont start in Big D. Pretending again of course that injuries aren't a part of the formula.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. Runyan scored pretty decent according to my stats and the Vikings RT play was right up there with Petitti from my statistical point of view.

Rich...........

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
I respect your comments, but I still have to stick with my position bringing in transition players like Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, etc and continue to draft QUALITY prospects.

In addition, JJ said no more rookies will start on the OL. I agree.

define "transition"? glenns been our WR for awhile now, not "transition" but if he was, to who? same with bledsoe.

there's a difference in filling a gap with a player till another is ready then there's another to snag retreads and make a "quick push" as the cost of NOT transitioning a position to someone.

as for th OL, there *are* players in their mid to upper 20's who'd do well for a 5 year contract that COULD see it through.

visionary

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I suppose the Marco Rivera signing didn't teach anyone any lessons.

The first rule of free agency is never sign players over 30 to huge contracts.

Runyan will be looking for one final payday. I would hope we are not the ones foolish enough to give it to him.

you know what they say:

common sense is the least common sense.

neosapien23

Reaction score
aardvark said:
now that you're pretending... do you think with our current roster that someone like Jean-Gilles beats out a Larry Allen or Marco Rivera? Larry Allen will have to plain out not be on our roster in order for Gilles or any other rookie guard to start at LG... LA has set the bar too high. As far as Marco Rivera, I say is going to come back with a vengeance (that's what most all the zoners keep saying as well)... No someone like Gilles wont start in Big D. Pretending again of course that injuries aren't a part of the formula.

Rivera is probably done. Most football players are never the same after back surgieries. Do the names Darren Woodson and Kyle Turley ring a bell? Fans wish Rivera never got hurt. He is not a turd, but facts are facts. He might not ever be the same guard he was before. No way Rivera could beat out Guilles for the starting job, Gurode did a better job this year with his limited start at RG.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Rivera is probably done. Most football players are never the same after back surgieries. Do the names Darren Woodson and Kyle Turley ring a bell? Fans wish Rivera never got hurt. He is not a turd, but facts are facts. He might not ever be the same guard he was before. No way Rivera could beat out Guilles for the starting job, Gurode did a better job this year with his limited start at RG.

**WARNING** conjecture

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Maybe T. Glenn does not qualify as a transition player, but he is a Parcell's guy. He knows the system. So he still is a stop gap player.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rivera could come back and play well. From ALL accounts he has a lot of pride and is not happy with his play this year. LA is LA and what we see is pretty much what we get. I would love to get Gilles since from all appearences he is a LA clone. If we could get him in the second (probably won't but nice dream) it would be great.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'd rather go with Jason Fabini.

Why do people keep tossing out a career backup like Kevin Barry's name like he's any better than Torrin Tucker? Green Bay was disappointed with him this year as a blocking tight end, and you want to let him man the right tackle position for us as a starter?

For those of you looking for those phenomenal players under 30 who are just sitting there out on the open market who didn't get a franchise tag, have fun waiting this offseason. What exactly is the worst case scenerio with Rivera? That we have to cut him and his accelerated bonus takes up cap space that we weren't going to use anyway?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I'd rather go with Jason Fabini.

Why do people keep tossing out a career backup like Kevin Barry's name like he's any better than Torrin Tucker?

Somethingdifferent-itis.

Plus he was part of that super cool U-71 package.