The What If Game - You Are In Charge

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It is widely known, by everyone who bothers to look, that the Patriots do not draft "early" very well at all.
Yes, they do usually pick late and keep winning, No one can deny that they have had tremendous success, at lest with Brady there.
He did have some success trading expensive players early, but not always and not lately.
How is developing a player or a QB reflective of his GM skills?
What make Bill so good is his coaching, especially of depth players and finding those players, in later rds.
But his track record of picking top picks and even top FA's is far from good.

Will McClay is known for not missing on early picks very often.
man u dont know what will does lol, I dont think he makes any picks lol, he just advises the jones boys, maybe they listen maybe they dont.
JOnes boys have the last word on all picks.
they also work as a group, so no one guy makes the pick aside from jerry.

J-man

Reaction score
man u dont know what will does lol, I dont think he makes any picks lol, he just advises the jones boys, maybe they listen maybe they dont.
JOnes boys have the last word on all picks.
they also work as a group, so no one guy makes the pick aside from jerry.

Ok that's probably true, but I do think Will is the main man when it comes to ranking the board and finding the types of players the coaches covet.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the Texans' model. And the Giants. And the Bears.

Robert Kraft forced the Jimmy G trade...and then the Pats won another Super Bowl. So no, the hands off owner is not the only way to win.

Again, culture, in the organizational sense that you're using it, does not matter.
Organizational culture doesn’t matter? Wow. I would like to see what makes you come to that conclusion because organizational research shows having a healthy culture at the top is a huge ingredient to success. Maybe you could clarify.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Organizational culture doesn’t matter?
Not in professional sports. Talent matters, and the locker room doesn't care about this stuff. "Organizational research" is based on corporate America. The corporate structure that Enterprise has is entirely irrelevant to the NFL.

Everything Kraft does is about as unhealthy as it can be. You always ignore that. Imagine Jerry getting fondled by a masseuse the day of the Super Bowl. Spygate. Deflategate. Aaron Hernandez. None of this points to "healthy culture." The Patriots are about collecting and retaining the right talent. Period.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Woh, I somehow missed this thread. Well done @TwoDeep3 - the perfect thread for where we are right now as a franchise.

This is what I would do.

1. I would elevate Will McCoy to be the General Manager. No one is more deserving. He has done an amazing job and I trust him implicitly to do an amazing job and get this team the talent that they need to get back to the Super Bowl.

2. I would recognize that the Mike McCarthy hire was a mistake and avoid the "good ole boy" network for the next hire. We need an innovative coach who has his team prepared on game day. To me, the answer is clear, my first and second choice would be Urban Meyer. Then, yes, I'd go for Lincoln Riley. If neither are available, Chris Peterson would be my next choice. As a dark horse candidate, I like Marc Colombo.

3. I would try to get some former Cowboys involved. I'd hope that Sean Lee wants to be a coach. What ever happened with Dat Nguyen? He was a coach for awhile and I thought that he did a great job. Bring Marc Colombo back in whatever way that we can. Tony Romo would be amazing but I don't think he's obtainable.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not in professional sports. Talent matters, and the locker room doesn't care about this stuff. "Organizational research" is based on corporate America. The corporate structure that Enterprise has is entirely irrelevant to the NFL.

Everything Kraft does is about as unhealthy as it can be. You always ignore that. Imagine Jerry getting fondled by a masseuse the day of the Super Bowl. Spygate. Deflategate. Aaron Hernandez. None of this points to "healthy culture." The Patriots are about collecting and retaining the right talent. Period.
I don’t know why you chose Bob Kraft as the model owner, especially since he’s been known to meddle too. Organizational research includes sports orgs btw. It’s not just about the corporate world. I have a Masters degree in Organizational Leadership so I do have some knowledge of the subject.

The Steelers are a great example of a healthy organizational culture in sports where the owner has an appropriate distance from football operations. The Rooney family has been a model of organizational health in sports. Their success over 5 decades speaks for itself. They have had 3 head coaches over 51 years, and 2 GMs in the last 21 years. Here’s a link to their front office structure if you’re interested. https://www.steelers.com/team/front-office-roster/

Look, I’m not a Steelers fan at all, but they are an example of organizational culture that can be considered a model. The Baltimore Ravens are another.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since hiring the HC is the GM's responsibility, I will have to find one that is OK having one forced on him. That's going to limit my search and I will need to get outside football and use Indeed. "Ever thought about running a NFL franchise except for hiring the HC? Here's your chance".

Seriously, if I were looking for a GM, I would have a blind box ad within the industry and open to college AD's as well and I would ask for blind submissions about they're overall plan, strategy and specific strategies that apply to this team's situation. I would select the best 3 and interview them and I wouldn't care if they were a college AD, scout, former coach, player or FO person.

When the Niners hired Bill Walsh from Stanford, did they know what they were really getting? Did the Ravens know what they were getting with Newsome? How about the Patriots end running the Jets to get Belichick, who had already bottomed out in CLE?

The two most self defeating assumptions in hiring. They haven't done it; therefore, they can't do it. But the second one is worse for this team. They've done it before; therefore, they will do it again.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hire some football guys, kick back and enjoy my money.
I am hiring a guy to hire some guys to hire some football guys. Then, I only have to fire one guy and hire another. I got this kind of money, I ain't working hard. Once I got enough money, life is too short to make more, I need to find ways to spend this.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I take over for Jerruh and live out my selfish dream of owning, managing, and coaching the Cowboys all at once.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Kellen Moore HC, Sean Lee DC,
Put away the anointing oil Sir.

We are The Dallas Cowboys. No more on-the-job training please.

By the way, personally I think both will be good coaches one day. Need to get away from this environment and learn from guys, be accountable for failures.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'd go Andy Reid and then whatever personnel guy he chooses to execute his vision for the team.

Sean McVay is probably a close second, but Reid, obviously, has the better body of work.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ok that's probably true, but I do think Will is the main man when it comes to ranking the board and finding the types of players the coaches covet.
that could be , like with so many things, all we can do is guess at what actually goes on.
What we need are some micro drones we can send to the star etc, to spy and see just what does go on and everything that is said!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Thats how the world works: There is a sucker born every minute.

Believe me, you will get 2 firsts for him.
I think his value is two firsts, but that's not happening and never was.

They had no intention of ever letting him go and they still don't.

Is Dak a great QB? Nope, but its not the first time this team has overvalued a player.

Not the last either.

Personally, I think they have a chance to win with him despite the salary.

In years past, no way. The way this league is now, there's a chance.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It is widely known, by everyone who bothers to look, that the Patriots do not draft "early" very well at all.
Yes, they do usually pick late and keep winning, No one can deny that they have had tremendous success, at lest with Brady there.
He did have some success trading expensive players early, but not always and not lately.
How is developing a player or a QB reflective of his GM skills?
What make Bill so good is his coaching, especially of depth players and finding those players, in later rds.
But his track record of picking top picks and even top FA's is far from good.

Will McClay is known for not missing on early picks very often.

Widely known? Sure buddy.

And I guess you think that drafting is the only job of a GM?

LOL.............so Belli is bad at drafting and bad at FA's yet he has been in half the SB's in the last 20 years and won 6? Your comments are laughable at best.

"Mclay is know for not missing on early pick VERY OFTEN"? Doesnt sound too confident to me.

So who are all these people that you keep saying are "well known"? You and who else?

McClay over Beli? Still remains the most ridiculous comment to date.

DanA

Reaction score
For me it would be:
GM: John Lynch
Assistant GM: Will McClay
Head coach: Matt Eberflues
Defensive Co-ordinator: Dan Quinn
Offensive Co-ordinator: Kellen Moore

And I think Bill Bellicheck has been pretty ordinary drafting but has done extremely well trading for players, trading players away, and downgrading picks getting more value. It also seems like he consistently gets undervalued deals with players chasing rings.

But IMO his biggest strength is getting the most out of his players.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I think his value is two firsts, but that's not happening and never was.

They had no intention of ever letting him go and they still don't.

Is Dak a great QB? Nope, but its not the first time this team has overvalued a player.

Not the last either.

Personally, I think they have a chance to win with him despite the salary.

In years past, no way. The way this league is now, there's a chance.

The question of the OP was "you are GM what would you do".
Not "what will happen" or "what will JJ do".

The best for our franchise is - if it wants to win a SB - letting him go and find a franchise QB.
Thats my opinion. It comes from watching Dak for around 6 years now.

With the QB market this coming offseason there is a chance you will get even more for Dak. But id settle for 2 firsts.

Imaging what you could do with that kind of draft material.

On the other hand: if you get Prescott a ~40 mils/year deal you will be handstrung and depleted for the next 5 years. You will be trying to hold on to the past - to something that is already gone.

Everybody knew with Elliot and Dak we had essentially a 4-5 years window of going to winning the big game. The team was in place, it was missing a RB. We had Romo at QB at that time. He got hurt, but we were lucky with the Dak pick at that time.

Fact is the window is over. The plan did not work out. Time for a rebuild.

This team has not one whole. It is a mess right now. The defense at least needs 5 very good players (FS, CB, DE, DT and LB). The OL is in bad shape too. We need a starting LT (and maybe a RT too). We may need another guard also. We also need a new RB.

And thats all starting caliber players i am talking about. I did not even start with the backup and rotational ones.

Go all in for Lawrence this year and build your team around him the following. Or vice versa - put all the draft material in the team this year, tank next year and get a QB in 2022.

Let it go people.

Last edited: