The Window, How Open Is It?

erod

Reaction score
These days, the size of your window of opportunity is directly related to the ability and age of your QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is the window half open or half closed?
Half open as these players are young enough in their careers which is the reward of drafting well, but that does come with a price.

However, they can begin closing it with the wrong personnel decisions.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Don't need Byron. We have Cheeto and j. Lewis. You can't pay everyone and as good as Byron is, he's not a playmaker. L. Collins is as good as gone too. Gotta keep jaylon Smith though.

I think our window is at least a few years if Dak shows to be a true franchise QB.

That’s the problem.. Dak is not a TRUE franchise QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 years . Then it’s time to start the next rebuild.

Dallas has always wasted our best players prime years.

They wasted Romo’s best years.

2011-2014, some of his best years, and they gave him a defense that was terrible.
Which brings up the question on the window on this D and just how good is it? Got quite a few pieces up next off season, B. Jones, J. Smith, A. Woods, M. Collins and Heath, half the DL and secondary and the middle of the D coming up.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s the problem.. Dak is not a TRUE franchise QB.
He is not elite but he is going to be the franchise QB because they don't have options.

They can let him play out this contract, which they should do, tag him and draft a QB in this draft in the 1st, if necessary. Give them a year to see how the rook is and maybe move him into the job into the season.

The more I think about how much Prescott wants, if this rumor is fact and he turned down 30M, and some of the other key players on this team, the more I revert back to my initial stance, play this contract out and take your chances. This would also give the new OC and QBC some wiggle room and honest analysis of his as a QB1.

erod is right, that window is controlled greatly by the ability of the QB and a top 10 one can get a nice breeze flowing through that window.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He is not elite but he is going to be the franchise QB because they don't have options.

They can let him play out this contract, which they should do, tag him and draft a QB in this draft in the 1st, if necessary. Give them a year to see how the rook is and maybe move him into the job into the season.

The more I think about how much Prescott wants, if this rumor is fact and he turned down 30M, and some of the other key players on this team, the more I revert back to my initial stance, play this contract out and take your chances. This would also give the new OC and QBC some wiggle room and honest analysis of his as a QB1.

erod is right, that window is controlled greatly by the ability of the QB and a top 10 one can get a nice breeze flowing through that window.

Keep the guys around him and get a guy like Jake Fromm in the draft (early example).

Id rather keep all the nuts and bolts then this QB. Romo’s contract along with Garrett destroyed the Cowboys and Dak isn’t close to Romo’s level.

Praxit

Reaction score
......with the way players now approach contract deals, its a maker and breaker. Money is the carrot. Wasn't like that before, at least not like it is now. So a window could be alot more predictable. I like to use the saying, "Take the ball and run with it". Its always now or never.

In saying that and with what I know about some players contracts. I would say, 2-3 yrs. Before it falls apart and everyone gets scattered all over the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep the guys around him and get a guy like Jake Fromm in the draft (early example).

Id rather keep all the nuts and bolts then this QB. Romo’s contract along with Garrett destroyed the Cowboys and Dak isn’t close to Romo’s level.
Depends on the type year he has at UGA, he could be out of reach. Have to look at the other teams in the QB hunt and how Herbert and Tua perform.

I have no problem with them going through this season with Prescott and using that 1st on a QB, they tried getting a QB in the first in 2015 when they had Romo.

My issue with this brain trust is that they're much more about luck in getting a QB than skill. This is like being in a singles bar ( do they still have those?) and having a solid 6 ready to go home with you but you think there's a potential 8 coming out of the ladies room any minute, what do you do?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm thinking this year is our best chance for awhile because when Dak signs some solid players are going to have to go and Byron Jones will probably be the top name on this list.

And this is correct. This is our best chance. But it really depends on if guys step up. What happens if next year hill breaks out and dominates at DT, or awuzie vecomes a shutdown int machine etc. Those variables are unknown but we know were about to lose some talented guys after this year.

75boyz

Reaction score
Depends on the type year he has at UGA, he could be out of reach. Have to look at the other teams in the QB hunt and how Herbert and Tua perform.

I have no problem with them going through this season with Prescott and using that 1st on a QB, they tried getting a QB in the first in 2015 when they had Romo.

My issue with this brain trust is that they're much more about luck in getting a QB than skill. This is like being in a singles bar ( do they still have those?) and having a solid 6 ready to go home with you but you think there's a potential 8 coming out of the ladies room any minute, what do you do?

It's the "tank for Tua" or Fromm stance from me. The whole conversation you and CATCH 17 describe in acquiring Fromm or Tua would ,in my opinion, give Dallas it's best opportunity and lengthy window of success for years to come.

I really don't think it takes a Master's Degree in college football quarterback scouting to see that either could thrive with this team's current supporting cast intact as you mentioned.

Cheap first contract, far superior natural passers with an in their prime group of veteran 25 to 29 year olds who are still searching for that elusive ring. Sounds like a recipe for success. Isn't that what the ingredients were for Dak's first contract performance? Why can't we upgrade and use the same formula just on a first rounder? And yes... Use future picks and/or players or both to achieve moving up.

Oh well, just my version of Fantasy Football. Not to be taken seriously.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm thinking this year is our best chance for awhile because when Dak signs some solid players are going to have to go and Byron Jones will probably be the top name on this list.

No, you just dont understand the salary cap.

sean10mm

Reaction score
These days, the size of your window of opportunity is directly related to the ability and age of your QB.

It's this. If Dak turns out to be the man, then the window extends as long as his body lasts. If he's not, it was never open in the first place.

Though bad coaching can close any window.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok.. We'll see if guys like Byron, La'el, Maliek, and others aren't casualties.

I dont even want Collins. Waste of money.

So you would rather Collins and Jones and Rush or Dak? LOL

Have you even seen the numbers for cap space we have coming up?

They have enough to sign all the big guys. Jones it would depend on how much he wants. You going to pay him 20 million?

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is a question for the SB or bust fans more than anyone else, those that would take 3 years of irrelevancy and rebuilding to get that elusive ring. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being that. I was years ago but now would prefer to hang around and contend more than actually win one.

The answer to that is the key to most of what we've been discussing this off season. The answer to this really helps answer most of the other salary issue questions.

If you are a window is wide open, then get everyone signed and on the team and worry about any ramifications of heavy contracts later. The time in now.

If you are a quarter of the way open fan, then you are more careful and since you don't think this team has what it takes to get that ring, then some of these players are expendable to save the cap space. The time is later.

If you are a halfway open fan, which is what I am, it gets more difficult. I want to hedge my bets that it wasn't as open as I thought and save some for the future. I want my cake and to eat it too but is that realistic?

Ya know one post that used to show up a lot was that "it's not our year, next year will be our year" and that showed up every year, without fail.

This is one of those situations that I am really on the fence because I can make a case against and for each one of these situations but the fact is if they do all of them, there is no mystery to how they perceive that window and as a fan how can I be upset with them trying to reach through it now? Isn't that what they're supposed to do, go for it? If they don't, what are they waiting for?

The more we prepare for the future, the further away it gets.
well its NOW and thatas it bring in Zeke , FT dak let Amari go in 2020..bye window you are broken when your Average QB demands 40 its over.. what next Amari 20? Id pay Zeke 15 in heartbeat find backup QB and groom wr before I pay either of those outside the top 10 egos that kind of money..

Kingofholland

Reaction score
2019 and 2020 is the window to keep most of the team intact. Can still be competitive after that, but with so many large contracts on the books need to replace some pretty good players with cheaper contracts through the draft. That and Dak's growth will ultimately determine how long they're competitive.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The best probability of reaching the Super Bowl is to mange the roster to make the playoffs every year but to avoid the "All-In" approach.

The window is closing or 1 player away concepts most often result in failure.

The 1 player away concept was the top cause of Jerry's failed moves over the years.

The Cowboys have finally moved away from that approach.
Except for Haley...and Deion. They were pretty much the one player away. Unfortunately, getting that type of free agent isn't gonna happen today.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
In today's NFL the only time a window Is closed is if you do not have a QB.