The Window, How Open Is It?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well let's see, teams go to the Superbowl. And then most of them don't even make the playoffs The Following season. So teams that go to the second round of the playoffs usually have another season left before they actually hit the championship game. So if history has anything to do with it it's two seasons at the most.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
The window is 3/4's open ; continuing with a sub par head coach is going to doom us...........................Again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well let's see, teams go to the Superbowl. And then most of them don't even make the playoffs The Following season. So teams that go to the second round of the playoffs usually have another season left before they actually hit the championship game. So if history has anything to do with it it's two seasons at the most.
Yep

Most said back in 2016 with our Rookie Sensations that our window would be 4 or 5 years until we had to begin ripping it apart . Well, we’ve already burned 3 years. I’d say that window is nearing.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The same could be said for Jerry. Not sure why he gets a pass?

I don't give Jerry a pass. I think because intuitively we know Jerry isn't going anywhere and neither is Stephen, when people want a head to roll HC is the only option.

ICP

Reaction score
Cowboys Window has too many layers....
35991317124_7bd1a24c6b_b.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You’re missing the meaning ..
Next year could be just as bright if we sign everyone.

This year could be dark and wasting the core of talent we have.

Mortgaging the future lets you live it up better today. There's no denying that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't give Jerry a pass. I think because intuitively we know Jerry isn't going anywhere and neither is Stephen, when people want a head to roll HC is the only option.
But by not holding Jerry directly accountable you don’t inadvertently are providing him a scapegoat.

He doesn’t have to go anywhere to make it known he’s the root of the problem and make him pay at least publicly. Crucifying others for his doing isn’t fair to them.

morat1959

Reaction score
We don’t have a window. We have JJ, clapper, Dak and Heath. That equals no windows.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The window opens and closes on this team . Last year Garrett was afraid of a storm of injuries and shut the window by not letting our QB play preseason with his new receiver by committee group.

Mid season Jerry shot a couple holes through the window with his sling shot and gave us some air in the form of #1 receiver and a new Oline coach . After a bit the cracked glass fell out and the window was wide open till the playoffs where Garrett promptly put some new glass in it then painted it shut before the Rams game .

Currently Jerry has a putty knife and blow torch out trying to get the paint off that's sticking the window while Kellen Moore is researching a high solvent to get it unstuck . Zeke has his buttocks pressed tightly to the glass giving Jerry the FULL MOON as he diligently works on getting the window back open

kskboys

Reaction score
This is a question for the SB or bust fans more than anyone else, those that would take 3 years of irrelevancy and rebuilding to get that elusive ring. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being that. I was years ago but now would prefer to hang around and contend more than actually win one.

The answer to that is the key to most of what we've been discussing this off season. The answer to this really helps answer most of the other salary issue questions.

If you are a window is wide open, then get everyone signed and on the team and worry about any ramifications of heavy contracts later. The time in now.

If you are a quarter of the way open fan, then you are more careful and since you don't think this team has what it takes to get that ring, then some of these players are expendable to save the cap space. The time is later.

If you are a halfway open fan, which is what I am, it gets more difficult. I want to hedge my bets that it wasn't as open as I thought and save some for the future. I want my cake and to eat it too but is that realistic?

Ya know one post that used to show up a lot was that "it's not our year, next year will be our year" and that showed up every year, without fail.

This is one of those situations that I am really on the fence because I can make a case against and for each one of these situations but the fact is if they do all of them, there is no mystery to how they perceive that window and as a fan how can I be upset with them trying to reach through it now? Isn't that what they're supposed to do, go for it? If they don't, what are they waiting for?

The more we prepare for the future, the further away it gets.
If we "pay" Dak, Coop, Zeke, and have already paid DLaw even close to what they want, that's around 100 mil/season. For 4 players. Add in the OL's and LVE and Jaylon, and ouch. Hades, forget Byron.

We'll have about 9 or 10 awesome players, and a pile of JAG's who will cost us the games. Won't work.

No, I have no idea what to do.

kskboys

Reaction score
3 years . Then it’s time to start the next rebuild.

Dallas has always wasted our best players prime years.

They wasted Romo’s best years.

2011-2014, some of his best years, and they gave him a defense that was terrible.
Not to mention the beating he took from 10-13 due to our horrific OL. And surrounding Ware w/ JAG's.

Blackrain

Reaction score
If we "pay" Dak, Coop, Zeke, and have already paid DLaw even close to what they want, that's around 100 mil/season. For 4 players. Add in the OL's and LVE and Jaylon, and ouch. Hades, forget Byron.

We'll have about 9 or 10 awesome players, and a pile of JAG's who will cost us the games. Won't work.

No, I have no idea what to do.

I would love to see us hire and pay a ton of money to a coaching staff that didn't need just short of the probowl roster to accomplish a playoff win. No cap on the coaching salaries

Only Jerrys comfort keeps us from attacking this problem correctly . Very simple put money where there is no constraints on how much you use to better the team

Last edited: