The worst day in Cowboys history

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jones revisionist history.

When you are paid the remainder of your contract and have to sit until it expires, you were fired as a Head Coach. Jimmy Johnson was still hiring assistants and scouts (see Tom Ciskowski and Mike Zimmer).

When Jimmy was fired he went to his parents and said "he took my team away". That is not a mutual agreement.

You say tomatoes and I say tomatoes. When you make someone quit on a contract and pay them off the remainder of the contract to leave, you fired them.

I’m going along with what Jimmy said watch the video. It starts at the 5:12 mark. He said he and Jerry agreed to mutually part ways. There would’ve been no press conference with Jerry and Jimmy together had Jimmy been fired. You could tell by the way they exchanged a hug after the presser that it wasn’t a firing. Jerry said the very same thing on the radio a few years ago that it was a mutual parting of ways. This has been known for 29 years but some of you still can’t get it. I can promise you with the ego Jimmy had there’s no way in hell he shows up for that press conference had he been fired. Jimmy wanted out of that relationship a lot more than Jerry did.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Amazing we actually have Cowboy fans who’d defend our owner . Wonder why ?

ESisback

Reaction score
Assumptions…if you don’t condemn someone for everything, 24/7, 365, that means you support them…stupid.

Kinda like disliking the left automatically means you love 45. Dumb.

Amazing we actually have Cowboy “fans” that can’t stop condemning the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Condemning our owner isn’t condemning the Cowboys.

Don’t have to support every moving piece to support the sum.

Much like don’t have to support our country’s leadership to still support the country.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s been rough since 96. But I promise any fan base that isn’t the Steelers, Packers, Patriots would kill for 3 Super Bowls in that time
You like those 6 CD changer car radios though.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not say that was the worst day because there have been bad days to compare. Like every HC hiring his made since Johnson and Parcells was not hired to win but to get the Big Top.

Noticed how the son is now selling the HC's skin on the wall, same as Payton's. McC was a gift. He has a ring and needed a job badly enough to go along with whatever Booger wanted.

I was in favor of the hiring because of the lack of candidates that Booger would not leave alone to do their job. I underestimated that number because that person does not exist.

Can't argue that Booger buying it and turning the football part over to Johnson got 3 more rings and we do not know what the last 26 years would have been like.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would not say that was the worst day because there have been bad days to compare. Like every HC hiring his made since Johnson and Parcells was not hired to win but to get the Big Top.

Noticed how the son is now selling the HC's skin on the wall, same as Payton's. McC was a gift. He has a ring and needed a job badly enough to go along with whatever Booger wanted.

I was in favor of the hiring because of the lack of candidates that Booger would not leave alone to do their job. I underestimated that number because that person does not exist.

Can't argue that Booger buying it and turning the football part over to Johnson got 3 more rings and we do not know what the last 26 years would have been like.
I understand why some could see other happenings as worse days but the fact remains without the day his rein begun none of the other days would have been possible .

Perhaps a better description is how the writer of this article commemorating the anniversary described it as “the day everything changed Cowboys history “ And why to me it’s our worse day.

Last edited:

DonaldM

Reaction score
Jethro is garbage. Run a NFL team right. Stupid *** Mfr. I get that it is a tough business but get out of the way you clown. Done with this idiot. Destroyed the Cowboys team.

Last edited:

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Bottom line is there are several possible candidates for "the worst day in Cowboys history?" But each and everyone has to do with Jerry Jones and some mistake he has made.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro is garbage. Run a NFL team right. Stupid *** Mfr. I get that it is a tough business but get out of the way you clown. Done with this idiot. Destroyed the Cowboys team.
Speaking of clowns ..
RPFScZp.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe the worst day is yet to come? Booger goes toes up and the son takes over.
None of it would have been possible without the initial day he took over and changed Cowboys football.

And why 2-25-89 is one of those dates forever etched in my mind

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None of it would have been possible without the initial day he took over and changed Cowboys football.

And why 2-25-89 is one of those dates forever etched in my mind
But 92, 93 and 95 are in there as well, with this jerk running the show, I doubt they see a Big Dance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But 92, 93 and 95 are in there as well, with this jerk running the show, I doubt they see a Big Dance.
Pure speculative either way but I want to believe with other ownership we might have seen a Super Bowl or two , maybe more in last 33 years and moving forward.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pure speculative either way but I want to believe with other ownership we might have seen a Super Bowl or two , maybe more in last 33 years and moving forward.
While that is truly speculation, the 3 rings are real and he deserves credit for hiring the right guy and getting out of the way. Just as he deserves blame for the last 26 for not doing that.

ESisback

Reaction score
The Ice Bowl

Super Bowl loss to Baltimore

Jackie Smith drop

Romo kick fumble

SF win with no PI call

Dez catch

Lots of other candidates.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
gregg tell everybody how you were touting garrett as the next landry and his record was better. lmao. that's one of the days.