The WR market is becoming similar to the RB market

Adreme

Reaction score
Yes, as far as aging goes, but I can see it trickling like it did with RBs.
Except it wont because the WR career peak is about 4-5 years longer than the RB peak AND WRs have a larger impact in the modern NFL than RBs do, with a few exceptions but again those guys usually only can sustain for a 3 year window before falling down to earth.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I have learned that the WR market (excluding the AJ Brown deal) is becoming similar to the running back market. Think about it. The Cardinals ended up cutting Hopkins. We traded Cooper away for a 5, but got Cooks for a 5 in a trade this year. OBJ ended up getting cut by the Browns. Plus, it makes sense. The draft usually has a lot of WRs. So, unless it's a top tier WR like AJ Brown or CeeDee Lamb where it's a player that would be incredibly hard to replace, I think it's more likely that WRs will become similar in market to RBs. Sure, they don't have the short shelf life that a RB does, but there are usually lots of WRs to choose in the draft. So, I could also see a scenario some time soon where WRs begin to not receive massive contracts (unless it's a rare WR) so that teams don't have to worry about cuts so much with them.
The center market is becoming a little like the RB market.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I have learned that the WR market (excluding the AJ Brown deal) is becoming similar to the running back market. Think about it. The Cardinals ended up cutting Hopkins. We traded Cooper away for a 5, but got Cooks for a 5 in a trade this year. OBJ ended up getting cut by the Browns. Plus, it makes sense. The draft usually has a lot of WRs. So, unless it's a top tier WR like AJ Brown or CeeDee Lamb where it's a player that would be incredibly hard to replace, I think it's more likely that WRs will become similar in market to RBs. Sure, they don't have the short shelf life that a RB does, but there are usually lots of WRs to choose in the draft. So, I could also see a scenario some time soon where WRs begin to not receive massive contracts (unless it's a rare WR) so that teams don't have to worry about cuts so much with them.
The shelf life of a running back is short than a receiver's. Just look at your comparisons: the receivers you highlighted (Cooper, Cooks, OBJ and DHop) were on their second teams (or, in the case of Cooks, his fourth team) before they were traded or let go. Their value was established in their first trade, and each fetched high draft picks.
There aren't that many high-draft-pick trades involving RBs who leave their first teams. Usually, when their first contract is up, they're allowed to test the free agent waters.
Also, this is a passing league, so sure-handed, route-running receivers are still going to be premium picks. For example, in this past draft 8 wide receivers went in the top 2 rounds compared to 3 running backs. In 2022, 13 receivers were chosen in the first two rounds compared to 3 running backs.
NFL teams are telling us which position they value more, and value translates to dollars.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You really missed the mark on this one. No way is the WR market becoming similar to the RB market. Not even close! WRs are being traded and released because teams can’t afford to pay the skyrocketing WR salaries. Only QB salaries are skyrocketing more than WR salaries. It’s hard to pay both a franchise QB and an elite WR. Teams are moving on from RBs because they have a short shelf life and the NFL is a passing league and teams don’t run the ball like they used to. Quality RBs can be found pretty easily and most teams are using a two back system. Although a couple of RBs went in the first round this past April, you don’t see that very often anymore. Teams don’t like investing high picks and paying big money for RBs because it may only take 4 or 5 years for them to hit the wall. The Browns moved on from OBJ because he wasn’t producing, was suffering injuries and had baggage. The same with the Cardinals and DeAndre Hopkins, minus the baggage. WR is one of the most coveted positions in the NFL but not with RBs.
Age wise very possibly

exciter

Reaction score
Hopkins is a rapidly declining player whose missed significant time the last 2 seasons. Cooper had just had a down season and came with a 20m cap hit. As long as colleges continue to play spread offenses and teams have to spend considerable time developing the route tree of the majority of players taken outside the top 20-25 picks then teams will continue to pay successful WRs exorbitant 2nd contracts. The two position’s ability to come in and make an immediate impact are far too different in the draft capital that must be invested and teams will continue to overdraft the WR position!

Mr_437

Reaction score
If you have a surplus of WRs coming into the league every year the theory makes sense. Teams want 3 good WRs, so that allows more guys to be employed instead of 1 to 2 good RBs. If you have too many guys the price will go down, when will the NFL get to that point idk, but I can see it coming.

kskboys

Reaction score
Don't worry, Rusty, I get what you're saying. The teams have been overvaluing WRs. That might be slowing down.

Kinda like CBs a few years ago. Teams kept overpaying them, and then couldn't wait to dump them.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm curious how they made Dallas the betting favorite. I wonder if that is legit or just a way to generate some betting interest.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Don't worry, Rusty, I get what you're saying. The teams have been overvaluing WRs. That might be slowing down.

Kinda like CBs a few years ago. Teams kept overpaying them, and then couldn't wait to dump them.

Exactly, not to mention the QB market.

kskboys

Reaction score
No it’s not. Salaries are facts.
Using salaries as the sole way to determine value makes for a weak premise.

WR's are useless w/o a good QB and DLine. There's 6 more valuable positions right there w/o leaving the pocket. Now that is a fact.

JBS

Reaction score
Using salaries as the sole way to determine value makes for a weak premise.

WR's are useless w/o a good QB and DLine. There's 6 more valuable positions right there w/o leaving the pocket. Now that is a fact.
Ok. Sure. GMs pay elite positions. It’s quite easy to understand

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I may be off base. I was thinking based on the older WRs being traded for little or cut could begin to trickle down before long. My thinking is because of the massive amounts of money that WRs are being paid now. If you look at the draft, there are a lot of WRs that hit the draft market. So, I could see GMs take the approach of trade or cutting a WR and drafting one younger instead of signing a WR to massive money. I think this would start a trickle down similar to what happened to RBs.
Didn't work out well for Tennessee, Green Bay or Baltimore last year. They traded away their top WR's and felt it big time. Dont confuse older or underperforming WR's being cut or traded for peanuts as a sign the WR position is being devalued. It is most certainly not, and wont be

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is arguable.
No it isnt. WR is tied with DE in terms of salary and also has a strong coralation with winning. Especially when you factor in QB's on rookie scale deals. Look at the difference players like Diggs, Brown, Hill, and Cooper had on Allen, Hurts, Tagovailoa, and Prescott. WR's get paid a premium because its one of the most important positions on the field

Jarntt

Reaction score
The two markets are not close. Here are the top 5 contracts at each position:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/contract-value/wide-receiver/

2023 Wide Receiver Contract Value Rankings​

PLAYERPOSCONTRACT VALUE

Davante Adams

LV
WR $140,000,000

Tyreek Hill

MIA
WR $120,000,000