CFZ The X Factor is Michael Gallup

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After Dallas signed Jason Peters last week, the Cowboys suddenly became a player again — a player to make the playoffs, at least.

The thing is, there aren't many fans saying we don't have a shot at the playoffs. Even the most bitter and pessimistic fans know deep down that this team has a good chance of making the playoffs.

But winning is the name of the game, and the Cowboys haven't done that since . . . well, you know the answer to that.

For those doubting this team, I don't think they understand how far medicine has advanced in the area of ACL surgeries because they never include Gallup in the conversation. And we all know that if the Dallas Cowboys could do something to speed up Michael Gallup's recovery time, they would.

I'm not going to say that Gallup will play or he won't play. But I think there's a good possibility that he may actually be ready to play right now, due to advancements in the are of ACL tears and stem cell research, which has shown to reduce recovery time, drastically.

He's already been out there doing reps, and if he was going to play, they would be foolish to announce it right now. Because you gameplan a certain way for certain guys. Defending Michael Gallup is a lot different than defending Jalen Tolbert, for now at least, although I do have high expectations for Tolbert, and Fehoko.

But down the stretch, if Gallup comes back the same player he was before the injury, or stronger, he's just sort of the x-factor on offense.

I'm sort of getting the feeling that he'll be out there for game 2, if not game 1.

Just a hunch on my part.

I've been wrong before. And I would never fault them for keeping him healthy, but you know Jerry, the gambling man. He's got some new toys to play with on offense.

Whatever the true status of Gallup's health is, let's not break our toys, so can't play with them come that Christmas time of year when it really counts.
Nice flip flop!

quickccc

Reaction score
So we have an XFactor that has had his injury- durability problems and it's no guarantee how quickly he will recover from ACL injury ?

And some ACL recoveries can take about a year before a player returns to near previous form.

Practice and walk thru drills is one thing, but actual full game ..full speed, ...full hitting contact
and in some cases, it's actually more about mental state, ..than it is physically.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know Gallup has had some bright spots but is he really "all that" enough to put Dallas over field in the NFC?

:popcorn:
Love the guy, but I think he is a middle of the pack #2 rcvr. Just doesn’t get enough separation

great sideline pass catcher though

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Nice flip flop!

On which part?

The part about couching this stuff about his injury within a wall of text a while back?

If you're talking about that, maybe. I just think that we're playing the Patriots next week. And if anyone is going to know about these advancements, then it'll surely be Brady, his trainer, and just his crew in general.

That said, the rest of the NFL has medical staff as well. So it's not like the possibility he may recover faster nowadays is exactly a secret anymore.

I think the procedure likely dates back a little further than recently, but just passed by the FDA. Like I said, other teams have to already expect this.

I know Gallup has had some bright spots but is he really "all that" enough to put Dallas over field in the NFC?

:popcorn:

Yes, when he's on his game, he's another 1,000 yard WR, or more. At times he's been more productive than Cooper.

It all depends on how fast his recovery happens, to what degree he's recovered, and whether or not he's still the same player after the injury.

We shall see.

Last edited:

TheHerd

Reaction score
Would not be shocked to see Gallup play Sunday Night.
Godwin did his knee in week 15 and he'll be on the field Sunday night. And I'm sure everyone here assumes he'll be his old self. Gallup had his injury 2 weeks later. I know all injuries and recoveries are unique, but Gallup should be back in a similar time frame - week 3 or 4.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Jerry said on a radio show the other morning ( I stress morning assuming he was sober) that if it was the Superbowl then Gallup would play but at the beginning of a 17 game schedule the risk/reward is totally different.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Godwin did his knee in week 15 and he'll be on the field Sunday night. And I'm sure everyone here assumes he'll be his old self. Gallup had his injury 2 weeks later. I know all injuries and recoveries are unique, but Gallup should be back in a similar time frame - week 3 or 4.
He sounds like he is doing well.
Dr. Jerry even said so, haha

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I agree. If we win Sunday night I could see them pushing him a week further down the road.

If the WR group comes out and struggles Sunday the decision becomes much more desperate.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
On which part?

The part about couching this stuff about his injury within a wall of text a while back?

If you're talking about that, maybe. I just think that we're playing the Patriots next week. And if anyone is going to know about these advancements, then it'll surely be Brady, his trainer, and just his crew in general.

That said, the rest of the NFL has medical staff as well. So it's not like the possibility he may recover faster nowadays is exactly a secret anymore.

I think the procedure likely dates back a little further than recently, but just passed by the FDA. Like I said, other teams have to already expect this.

Yes, when he's on his game, he's another 1,000 yard WR, or more. At times he's been more productive than Cooper.

It all depends on how fast his recovery happens, to what degree he's recovered, and whether or not he's still the same player after the injury.

We shall see.

buddy, you were Mr cry baby WR position is a disaster guy all season long. Complaining about Gallup missing half the season yada yada yada. i was the one telling you that there was no big issue.

And now your trying to tell us about the miraculous medical sciences and that Gallup really isnt going to miss much time?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sorry to inform you ppl, but MG won't be the same player we knew when he returns, for a few games.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
buddy, you were Mr cry baby WR position is a disaster guy all season long. Complaining about Gallup missing half the season yada yada yada. i was the one telling you that there was no big issue.

And now your trying to tell us about the miraculous medical sciences and that Gallup really isnt going to miss much time?

Uh, you show me one post where I said that.

Gallup is my favorite player on the team. And I haven't complained at all about his injury. It's not like you can do much for a torn ACL right after it happens, but there have been advancements where high school players were back after a torn ACL in a matter of weeks, not months, due to advancements.

If Gallup has undergone this type of surgery, which I suspect he has, then he could theoretically be back in game 1. Because the recovery time, at least as far as the examples of high-school athletes that I've read show them coming back in a few weeks, to play basketball. Basketball isn't football, but it is still a sport that requires a lot of movement.

If you said there was no big issue, what does that even mean? I still want to see some of our young guys out there, I just think the media talking heads, critics, etcetera, leave out the fct that we have Michael Gallup, who I'd argue has the potential to be even better than Cooper.

Before his injury, he had a stretch there when he even outperformed Lamb, production-wise.

Jerry said on a radio show the other morning ( I stress morning assuming he was sober) that if it was the Superbowl then Gallup would play but at the beginning of a 17 game schedule the risk/reward is totally different.

You should be able to get two likes for making your post contingent on Jerry's sobriety, which we all know is an issue.

I agree. If we win Sunday night I could see them pushing him a week further down the road.

If the WR group comes out and struggles Sunday the decision becomes much more desperate.

I personally think Moore will lean on the fact that we have 3 dangerous weapons at TE. That's what I would do.

I'd make that a good part of our identity.

Shane612

Reaction score
Meh....
None of the current crop of cowboys wideouts excites me, not even Lamb.
I believe the cowboys should have done more to keep Cedrick Wilson.
For whatever it's worth, Wilson had slightly better stats than Gallup last year. And I think Gallup is too injury prone.

Shane612

Reaction score
It really is becoming a league where unless the rookie you drafted is a sure fire HOF its best to let them walk and draft their replacement.
Well, there are only so many HOFers to go around. Unless Deion Sanders is correct about who they vote in these days.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Meh....
None of the current crop of cowboys wideouts excites me, not even Lamb.
I believe the cowboys should have done more to keep Cedrick Wilson.
For whatever it's worth, Wilson had slightly better stats than Gallup last year. And I think Gallup is too injury prone.

What would Lamb have to do to excite you?