The Zeke Conundrum

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Do we keep Zeke for next season ( not this coming season)? If not do we make a move on Sermon in round 2? Zeke makes a ton of money. Sermon is a cheaper version of Zeke imho. It is an interesting take I think. It bears thought...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Do we keep Zeke for next season ( not this coming season)? If not do we make a move on Sermon in round 2? Zeke makes a ton of money. Sermon is a cheaper version of Zeke imho. It is an interesting take I think. It bears thought...
This is a young man’s game. Are we built to bang the ball. That’s the only question , if you keep Elliot or not. There’s a lot of things I don’t like about him there’s a lot of things I like about him. It’s all about the scheme as much is the player. It’s not personal. So in my opinion the answer is no I would let him go

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Bring in some competition for Zeke. Use a middle round pick on a RB. If he fumbles. Sit his fat head down. I don’t care how much he makes. If he comes in fat. Bench him. Competition Only makes the team better

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One last time. This is it about Elliot. This is About running the ball. So until that question is answered.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bring in some competition for Zeke. Use a middle round pick on a RB. If he fumbles. Sit his fat head down. I don’t care how much he makes. If he comes in fat. Bench him. Competition Only makes the team better
That’s my most disappointing thing about Elliot, is putting the ball on the ground. But that’s any running back. That’s why Buffalo lost the Super Bowl. We knew he was going to put the ball on the ground. Thurman Thomas. I’m starting to think that way about Elliot. But it’s still not the question. The question is what kind of offensive scheme we have

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love that you keep the personal out of it.

tenor.gif

phildadon86

Reaction score
No premium picks on a RB. Take a stab at someone late rounds this year if need be. If you think you'll part with Zeke next year then go higher next draft.
Draft Javonte Williams in the 3rd. IF he makes it that far.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Draft Javonte Williams in the 3rd. IF he makes it that far.
I don’t care who the running back is. If you could hold onto the ball if you can catch it out of the backfield the rest is about the line as much is the running back. The scheme. Different running backs bring different let’s say attributes

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Zeke just doesnt seem to be the same back to me anymore. I mean he is pretty good but man he gets paid alot and I think you could get similar production from Sermon. Its a tough question. The thing that irks me about Zeke is how many times he takes himself out, it is alot. Its tough for me to answer this question. Sermon really does remind me of Zeke tho.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke just doesnt seem to be the same back to me anymore. I mean he is pretty good but man he gets paid alot and I think you could get similar production from Sermon. Its a tough question. The thing that irks me about Zeke is how many times he takes himself out, it is alot. Its tough for me to answer this question. Sermon really does remind me of Zeke tho.
Very good points. I hate that he takes him self out of the game. I’ll be staying as a decoy. I hate that he tripped over his own ego on the goal line too often puts the ball in the ground. But there’s no one else I’d rather have if I need a third down conversion. Nope it’s about money and scheme. And he just doesn’t fit either

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Zeke got the money and security.... Fat and happy... Why push himself... Bring in a young hungry guy and I bet Zeke won't tap out...

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don’t care who the running back is. If you could hold onto the ball if you can catch it out of the backfield the rest is about the line as much is the running back. The scheme. Different running backs bring different let’s say attributes
The running back I brought up is very similar to Nick Chubb. So. He does fit our scheme because he is good at getting hit in the backfield and continuing to run lol

Creeper

Reaction score

The answer to the first question is, let's see how he does behind the healthy OL in 2021. The answer to the 2nd question is, no. I would not use a 2nd round pick on a RB when there are so many other needs on this team. However, I would definitely consider using the 3rd round comp pick or early 4th round pick on a RB if one is available. btw, I am hoping we have preseason games this year so w can see what Rico Dowdle can do. I thought in limited plays last year he showed some things.

As an FYI, cutting Zeke after 2021 saves $1.6 million against the CAP even with $10.8 million in dead CAP money. Cutting him after 2022 saves $4.2 million. I do think they should prepare to move on from Zeke over the next 2 years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas should be in the market for a depth RB regardless. But not in the top 50 picks.
One of those R3 or R4 if the value is right then sure.
Zeke's situation will crystalize across the season. No decision should be made either way now.
He's the lead dog, every down back.