Theories on Game 1 last year?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Looking back for a bit before any concrete news emerges about the Boys. What are yalls theories on why the offense looked so different week 1 (you could extend this to weeks 1-3) verses the rest of the season?

I’m not referring to the competition of the teams we played also, because it’s not like we blew them out playing classic JG offensive football. This is strictly about the scheme, we’ve seen JG coached teams have blowouts before (Jaguars 2018), but it still looked schematically like any other game.

We motioned, shifted, and RPO’d the Giants to death week 1. I’d never seen the team do that before, it was almost shocking. I remember the game thread as well, most people were genuinely surprised at what they were seeing schematically.

Where do y’all think that went?

Because the HC was more interested in being ideology as opposed to empiricism. He held onto the idea that 90s style offense and veteran players were better than what was actually working in the present.

It's why we went back to the same hackneyed dropbacks, route combos, formations, and gameplans as opposed to embracing motion, consistent PA, avoiding down tendencies, and countering what the defense was employing.

It's why Jason Witten got 4.5 times as many snaps as Tony Pollard.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Looking back for a bit before any concrete news emerges about the Boys. What are yalls theories on why the offense looked so different week 1 (you could extend this to weeks 1-3) verses the rest of the season?

I’m not referring to the competition of the teams we played also, because it’s not like we blew them out playing classic JG offensive football. This is strictly about the scheme, we’ve seen JG coached teams have blowouts before (Jaguars 2018), but it still looked schematically like any other game.

We motioned, shifted, and RPO’d the Giants to death week 1. I’d never seen the team do that before, it was almost shocking. I remember the game thread as well, most people were genuinely surprised at what they were seeing schematically.

My guess is the strength of team the Boys were playing against.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Kellen Moore was calling the plays but it was still Garretts offensive playbook. That also takes us to the fact that Garrett never believed in scheming for games and they rarely would try to attack a teams weakness. That is why the Cowboys were able to roll over the weak teams and couldnt beat a team with equal talent. Moores play calling became stale without scheme to help it each week.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
PLEASE don't take personal OP. But I could care less about looking back at any year, any game that Garrett has haunted us w/over the past decade. I can't stand the man football wise for wasting so much talent over the years w/his medicore, conservative coaching.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I'm only asking but why would you start a thread about week 1 last season which talks about a coach that's no longer here. Why not also ask what happened since the 13-3 2017 season too. At some point you have to let last season go including weeks 1-3.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don’t have answers. I just can’t buy Garrett intentionally sabotaging himself and his team by getting more conservative.
Of course not. His scheme was simple and needed no game plan. There was no adjustments. We either run heavy or pass a lot. The first 3 games this past year was against lesser teams but it sure seemed like we used more motion and misdirection. As soon as we faced a known better team it looked to revert back to back he same old game plan. I think that was JG decision. It was his last stand. He hopes he had the talent to line up and beat the team across from them. We didn’t have the consistent Defense and had no ST. We had all long drives starting deep in our own territory. We traveled enough yards in those drives to get us ranked as the top Offense. But went 8-8. JG failed by not addressing the ST early in the season.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don’t have answers. I just can’t buy Garrett intentionally sabotaging himself and his team by getting more conservative.
I can. Considering at the end of the season he tried blaming Kellen to hold onto his job.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we won all the close game in 2018 but lost most of them in 2019,red zone problems were a major factor.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn’t just that though..

They went into a complete shell against New Orleans.

Yeah, it's not ike they even tried running those same plays and had them shut down, you just didn't even see them attempted on the field.

That's not your opponent stopping them, it's you stopping yourself. Whether that was Garrett influence, or Moore himself overthinking things, it was self-inflicted.

One thing that I have seen as a trend of the Garrett tenure is players - specifically quarterbacks - overthinking things and getting more conservative the longer they're here. Almost as if they had someone in the ear negatively affecting their confidence and turning them all into check-down machines, scared to throw the ball.

Dak was even developing some of those same tendencies until last season, when some new voices in Moore and Kitna changed that.

But again, it's tough to succeed with plays that you stop calling.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He did, because he is terrible.

He CRIPPLED the offense week 4, b/c he sucks. I mean, we all heard the "this offensive gameplan has Jason Garret all over it" comment from Tony. He was spot on.

JG stepped in and completely derailed an offense that was a) modern and b) dominant, because he still thinks a brand of football that worked in 1995 will work today.

aria

Reaction score
I know you don’t want to talk about level of competition but that’s what it was. I clearly remember myself and a few others being bashed because we were being cautiously optimistic after those first three games when the majority of fans were slamming the Jerry Aid. We literally played 3 of the worst teams in the league, it’s that simple.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Level of competition, and teams watch tape. There’s no mystery, and no conspiracy here. We were an effective offense all year last year.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

This is the problem with Garrett and I’m surprised more people don’t see it. He didn’t view it as sabotaging the team. He saw the offense perform like it did in weeks 1 and 2 and had to endure all the love and admiration being bestowed on Kellen Moore. Garrett likely concluded that the offense was finally talented enough to actually run his system and have success which would bring all that praise on him and help him get a new contract. He is simply that arrogant and unwilling to accept the truth about his offense so he took more and more control over the offensive scheme. It’s obvious this happened because week 1 and 2 were clearly schemed for the opponent as the offenses was slightly different in these games. Once Garrett took over, it was the same every week and that is a hallmark of Garrett’s offense. It doesn’t scheme to attack weaknesses, it’s the same scheme every week no matter who you play or what defense they run. It’s line up and try to out execute your opponent no matter if they are better than you or not. That is exactly what we saw last year from about week 4 on.

Creeper

Reaction score
Its a good question. Something changed in their minds. Why did the make Devin Smith inactive after the first few games when he seemed to be fairly effective early? I am not saying he was a star but he made some catches, showed some ability to make big plays and added a deep threat. I heard the story about how he does not play special teams but that made little sense to me. I think this is one of the things McCarthy is going to change for the better.

garyo1954

Reaction score
The team strategist, doctor, lawyer, showman, and spokesman; the guy with all the money in the world who thinks of Dez Bryant in the shower........that's who you're looking for.

After Chan Gailey he insisted on going back to the same timing based offense that won those Super Bowls in the 1990s. For one, Gary Kubiak listened to this brilliant idea and said, "Thanks, but no thanks." And wisely Jerry hand picked the guy who could run the offense he wanted, Dave Campo.

Jerry likes winning. But Coach Jerry wants to win his way.

How many times does he have to say, “I’ve been running this team the same way ever since I bought it?”

And we all know the answer to how he's been running this team since he bought it.

817Gill

Reaction score
I'm only asking but why would you start a thread about week 1 last season which talks about a coach that's no longer here. Why not also ask what happened since the 13-3 2017 season too. At some point you have to let last season go including weeks 1-3.
Holy crap dude every time I start a thread are you gonna question the need for its existence? It's a FORUM, people post things to discuss about and those interested in the discussion participate. Lol why do you go to threads to complain about the topic of the thread? Just be chill lol, either contribute or press the back button and find another thread.

817Gill

Reaction score
He did, because he is terrible.

He CRIPPLED the offense week 4, b/c he sucks. I mean, we all heard the "this offensive gameplan has Jason Garret all over it" comment from Tony. He was spot on.

JG stepped in and completely derailed an offense that was a) modern and b) dominant, because he still thinks a brand of football that worked in 1995 will work today.

Wow great tweet, literally week 4 was the return of Garrett-ball fully

817Gill

Reaction score
I know you don’t want to talk about level of competition but that’s what it was. I clearly remember myself and a few others being bashed because we were being cautiously optimistic after those first three games when the majority of fans were slamming the Jerry Aid. We literally played 3 of the worst teams in the league, it’s that simple.
Yeah people were rightfully being cautiously optimistic that the success wouldn't last, and that was warranted. But that's a convenient way to ignore how the success didn't last. The tweet I quoted above is a clear indicator that we made detrimental schematic changes and reverted to classic Garrett tendencies. I implore you to look at highlights or rewatch the Giants game, then rewatch the Saints game. You cannot tell me there wasn't a difference in the tendencies and motion, shifting, RPO, etc