There’s no grace period for Mike McCarthy

CowboysRule

Reaction score
It all depends on the defense. The offense is good enough to get this team where they need to be if they have the help of a defense. Too many times we've seen teams just score at will on us. That needs to end. We've made a lot of changes on the D, we just have to hope things play out like we hope.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 wins or more, win the division, win a playoff game. Many will be same old Cowboys. But that may be considered a success still.
New coach and staff, new defense, mostly a new offense. No OTA's, or practices, probably a more limited TC, as they cut down, again, on padded practices.

Replacing a pro bowl C, Jarwin really taking over for Witten. Who emerges at RDE, still unknown about CB's and S's play. On paper better at DT.
Still needing players on defense if no one steps up and make critical stops, get turnovers.

As I said a playoff wins is a start. But also it is how they get those wins, and how they lose. Hard fought game, just get out played. Or is the coaching at fault. I doubt that part, not like the old regime anyway.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It all depends on the defense. The offense is good enough to get this team where they need to be if they have the help of a defense. Too many times we've seen teams just score at will on us. That needs to end. We've made a lot of changes on the D, we just have to hope things play out like we hope.
Try not to have high expectations on that side of the ball. Alot of transition there, and we have some band aides. I think real improvement will happen when some of the youth we added (Diggs, Gallimore, amd possibly Robinson and Anae) come into their own.

We have done well in yardage allowed the last 3 years. I can see us going backwards there this year. We have done poorly with turnovers. I can see us go forward their this year. Good thing is turnover are more important as far as winning games

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
10 wins or more, win the division, win a playoff game. Many will be same old Cowboys. But that may be considered a success still.
New coach and staff, new defense, mostly a new offense. No OTA's, or practices, probably a more limited TC, as they cut down, again, on padded practices.

Replacing a pro bowl C, Jarwin really taking over for Witten. Who emerges at RDE, still unknown about CB's and S's play. On paper better at DT.
Still needing players on defense if no one steps up and make critical stops, get turnovers.

As I said a playoff wins is a start. But also it is how they get those wins, and how they lose. Hard fought game, just get out played. Or is the coaching at fault. I doubt that part, not like the old regime anyway.
I think McCarthy has to get to at least one NFCCG in his first three year, or he will be coaching for his job in his 4th.

The optimist in me thinks he can do it this year. However year 2 is probably more rational

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Try not to have high expectations on that side of the ball. Alot of transition there, and we have some band aides. I think real improvement will happen when some of the youth we added (Diggs, Gallimore, amd possibly Robinson and Anae) come into their own.

We have done well in yardage allowed the last 3 years. I can see us going backwards there this year. We have done poorly with turnovers. I can see us go forward their this year. Good thing is turnover are more important as far as winning games

I believe our front 7 should be one of the top units in the league. Barring injury.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I believe our front 7 should be one of the top units in the league. Barring injury.

Yeah, it's the secondary that's a big question mark. Going to need a good, consistent pass rush.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think McCarthy has to get to at least one NFCCG in his first three year, or he will be coaching for his job in his 4th.

The optimist in me thinks he can do it this year. However year 2 is probably more rational

Agree, needs to get there in his 2nd or 3rd year. I also think his 2nd is more reasonable. But to win the division this year is very possible.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thats ambitious, but I dont think you are crazy for predicting that. There are a few other reasons I think you are crazy, but this isnt the thread.

Alot depends on Gregory and Smith. Edge pressure is huge in this league. Lawrence's sack numbers will be back over 10. He graded out elite in win rate and double rate. His sack total was an anomaly. Happened to Dwight Freeney before too

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah, it's the secondary that's a big question mark. Going to need a good, consistent pass rush.

We should be making most teams one dimensional by the time the 2nd half rolls around. Get out to leads in the first half and with Poe and McCoy in the middle I don't expect many teams are going to be able to run on us. Linebackers will be freed up to make plays.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agree, needs to get there in his 2nd or 3rd year. I also think his 2nd is more reasonable. But to win the division this year is very possible.

100%. The team has been softened to mush over the last 14 years, to make them a Superbowl team in year one would be amazing. I am judging him on the success of this 5 year contract. Play in the championship game 2-3 times and win a ring or 2 and its been a huge success. Now that doesn't mean, I won't be cursing my head off if there is a 3 game losing streak, but the offseason allows us to make statements without emotion involved.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I for one won't be calling for his head if we go 9-7 and don't make the play offs. As good as things look for him here, he has to be allowed 1 year to really understand what he has. That said, I am expecting us to be much improved which would naturally lead to a division title and play offs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I for one won't be calling for his head if we go 9-7 and don't make the play offs. As good as things look for him here, he has to be allowed 1 year to really understand what he has. That said, I am expecting us to be much improved which would naturally lead to a division title and play offs.

The lack of off season preparation of having a new HC and staff, schemes will hurt more than many realize.
You know how that will go with some on here. :laugh:

But same here, I will not be saying, wrong move by Jerry. In the long run, over the next 5 years, it will prove to be the right move.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Thats ambitious, but I dont think you are crazy for predicting that. There are a few other reasons I think you are crazy, but this isnt the thread.

Alot depends on Gregory and Smith. Edge pressure is huge in this league. Lawrence's sack numbers will be back over 10. He graded out elite in win rate and double rate. His sack total was an anomaly. Happened to Dwight Freeney before too

Completely agree on Lawrence. Aldon and Gregory I believe will be more than solid at RDE. The real upgrade is in the middle with the 3 new guys. Tough against the run and we will be getting a great push up the middle on pass rush downs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
there is talent on the offensive side and I think the offense is going to have to carry the team for a while. one thing for sure, the in game coaching mistakes will be minimal and probably make much better decisions at crucial moments that cost us at least 3 games last year..... defense has a lot of new parts and lot of questions. two new older DTs is that really improvement? behind them outside of woods, there is unproven talent....talent yes, but unproven....we lost jones so CB spot is a question mark. we got great value in Riggs, but he is a rookie CB. top 5 talent struggle in their first year.....everyone was happy we got rid of Heath, but is HaHa imrpvement...he is now bouncing around from team to team. we believed in him so much, we gave him a one year peanut contract. and the RDE is a mess right now. there is 6 players and everyone is hoping, keeping their fingers crossed one or two of them step up...until they do, there is some talent, but lots of question marks.

the special teams should be much improved. no more missing 10 40 yard kicks that cost us a game (or two)...

so this team should on paper, with better coaching, with better special team make the playoffs....but success in the playoffs is tough. playoffs is more about coaches than players since teams that get there have talent, so we do have the right coach. success in the playoffs is about teams hitting their stride at the right time, will the defense hit its stride by then....

if we win a playoff game, we have done tremendous...absolutely great.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I think defense will take half the season to really get going. If they can remain healthy.